Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : the Narrow Road

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

the Narrow Road

The bible talks about the way to salvation being the narrow road and there are few who find it. How much exactly is 'few'? We hear of revivals here and there and how thousands of people supposedly come to Jesus. So much so that I often marvel that there isn't much in the camp of revival going on unless someone is pushing it down.

With as many stories as I read about revival's how much of them are real? Authentic? After all, salvation is a narrow road. What is the percentage of that then?

2013/3/27 21:35Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: the Narrow Road

The narrow path I believe is about repentance and obedience. It is the place where Christ asks you to deny temptation to sin. It's the hard road the road that leads to life.

By default the Lord wants a persons whole heart. We may be saved with tumultuous joy but slowly but surely the Lord demands our sanctification to become a reality in our lives.

This is because I believe it is the only thing mentioned in scripture which draws us to a close walk with God where both He and you can share each other intimately.

James 4v8 Draw near to God and he will draw near to you, cleanse your hands you sinners and purify your hearts you double minded.

I wouldn't know how many revivals are real but I know it's a word that is mentioned a lot nowadays. Often to catch peoples interest in promoting a series of meetings.

But as to how many carry on to the narrow path I wouldn't like to guess. It's a fearful thing that people aren't following that.

Isaiah 30 v 21 Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," Whenever you turn to the right hand Or whenever you turn to the left.

22 (Then you will repent) << my words

23 Then He will give the rain for your seed With which you sow the ground, And bread of the increase of the earth; It will be fat and plentiful. In that day your cattle will feed In large pastures.

2013/3/28 7:34Profile
turn

USA

Re:

davidkeel, IMHO, good post. Thx.

2013/3/28 10:15Profile
sonofthunder

Son Of Thunder i come from a land down under, due south at the bottom of your work globes

Re:

Here's the thing:

We all want to be happy in christ:

Come to Jesus and be happy and satisfied.

Few however want to enter into his sufferings.

We just want the thrills and with no-frills

Trials and tribulations: why whats that?

Im a kings kid - and want endless happiness and joy:

But Woe unto you that laugh now Jesus said.

Dont be fooled or sucked in by the God enjoyment message beloved:

For you have your consolation.

The picture paul painted was this.

Endure HARDNESS

AS A GOOD SOLDIER OF JESUS CHRIST.

Kings kids mentality seeks bliss - but not battle:

2013/3/28 10:29Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Amen, brothers. It is about being tested, and enduring trials, maturing in Christ and having Him formed within us. Less of us and more of Him.

1Pe 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
1Pe 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:
1Pe 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

We are conformed to the image of Christ through much tribulation. And through much tribulation we will enter the kingdom of God. And that's a promise! Tribulation is not just prison camps. It is the Cross applied to the flesh in daily life. Then, are you able to walk in love.

I wish it were easier. You know, just read a book or something, but there is not. We need the fellowship of His sufferings.

Php_3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

2013/3/29 1:04Profile
a-servant

Re:

"Tribulation is also the Cross applied to the flesh in daily life" - exactly. Does the "broad way" group want to go the way of the cross? No, they think of it as foolishness. That same foolishness is the narrow way however. Mat 7:14  Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

The narrowness of the narrow way is decribed further down in its own context. These are the ones that also thought they have entered, but by the broadway access: Matthew 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

So what is the dividing line, which ones are unknown to Jesus? - They that work iniquity. Also called lawnessness. They confess his name, are engaged in activities dedicated to Jesus, yet they themselves are overcome by their sin nature. Therefore they may understand Romans 8 intellectually regarding the walk in the Spirit, but they not really walk in it, or are seduced by a counterfeit spirit that convinced them they would be walking by grace in the Holy Spirit. Lawlessness also indicates contempt for the law of God and the commandments of Jesus, so they are not only lawless but also disobedient.

Same/related warning as in Mat 7:22 here in Jude 1:4  For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

How do they deny our Lord Jesus Christ? By distorting grace to be what it's not, a lifestyle in sin and breaking the commandments of God. How do we know that? 1 John is all about verification tests, so we know who we are in reality:

1 John 3:7  Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.  He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning.

That is like a snapshot verification of "status report of today" - not an attainment plan, just like this one, snapshot proof of knowing Jesus: 1 John 2:3  And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments

It comes down to how we regard personal sin in our own life, if you always excuse your own sins and never repent, you are in trouble and don't even know it. We find His grace again in repentance. And are given His Spirit of power to turn at His reproof. Whenever you are convicted of sin or false ways you previously regarded as truth - and not turn at His reproof, you are avoiding the cross and invest in your personal iniquity account instead. What would leave you in a state of:

2 Tim 3:5  Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

They deny the cross and the Holy Spirit power to overcome sin and every false way. Their form of godliness is an imitation.

1 Cor 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

That is the overcomer statement, they are the ones that accept the cross and cooperate with the Holy Spirit. The cross is more painful because you have to give up your pride, ignorance and vanity, however you then actually are walking in the Romans 8 Holy Spirit and not in the flesh or traditions of men.

2013/3/29 7:46Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Thank you 'Turn'

2013/3/29 9:37Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Yeah, that was good, Turn.

People think grace is free but it's not.

It will cost you everything!

2013/3/29 11:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Years ago I read an article in the "US News and World Report" magazine that enlightened me on this issue. The topic dealt with training people to be soldiers on how to endure battlefield situations.

They had a picture of soldiers in full uniform crawling through mud a long ways - seems like it said a mile, am not sure. This exercise was to teach them to be tough.

I got to thinking - how tough am I? Would I be willing to crawl through mud for one mile for my LORD? Now I hate mud with a passion...still the issues remains - how much comfort am I willing to sacrifice for the sake of Christ?

2013/3/29 11:55Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Yeah, Ginny, I know what you mean. I have also come to learn that it is not about physical comfort so much as it is about our "flesh". Let me explain.

It is not necessarily about shunnin a nice abode, comfortable couch, running water or electricity. External "comforts" are not where the battle necessarily is.

The battle is in the self-will of the flesh. It may be "uncomfortable" for us to humble ourselves and admit we are wrong and ask forgiveness. We can become hard-hearted then. This is not the hardness that the Scriptures enjoin us to endure, is it?

When the Spirit speaks to us to do something, the flesh may not like it. In fact, it NEVER will like what the Spirit says. It is not "comfortable". Why? Because when the Spirit speaks to us, it always involves the Cross and the Cross is not comfortable to the flesh. The Flesh will do anything to escape the Cross.

So, it is not about being "tough" as in can you survive without a toilet and have to use an outhouse, or you don't have enough money for a convenient appliance.

It is more about, the struggle between the flesh and the spirit and how the flesh struggles to stay away from the cross.

The flesh does not want to love others or forgive. The flesh wants to have its own way, be the center of attention and just be selfish. The flesh can even be extremely religious and relish in the fact that it does not have physical conveniences and then boast about living a meager life for the Lord. This too is fleshly.

Psa_51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

No, it is not about how tough we are, but about how soft our heart is toward the Lord.

Do we resist God's authority in our life? Do we have an ear to hear God's voice? Is our heart tender-hearted to the voice of the Holy Spirit? Do we mourn when we fail the Lord, or do we justify, minimize and blameshift? Do we want to be governed by God in every area of our life, or govern our own life and make our own decisions?

With love in Christ,
Pilgrim

2013/3/29 12:37Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy