SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : God’s Word Demands Your Immediate Attention! By Charles H. Spurgeon

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 God’s Word Demands Your Immediate Attention! By Charles H. Spurgeon

"The mouth of the Lord hath spoken it" (Isa. 1:20).

Every word which God has given us in the Bible claims our attention because of the infinite majesty of Him that spoke it. What voice is like His voice? "The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is full of majesty. The voice of the Lord breaketh the cedars; yea, the Lord breaketh the cedars of Lebanon...The voice of the Lord shaketh the wilderness; the Lord shaketh the wilderness of Kadesh" (Psa. 29:4-8). "See that ye refuse not Him that speaketh" (Heb. 12:25).

God’s Word has a claim upon your attention because of His majesty, but, further, it should win your ear because of its intrinsic importance. "The mouth of the Lord hath spoken it" – then it is no trifle. God never speaks vanity. No line of His writing treats of the frivolous themes of a day. That which may be forgotten in an hour is for mortal man and not for the eternal God. When the Lord speaks, His speech is God-like and its themes are worthy of One whose dwelling is infinity and eternity. God does not play with you, Man – will you trifle with Him? Will you treat Him as if He were altogether such a one as yourself? God is in earnest when He speaks to you – will you not in earnest listen?

He speaks to you of great things which have to do with your soul and its destiny. "It is not a vain thing for you. Because it is your life." Your eternal existence, your happiness or your misery, hang on your treatment of that which the mouth of the Lord has spoken. Concerning eternal realities He speaks to you. I pray you, be not so unwise as to turn away your ear. Act not as if the Lord and His trust were nothing to you. Treat not the Word of the Lord as a secondary thing, which might wait your leisure and receive attention when no other work was before you. Put all else aside and hearken to your God.

Depend upon it – if "the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it," there is an urgent, pressing necessity. God breaks not silence to say that which might as well have remained unsaid – His voice indicates great urgency. Today, if you will hear His voice, hear it. For He demands immediate attention. God does not speak without abundant reason. And, O my hearer, if He speaks to you by His Word, I beseech you, believe that there must be overwhelming cause for it! I know what Satan says – he tells you that you can do very well without listening to God’s Word. I know what your carnal heart whispers – it says, "Listen to the voice of business and of pleasure. But listen not to God." But, oh, if the Holy Spirit shall teach your reason to be reasonable and put your mind in mind of true wisdom, you will acknowledge that the first thing you have to do is to heed your Maker!

You can hear the voices of others another time. But your ear must hear God first since He is first, and that which He speaks must be of first importance. Without delay do you make haste to keep His commandments? Without reserve answer to His call and say, "Speak, Lord, for Your servant hears."

No business has any importance in it compared with this – this is the master theme of all. It is your soul, your own soul, your ever-existing soul which is concerned, and it is your God that is speaking to you. Do hear Him, I beseech you. Hearken diligently to what your Maker, your Savior, your best Friend, has to say to you – "Harden not your heart as in the provocation" (Psa. 95:8), but "incline your ear, and come unto Me: hear, and your soul shall live" (Isa. 55:3).

2013/3/27 10:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy