SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Harlem Shake ... lewd suggestive dancing ... becoming popular amongst "Christians"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re: skeptic guy

Skepticguy, brother, this post is not about you but it is about what offends the Lord and how these despicable things also offend those who follow Him. So, please stop rolling your eyes in condescension of others. If someone wants to post something about a rock concert 30 years ago, so what? If you don't like it, change the channel and move along.

I try to picture what forum conversations would sound like if I was with a group of guys fellowshipping together. When I read what you say and put it in that light, it really troubles me. When we speak to others, whether it is online or in person, we should conduct ourselves as Christ would. This is the point of the other brother above who quoted you. Instead of receiving his gentle rebuke, you chose to react again sarcastically and missed a wonderful opportunity to humble yourself.

This "devilish" dance is offensive to many people and to them it has no place in the "house of God". Of course God doesn't dwell in houses made by men, but this facility is reserved for the worship of the Lord Jesus. To then use that facility to depict borderline blasphemy is inconceivable!!! How can those who claim to have the Spirit not be deeply disturbed by this? Those who put this dance on, are either so backslidden that the Spirit has departed from them or they were never born again in the first place. It doesn't really matter in light of this thread because what really matters is that the person who posted this was shocked and dismayed of how bad things are getting. We should be deeply troubled and humbled and broken by this kind of thing and be crying out to the Lord for mercy.

We need revival folks...BIG TIME!!!

2013/3/14 4:57
SkepticGuy

Re:

Quote:
This is the point of the other brother above who quoted you. Instead of receiving his gentle rebuke, you chose to react again sarcastically and missed a wonderful opportunity to humble yourself.

i DID accept what mark said. thats what "points are taken under consideration" means. are u looking for sumthing more from me?

i was going to respond 2 the wilkerson thing, but there is no point.

2013/3/14 8:16Profile

Re:

Nobody seems to have directly responded to my post where I mentioned my church youth group. I have since seen the version that the youth group made they and it is hardly 'lewd'. They are basically just dressed in silly clothes (certainly not suggestive clothes) and waving their arms about.

To suggest that they are hell bound (or backslidden) because of that is, frankly, ridiculous. Maybe their version was not like the original ones (which I still have no desire to watch).

Earlier in this thread it was said that nobody is condemning people in these videos to hell. -

Well, maybe not explicitly, but its heavily implied with terms like "Christians" (the inverted commas imply that they are not actually Christians) and saying that they are without the Spirit of Christ or even belong to a satanic spirit (those described like that in scripture are not exactly heaven bound).

I'd also like to comment on the subject of judgmentalism, as it's been talked about a bit:

Calling out sin as sin, correcting and rebuking, and even admonishing with biblical warnings is NOT judgmentalism, I quite agree.

What IS judgmentalism is declaring that people are not Christians, for reasons which aren't even scriptural.

Yes, there are strong warnings for Christians who participate in various sins in passages such as Galatians 6:19-21, Ephesians 5:5-6 and 1 Cor 6:9-10. However, in those lists I do not see those who participate in silly dances among the people who won't inherit the kingdom.

I find the whole book of 1 Corinthians quite interesting on this whole point - there was all sorts of dodgy, sinful behaviour going on in that church (that would make the harlem shake look like a picnic in comparison). Indeed, Paul warns and rebukes them, but he never calls them out as being false converts or "Christians". Indeed, at the start he says

"To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be his holy people, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours" (1v2)

He doesn't add "and all those false converts in the church as well".

(The nearest he comes to saying such a thing is 15:34, where it seems that unbelief concerning the resurrection is the issue.)

To sum up, it is not the opposition to the Harlem shake craze that bothers me here (indeed, I would agree that it is rather foolish). It is the eternal judgement on the souls of those who participate in that I find to be out of order.

I'd also like to discuss what exactly we mean when we talk about 'worldliness', but I think that's enough from me for the moment.

2013/3/14 15:54

Butters

Quote:
Nobody seems to have directly responded to my post where I mentioned my church youth group. I have since seen the version that the youth group made they and it is hardly 'lewd'. They are basically just dressed in silly clothes (certainly not suggestive clothes) and waving their arms about.

brother or sister, do you REALLY want a response?....or is it just setting up a straw man argument for a little bit of cyber tussling?

i'm not trying to mess with you or be contentious, but do you really want A response...or MY response to what you testified?

i see that ole mess, and given the totality of the depravity of the WORLD, it doesnt surprise, shock me at all......given the day and age of this evil generation, what surprises me is, they're not just outright copulating in these video's. ...please! dont start lecturing anybody about "judgementalism"....i seen video's from Africa with child "solider's, taking razors, making a long nick to blow ukrainian speed in their arms, so they wipe away whatever was sweet in them, to take that AK-47, and just blow people away like it was a video game....

tommorrow night?...you know...the "thank God, its Friday" night, how much money is going to slid across a wooden bar, so folks can pour about a billion dollars worth of alcohol down their gullets, and then make this foolish lil dance, seem like Mr. Rogers Neighborhood?

tommorrow night, how many women, going get to get a beating, from liquored up boy friends or spouses? How many young kids gonna DIE from car crashes, coz they're out driving whle intoxicated?

TONIGHT?....how many nuclear weapons lay silently beneath the waves in subs, or the ground in silo's, or mobile launchers, or the bays of bombers...oh, probably 20,000.....from Aug 1945 until this very second, why do you think it is, that we, humankind has not been subjected to the horrors of full scale global thermonuclear war?

do you honestly think that it has ANYTHING to do with the restraint and level headedness of mankind?

Its the Divine Protection and Love of a Merciful God, Who desires that none may perish, all day long He has held out His Hand to stubborn and stiff necked people......but one day, even the LORD will just say:

'enough'.

and we will all be salted with fire.

so i dont understand at all why Greg and other brethern are been given the gears for calling sin, sin.

you know its like this, this world is just going mad, literally, and i dont think it unreasonable at all, that the dear children of God, Blood Bought saints, should yearn and quest for just one spot on this earth, their local Church, to the ONE PLACE, where Things are sweet, lovely, pure, ....holy...to breathe the Sweet Fragrance of Christ, without having to smell the stench of the world.

why is that so unreasonable for someone to yearn for that?...yearn for holiness?yearn for purity? yearn for true beauty?...yearn for righteousness?

why is that unreasonable?

2013/3/14 19:47

Re: Butters

Hezwelling, I am somewhat perplexed by your response and I’m not sure you’ve actually engaged with anything I said.

Quote:

brother or sister, do you REALLY want a response?....or is it just setting up a straw man argument for a little bit of cyber tussling?

Yes, I do want genuine response and I am not the least bit interested in stirring up arguments for the sake of it. I can say, hand on heart, that I always endeavour to be sincere whenever I post on here (which is not very often, though I do visit a lot). I visit here because of the passion and radical commitment people have here for Christ, and I am interested to hear what they have to say. Now and again though, I come across a topic that utterly baffles me (this one is an example) and I’m trying to get to the bottom of the reasoning and rationale that goes on. I’m not sure what the straw man is you are referring to.

Quote:

please! dont start lecturing anybody about "judgementalism"....

Did you actually read what I put about judgmentalism? Where am I in error? I am not sure what point you were making by the long list of all the sin in the world. I don’t really disagree, but I can’t see how it’s relevant.

Quote:

so i dont understand at all why Greg and other brethern are been given the gears for calling sin, sin.

I am nowhere criticising that. In fact I stated plainly that calling sin out as sin is not judgementalism. What I am saying is what my church youth group did (I can’t vouch for any others) was NOT sin.

Quote:

why is that so unreasonable for someone to yearn for that?...yearn for holiness?yearn for purity? yearn for true beauty?...yearn for righteousness?

I have nowhere said (or even hinted as far as I’m aware) that any of that is unreasonable. It is laudable and is in fact why I visit places like this.

2013/3/15 6:42

Re: Harlem Shake ... lewd suggestive dancing ... becoming popular amongst "Chris

Quote:
What I am saying is what my church youth group did (I can’t vouch for any others) was NOT sin. butters

I believe the distinction you may be making here brother is a reasonable one to make. Paul encouraged Timothy to flee from youthful lusts and at the same time encouraged him with regard to a potential attitude which could arise simply because he was young, yet a helper of an Apostle. Sometimes youth does do foolish things and may even do it with a sense of intellectualism with no intention or personal moral involvement. It would be a mistake to condemn or else consign to all youthful folly moral intention which amounts to an intention to harm others, or else a circumstance in which the youth ought to have completely comprehended the inappropriateness of their actions.

The youth ought to be taught to flee from youthful lusts. But if the elders themselves do not flee from acquired knowledge through disobedience and an unwillingness to be holy, it is unlikely that many of the youth will be lead to a holy ambition. In that instance what is required is a Timothy!

2013/3/15 7:52

brother "Butters" pt2

Brother Butters, its neil...thats my name.

if it seemed as there was rancor, or any ill will towards you, that is NOT my heart at all. i went back and re-reread your posts, just so i wouldnt be talking out of turn, or in any kind of unloving harsh spirit.

i write like i speak, and sometimes my letters seem more forceful than i really mean.

NEVER would i personally EVER term somebody a "false Christian"....OR "condemn" them to hell, nor am i some legalistic pharaisiacal tightly wound 'religionist".

so there it is. God bless you all. neil

2013/3/15 12:45
SkepticGuy

Re: brother "Butters" pt2

i would have thought this would have died out by now. the shelf life of crazes like the harlem shuffle are extremely short. give it time and it will fade and there will be sumthing else to be upset about. but as solomon said "there is nuthin new under the sun".

2013/3/15 13:41Profile

Re: brother "Butters" pt2

Neil

I greatly appreciate your response, thank you.

I too apologize if anything I have written comes over in a combative way - it is certainly not my intention. I was trying to a)get to the bottom of some of the views expressed and b) challenge some perceived attitudes (which were more implicit than explicit).

It would appear that this thread had wound down for the time being, and I expect it would be unproductive to keep the topic going.

2013/3/16 14:20

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy