SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Let's bake a cake

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Tithing...show me any scriptures that comes out and states that it was done away with.

Tithing falls under the "types and shadows" of the Old Covenant. All of the types and shadows have been done away with and fulfilled, of which tithing was part of.

Col 2:16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day-- 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Deuteronomy shows that tithing was tied to the temple and its ceremonies in the following passage:

Deuteronomy 12:5 But you shall seek the LORD at the place which the LORD your God will choose from all your tribes, to establish His name there for His dwelling, and there you shall come. 6 There you shall bring your burnt offerings, your sacrifices, [b]your tithes[/b], the contribution of your hand, your votive offerings, your freewill offerings, and the firstborn of your herd and of your flock.

Notice how in this passage tithing is mentioned in the midst of sacrifices. This passage makes it impossible to divorce tithing from the temple and its sacrificial system. The sacrificial system and the temple and the priesthood were all types and shadows of the things that were to come, but now have been done away with. The burden of proof here does not rest on people to prove how tithing is not for today, rather the burden of proof is for people to prove in light of such passages how tithing can possibly be for today.

Quote:

Those who do not give like God spells out in Malachi 3:8-10

And the previous 2 chapters of Malachi also spell out a lot concerning other sacrifices besides tithing, and levitical ceremonies. For example, Malachi 1:6-14 talks about how Israel was offering sacrifices that were not up to snuff. People treated their sacrifices with disdain, and God was insulted over it because it shows how lightly they treated the majesty of God. They would surely not offer such a sacrifice to their governor... how much more should they not offer such a sacrifice to God?

Malachi 2:1-9 is a rebuke to the Levitical priests for not being just instructors as they ought to be. Their lack of reverence God says has corrupted the covenant of Levi.

Malachi 2:10-16 likewise makes mention of the activity made at the altar, because Judah has been faithless and is guilty of adultery.

So, Malachi makes mention of other sacrifices, along with tithing given some special attention. But, this only shows once again how the tithing system was tied to the temple service, and sacrificial system, just as we see in Deuteronomy 12.

Tithing is no longer required.

2005/3/11 19:18Profile

Re:

Now that's showing the love of Jesus!!!
PJ

2005/3/11 20:28
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Wow...can we say bite mark from a Brother?

Quote:

Man, stop jumping on someone cause they think and believe different. This was suppose to be a light post at first.

Pardon? Who do you accuse of jumping on someone? I can't say I've seen it yet in this thread. It is hardly a "light post at first" if you accuse your brethren of stealing from God when in fact they are not.

Your own words from your first post:

Quote:

Stealing is a pretty strong thing to accuse someone.

Indeed, it is. Brother, we ought not be this way with eachother.

2005/3/11 21:12Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Wow! first time I have seen this thread "maybe God was hiding it from me there goes my free will again" Lol. I can't really contribute to this at all I have never heard of anything like this "Stealing from God?" He will forgive us right? wish I could key in here but this is way out of my league I will leave this up to my Father to deal with he knows all so should be a breeze for him.
Father I have done everything on the posters list I am sorry I repent! please forgive me! ah! Now that I am forgiven I feel much better, hey that wasn't so hard, Now were was I?

2005/3/11 21:44Profile

Re: God reveals .....there is a thief among us

prayer4am,

Don't mean to be mean here but sounds like you need to turn off Joyce Meyer, Freddie K.C. Price, Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Robert Tilton, and all those false teachers that have obviously manipulated you into preaching their very same heretical teachings, and open your bible and read it. You will not find any scriptures blatently teaching that tithing has been done away with but there is a conspicuous silence on the subject in the New Testament. But Paul does say that

"if anyone gives they should give out of the goodness and kindness of their hearts cheerfully and not under compulsion."

I'm sort of paraphrasing but it's really close. Anyway, compulsion is what the Law provides. The Law Compells us to tithe but the Gospel calls us to give cheerfully without being forced or compelled to give. The other thing you need to remember is that Abraham tithed only "once" to Melchizidek, not continually.

This is not to say that we should not "give" because we should and plentifully but we should be giving to the poor and needy, not to building programs and TV ministries that are huge money eating machines.

One other thing you need to remember is this,

"But as surely as God is faithful, our message to you is not “Yes” and “No.” For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by me and Silas and Timothy, was not “Yes” and “No,” but in him it has always been “Yes.” For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God." (2 Corinthians 1:18-20)

And...

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade–kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time." (1 Peter 1:3-5)

I do believe that it's clear to all believers that our "blessings" are kept for us by God himself and that they are most assuredly ours and have not been denied ANY believer!

Picky400

2005/3/12 4:44
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Blown by the wind

Does anyone have an idea where Israel ends and the Jews of the heart start? Some of the cleverer ones among us would say the cross, which is spot on, but what I mean in terms of the moral code placed upon them in regards to their relationships with each other.

The ceremonial law has been abolished in the cross with Jesus fulfilling every requirement and in fact becoming the temple. What of the moral law? The royal law of loving GOd and loving man is the NT answer, but what of the 613 odd laws that RobertW refers to at times, how many of them are still binding?

2005/3/12 5:05Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Bashed with a rolling pin

Quote:

prayer4am wrote:
Can we bake a cake together? It's just as much fun as making a mud pie!

As long as you don't steal it. 8-)

2005/3/12 5:08Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Does anyone have an idea where Israel ends and the Jews of the heart start?

deserves a separate thread I think.

2005/3/12 5:44Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re: Let's bake a cake

I scanned through this post really quick, I'm just curious about how the thread turned that starts with

Quote:

prayer4am wrote:
Can we bake a cake together? It's just as much fun as making a mud pie!

Ended up in a heated debate about tithes and offerings? Wether or not you thinkit is for today, giving in some form, in my humble opinion is. Jesus when confronting the pratices of the Pharisees who gaves and fasted and prayed to be seen, says "When you give. . .pray. . .and fast. ." so, again, just my opinion, the word when might not be just a nice suggestion.
I think it all boils down to the motive. Are you giving to get blessed? Then you're wrong. Are you "sowing to reap" then your wrong. If you give because you love God and long to see the Kingdom grow for his glory, then your right in your givin (praying and fasting too.) God's not a business man, baseball coach or CEO--He's the sovergien God of the universe! Give! Support the church but trust in God! Give to the poor and the needy and always remeber the words of the old hymn:
"The strong the tempted and the weak are one in Jesus. ."

2005/3/12 10:14Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
I scanned through this post really quick, I'm just curious about how the thread turned that starts with Quote:Can we bake a cake together? It's just as much fun as making a mud pie!".........Ended up in a heated debate about tithes and offerings?

Confusing, I know. I thought it was a new thread, but found quickly that it was the same thread on tithing I was reading yesterday, it's just been renamed and heavily edited. I think Crsschk spoke about this recently-----if we edit, we need to show others we have edited.....leaving the original discussion in so others are not confused about the seemingly strange responses which don't seem to "fit".........

2005/3/12 11:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy