SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : I did not send them... yet they prophesied...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

I did not send them... yet they prophesied...

I was recently going through the so-called "Elijah List", a mailing list maintained by Steve Shultz, whereby he e-mail's the latest prophetic words out given by various individuals he believes to be prophets. It was amazing to see the following as a sort of disclaimer to a prophet he seems to be putting some stock in regarding her predictions:

Steve Shultz writes:

Quote:

I've never yet met a 100% accurate prophet. Never.

What a sad time we live in. The prophets prophesy by Baal still. God did not send them, yet they ran and prophesied.

Be in prayer saints... this e-mail list reaches thousands upon thousands of individuals across America and the world.

2005/3/10 10:50Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: I did not send them... yet they prophesied...

Quote:

It was amazing to see the following as a sort of disclaimer to a prophet he seems to be putting some stock in regarding her predictions:

Steve Shultz writes:
Quote:

I've never yet met a 100% accurate prophet. Never.

What a sad time we live in.

Why would you say that? If any modern prophet said that they were a hundred percent correct, then I would be wary. I think this person is just being sensible in an area of Christian experience which can so easily lead to manipulation.

2005/3/10 10:57Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

Quote:
Why would you say that?

According to the way I understand scripture, the biblical mandate for prophets has not changed. If he is of God he will be 100% accurate in his prophecies. If this man's never seen a prophet who's that accurate then he's never seen a prophet.

2005/3/10 13:45Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Last time I checked (I could be wrong on this), if a prophet's word proved false, they were to be taken without the city and stoned, because by that you would know they were a false prophet...
God doesn't make mistakes, why should we expect His messengers to?

So, uh, I'd say that this issue isn't a new one, and I'd agree that that statement is troubling.

Maybe they need to be trained, maybe they need to be wary, and maybe they need to be "stoned."

2005/3/10 13:46Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Why would you say that?

Because the Scriptures demand any so-called prophet be 100% correct. If he's not, then he's not truly speaking the words of God, and is not truly flowing in the prophetic. Deuteronomy expounds:

Deut 18:22 When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken.

2005/3/10 14:18Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

According to the way I understand scripture, the biblical mandate for prophets has not changed. If he is of God he will be 100% accurate in his prophecies. If this man's never seen a prophet who's that accurate then he's never seen a prophet.

I think that this another one of those things where what I consider a reality is not necessarily yours, okay thats fine, at least I know where the line is.

2005/3/10 15:26Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: I did not send them... yet they prophesied...

Reading through this thread I was reminded of something I read from Art Katz;

The man who calls himself prophet and talks statistically (for example, seventy or eighty percent predictive accuracy) is not in keeping with the timbre, the character and the knit of a truly prophetic man. To determine whether a prophet is true or false should not immediately depend on whether their predictions are accurate. The real issue is [i]not[/i] the accuracy of prediction in assessing the validity of prophets. Even to think statistically is to put us on a false basis in determining true and false among prophets. False prophets can bring a biblically correct message, but it is the kind of message that is a routine commonplace, that is to say, which virtually anyone can bring. There is nothing in it that can be faulted in terms of doctrine, but it is not [i]oracular[/i]. It is not a message that bears prophetic weight, intensity, seriousness or requirement. Oracular speaking can be distinguished by the way it brings with it a perception of reality and of the purposes of God that were not there before that word came. It opens up things as God Himself sees them, which is altogether [i]not[/i] as we see them!

If we allow the word ‘prophet’ to be given to anyone who is giving predictive prophecy or even the gift of knowledge or what may be more likely, clairvoyance, and call [i]that[/i] oracular prophecy, then we are well on the way to deception! These men speak messages of a predictable kind, but they are usually only a preliminary that one has to wait through in order to get to the ‘action’ for which we have really come, namely, for their predictive and personal prophecies that so excite and titillate us as an audience. The greater issue is not whether these prophets are accurate [i]most[/i] of the time so much as whether they are prophets [i]at all[/i]! To confirm the church in its present lightness by their own example is analogous to the false prophets of Old Testament time who confirmed Israel in its sin. All in all, one must ask, "What is their revelation? How oracular is it? What is it more or other than the general preaching of others who make no profession of being prophetic? Is their distinctive not much more than the sensationalism or excitement of their gifts or the anticipation derived from the elevated status generated largely by their mutual affirmation of each other?"

-from [i]The Spirit of Prophecy: An Examination of the Prophetic Call[/i] by Art Katz

2005/3/10 15:27Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
was recently going through the so-called "Elijah List", a mailing list maintained by Steve Shultz, whereby he e-mail's the latest prophetic words out given by various individuals he believes to be prophets.

This email list and website is not even worth the time to talk about it! It is so obviously false its not even worth trying to rationalize and discuss. Pray for those who are involved with this type of far fetched deception would be the best course of action. The time is late and many are being decieved by false gospels and false spirits, let us be found in the truth that is in Jesus brethren.

2005/3/11 19:24Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Pray for those who are involved with this type of far fetched deception would be the best course of action.

Being that there are a lot of Pentecostal/Charismatic types that frequent this site, there are probably a good percentage that buy into this kinda stuff (I've personally known many who do).

2005/3/11 19:38Profile
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

I'm pentacostal. I still check prophecy against the best of my spiritual discernment, and the bible. It is something to be heeded, but not something to be taken without much (and I do mean much) personal prayerful consideration and research.

That and it really helps if the person has some kind of standing authority already established in my life.

2005/3/11 20:10Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy