SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Let's bake a cake

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Let's bake a cake

Can we bake a cake together? It's just as much fun as making a mud pie!

2005/3/10 17:41
Bomar

Re: God reveals .....there is a thief among us

Um, you cut the verse a little short...it actually says "tithes and offerings". Which, I have heard will tally up to a total of about 50%. Please take a look at the Biblical place for the tithe (warning, it's long):

http://www.tentmaker.org/books/TheTitheisIllegal.html

2005/3/10 18:02Profile
Bomar

Re:

Also, here is a little diddy that Mark Spence, the Dean of Ray Comfort's "School of Biblical Evangelism" wrote:

Quote:
Two kinds of giving are taught consistently throughout Scripture: giving to the government (always compulsory), and giving to God (always voluntary).
The issue has been greatly confused, however, by some who misunderstand the nature of the Old Testament tithes. Tithes were not primarily gifts to God, but taxes for funding the national budget in Israel.

Because Israel was a theocracy, the Levitical priests acted as the civil government. So the Levite's tithe (Leviticus 27:30-33) was a precursor to today's income tax, as was a second annual tithe required by God to fund a national festival (Deuteronomy 14:22-29). Smaller taxes were also imposed on the people by the law (Leviticus 19:9-10; Exodus 23:10-11). So the total giving required of the Israelites was not 10 percent, but well over 20 percent. All that money was used to operate the nation.

All giving apart from that required to run the government was purely voluntary (cf. Exodus 25:2; 1 Chronicles 29:9). Each person gave whatever was in his heart to give; no percentage or amount was specified.

New Testament believers are not commanded to tithe. Matthew 22:15-22 and Romans 13:1-7 tell us about the only required giving in the church age, which is the paying of taxes to the government. Interestingly enough, we in America presently pay between 20 and 30 percent of our income to the government--a figure very similar to the requirement under the theocracy of Israel.

The guideline for our giving to God and His work is found in 2 Corinthians 9:6-7: "Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver."

With that said, It is my personal conviction, if you do feel tithing is for today and you wish to tithe then I ask that you do not send your tithes to Living Waters or WOTM. I believe you should support your local church body. If you desire to give anything beyond that obviously we would put it towards the production of more books, tracts, etc...
-mark

2005/3/10 18:04Profile

Re: Nice Post --- but i disagree

Nice post but I disagree

2005/3/10 20:19
Bomar

Re:

Quote:
Tithing...show me any scriptures that comes out and states that it was done away with

Check out the link I posted...it's probably about 20-30 pages printed out. There are many scriptures there.

BTW...I did not say not to give (again, read the article). I just said don't stick a number...such as 10% on it. If you are really a Christian, then God owns it all. Ask Him, and He will probably lead you to give quite a bit more than 10%.

2005/3/11 2:04Profile

Re: Malachi 3:8-10

Thank you for pointing out the link to me. I took the time this morning to go through it.

But I think I like Malachi 3:8-10 more

2005/3/11 4:57
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Bomar
I like the Mark Spence quote, can you tell us exactly where you sourced it? Thanks.

2005/3/11 5:07Profile
StevenL

Re: God reveals .....there is a thief among us

Well, I suppose those among us who don't have blue tassels on the borders of our garments today are lawbreakers and are accursed children. That was a perpetual law you know. I haven't found in the New Testament that it ceased.

There are literally hundreds of commandments in the Torah for which I cannot find in the New Testament writings a specific cessation clause. But I can know that these are not requirements for New Covenant Priests because I understand the NATURE OF THE NEW COVENANT.

I'd be very careful cursing people with the word "thief" or "lawbreaker" based on Levitical commandments if I were you. Of course, you can do as you wish though. But...a word to the wise...

The great Accuser and Enemy is the one who likes to continually try to bring people who have DIED to the law back into its condemnation. One of his favorite schemes...one in which he has been greatly successful among the churches.

2005/3/11 9:43Profile
Bomar

Re:

Quote:
Bomar I like the Mark Spence quote, can you tell us exactly where you sourced it? Thanks.

Yes...a similiar topic came up on the School of Biblical Evangelism forum. Someone thought their church was wasting the funds on pot lucks or laser lights or something...so the person wanted to tithe to living waters instead. The link is www.biblicalevangelism.com, but you must be a student in it to get in on the forum.

2005/3/11 17:52Profile
Bomar

Re:

Quote:
So since no one can show me that Malachi 3:8-10 has been done away with by Scriptures and God has protected the scriptures and made sure that I have them after everything (and I know the history of the deliverance of the Bible) ... then I will follow these scriptures and teach others the joy of it until someone can Plainly show me that God has a different idea that he plainly wrote out for me to live by.

That's cool...one is convinced he can eat meat, the other that he can't.

But a warning, if you really "adhere to Malachi", then you MUST give far more than 10%....the scripture says tithes AND offerings...which, as stated, comes out to be 20-33%, depending on how you figure it.

Prayer4am, the tithes and offerings were to run the government of the OT. Anythign above that WAS voluntary, and however much someone wanted, according to how much the loved the Lord. Please don't misunderstand me, or that article. What I am saying is that in the New Covenant, there is a totally new relationship where you give "as you purpose in your heart", according to your love for Him and desire to spread the Word.

BTW...what did Paul mean when he said

Quote:
And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law

??? I personally am in trouble, because I do have cotton/polyester blends of clothing ;-)

2005/3/11 17:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy