SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Layman's Bible Reading Plan (One Chapter Per Day)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

The Layman's Bible Reading Plan (One Chapter Per Day)

As a Christian, do you read the Bible daily, without fail? Ray Comfort says that in asking that question at many churches he found that most Christians don’t read their Bibles daily without fail. The issue of not reading God’s Word daily has been something I have been convicted of because admittedly I have failed at times.

Over the years I have been acquainted with several different one-year Bible reading plans. I have tried a few of them but I’ve never followed through with any of them. If you’re like me, you started okay the first couple of days but then you got discouraged because it was very hard to keep up, considering all the other responsibilities you have to attend to, such as your daily job, family time, etc.

As Christians we know that we are called to prioritize our relationship with God above all else, making sure we spend time with the Lord daily in prayer and Bible study/reading. But let’s face it, isn’t it true that most believers simply do not have the same amount of time as full-time ministers to get into the Word. I mean if you’re a full-time pastor I can certainly understand you being expected to set aside a good chunk of time each day to delve deep into God’s Word, studying perhaps four to five chapters per day. But us lay Christians are not as blessed to have such amount of time to study the Word.

A big concern I have with one year Bible reading plans is that for many of us they force us to rush through the Holy Scriptures, hardly remembering what we read. Psalm 1:1 tells us we are blessed if we meditate on God’s Word day and night. But it is hard for us to really meditate on it when we have to rush through it like that.

A few months ago I calculated and found that if I read one chapter of the Bible per day it would take me about 3 years and 3 months to read through the entire Bible. I found that interesting in connection with the thought that the 12 apostles walked with and learned from Christ for about three years before being thrust into ministry on their own.

So I felt led to start reading one chapter per day, starting first thing in the morning, and trying to meditate on that chapter as much as possible throughout the day. I cannot tell you what a blessing it has been. With this method it is hard for any of us to have any excuse for not reading the Bible daily without fail. So my challenge to you would be to begin to read God’s Word daily if you have not been doing so.

To help me meditate on each chapter I usually use a combination of reading the chapter, listening to the chapter in audio, and reading a commentary on the chapter. This is my usual way of going about it to give you an idea:

The first thing I do is read the chapter as slowly and prayerfully as possible, asking the Lord to give me insight into His Word. As I do this I often find myself praying about certain verses that stick out to me.

Then, I usually try to read Matthew Henry’s Commentary on that chapter, though I don’t always do that due to time constraints. You can read Matthew Henry’s Commentary online freely through different websites that make it available.

And thirdly, I usually listen to the chapter in audio many times. I am able to do this while at work during a certain part of my work day when I am able to listen to my mp3 player. Listening to the chapter over and over helps me to remember what is in the chapter.

Well, that’s my version of the layman’s Bible reading plan. May the Lord encourage you and bless you as you get into His Word daily.

2013/3/13 16:11Profile

Re: The Layman's Bible Reading Plan (One Chapter Per Day)

My brother a good plan. I line it. God bless you richly as you get into his word.

Bear

2013/3/13 17:31
PQ

Europe

Re: The Layman's Bible Reading Plan (One Chapter Per Day)

This is great. And possible for anyone.

Yet, I am sure you have been a believer for some years now. However, there are some people who cannot afford to take 3 years and 3 months to read the whole Bible.

There are those who need a diligent soaking in the Word of GOD. Reading a minimum of 6 chapters a day, and memorizing one verse a day, and meditating on that verse during the day.

I think reading one chapter of the Old Testament in the morning, and one chapter of the New Testament in the evening would also be of great benefit.

Thank you for sharing.

pq*

2013/3/13 19:20Profile

Re:

I have been reading through Colossians one or more times a day in addition to my other New Testament reading/ hearing. Great blessing!

Bearmaster.

2013/3/14 0:36
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Amen brothers, if you have the time to study more chapters that's great. As long as we are getting into His Word every single day and not making excuses for not doing so.

2013/3/14 9:23Profile

Re:Oracio

Amen, my brother. As Nike says, just do it. I find the threads encouraging that exhort one to get into the word.

Bear.

2013/3/14 10:08

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy