Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bed Time

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
inotof

Morehead, KY

Bed Time

I'm just curious. . .but does any one know anything about the average time to go to sleep during the times of Jesus? I know if souds silly and there might not be anything anywhere, just wondering. Mark says that Jesus got up a great while before dawn to pray and i was just curious. What's avarage of hours per sleep SI members run on? I get 5-6 a night (with many interupptions, "I had a bad dreams", sippy cup refills, tiny dog bladders, neghibor's cows/pigs/chickens/etc.) Just for fun, anyone else? How many hours to you consider a "great deal before dawn?" Im thinking like 4 in the moring. Again this is just for fun.

2005/3/10 13:04Profile
heartaftergo

Re: Bed Time

i have no idea, but i would love to be able to sleep only 4 hours a night and not be grouchy in the morning.

2005/3/10 13:12Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I get 6-8 i try not to sleep more than 8, unless the nights before i only get 4 or so..I'm a college guy though... my schedule changes all the time.

2005/3/10 14:33Profile

Re:

We have a 2 week old... and a 21 month old who has had a cold... we are getting [b]NO[/b] sleep!

Krispy

2005/3/10 14:39

Sleep time

To let you know....I get up at 4 A.M. every morning to pray for Revival and the salvation of lost souls. Sometimes earlier but never later. I work 9 to 5 basically and I retire at 9 P.M. usually and rarely later. So I get between 7 to 6 1/2 hours of sleep each night. My job requires that I receive 7 hours sleep so I do my best make sure I do so other's don't lose hundreds to thousands of dollars due to lack of obeying scriptures and doing my best at work.

It is a great thing to get up at 4 A.M. everyday and meet up with God!!! He is amazing and I've never had a walk as I do now meeting him at 4 A.M. And I make sure that everything is wrapped around making sure I am in bed ontime....I have an appointment at 4 A.M. with God. NOTHING is more important than keeping my daily appointment.

Yes, I get made fun of....but I would not trade meeting up with God and all the glorious things he has done with me during our time together and throughout the day and night...won't trade it for anything.

PJ

2005/3/10 17:32
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

To answer the first question, it depends on what you mean by "average." Most of the world without electricity and a great deal of money for lamp oil had a tendency to follow the get up at dawn (or slightly after) and go to sleep shortly after dusk routine. I'm guessing that the Jewish culture wasn't a whole lot different, but extended the waking night hours a bit more in cities. (Rough guess, but 6:00 or 7:00ish to 21:00 or so?) Its not an uncommon practice in similar parts of the world today (and not horribly out of the ordinary with the rest of us, at that)

2005/3/10 17:53Profile
Angyl

Re:

PTywama3 has the right of it. There was no lights back then, on the street, in the houses, etc. When the sun went down, so did most people...even eating by candlelight or lamp is inconvenient so their lives were totally different. I'd wager they slept from just after sunset to just before dawn... (and at dawn with the rising of the sun, business would commence, so you have to have breakfast, get dressed, kiss the wife and kids good-bye, etc. and get to the office by sunrise). This is why scripture would make a point of telling us that Jesus got up WELL before Dawn...most people got up at dawn or a little earlier than that.

2005/3/10 18:48Profile
AgesofWar

Chicago IL USA

The Lord has delivered me from my Lazy sleeping habits and he is still working on me not to sleep after I eat.

I get on average about 6Hrs not including weekends when I tend to take a day of rest.

As for the Bible times, I would venture to say that they had about the same patterns we do in today's society...

Proverbs tells us of those who overslept and got Jumped by poverty.

Paul worked a job and preached it all the time (tent maker) so he didn't probably get much sleep.

The bible tells us not to love sleep and to work hard, so If you’re getting allot of sleep best to get to work.

And I need to take that advice to heart myself...

Cyas

2005/3/10 18:50Profile
Compton

Re: sleepy time

Inotof,

This is an interesting subject. As far as sleep in bible times, I think PTywama3 sounds reasonable.

For what's it's worth I keep a "nap as needed" lifestyle, only sleeping when I need it. Being self-employed I find I am more happy and productive to sleep around changing work and family schedules. I might catch anywhere from 3-7 hours at any point in a 24 hour day. Often I'll sleep briefly two times a day. At least once a month it seems I go for 24-30 hours without sleep.

I used to try to keep regulated hours but it seemed unnecessay to me to rest when I still had some steam left. So I keep busy while I have strength untill I need recharging. Basically I go untill I stop. On Sunday I try to enter into "powersave" mode after church.

My wife thinks I'm a freak of nature but I feel fine.:-)

Obviously if I had traditional employment and a commute I would need to keep sleep during scheduled hours. Also, any consideration of sleep would be incomplete without also considering a good diet and minimum exercise routine!

Curiously I have always liked this verse regarding sleep:

Quote:
It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.

MC

2005/3/10 23:20Profile
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Sleep time

Quote:
It is a great thing to get up at 4 A.M. everyday and meet up with God!!! He is amazing and I've never had a walk as I do now meeting him at 4 A.M. And I make sure that everything is wrapped around making sure I am in bed ontime....I have an appointment at 4 A.M. with God. NOTHING is more important than keeping my daily appointment.

But don't you find it hard to find the energy to do things like street witnessing? If you don't stay up past 9pm you miss sharing the good news with the majority of people who live in a 'night-driven' society.

2005/3/10 23:36Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy