Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Fasting

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
addie

Fasting

Guidance I seek here if I may please, posted here to find some clarity of scriptures and views of other for I know this site is one I respect comes to the teaching of the scriptures ... A missionary in Philippines teaching about fasting is not required and Jesus forbid them to fast in new covenant ... is this right? his argument is that in Mark 2:19 that the Bridegroom is with the disciple and we are a disciple as we believe and born again in spirit along using with this teaching is book of John 17: 20,23 ... as well using some part of Paul Washer, our late Leonard Ravenhill's teaching ... I feel this missionary is leading false interpretations to many people who listen to him ... please share some views to enlighten this matter of teaching, thank you.

Blessing to all in Christ Jesus.
Addie

2013/3/9 19:25Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: Fasting

"A missionary in Philippines teaching about fasting is not required and Jesus forbid them to fast in new covenant ... is this right?"

No it's not right.

From the New Covenant apostle Paul: "...But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God...In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings..." (2 Cor. 6.5).

"...In fastings often" (2 Cor. 11.27).

2013/3/9 23:17Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Addie: The missionary has failed to read the next verse on Mark.
19 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? as long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast.
20 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.

He has misinterpreted the scripture. The context is that the religious Jews were pointing out that they never saw Jesus disciples fasting. Jesus points your that while He is physically present with them, they have no need to fast. But after He leaves they will fast. Fasting is an important and valuable discipline. Through fasting we break the powerful hold that our flesh has upon us. Through fasting we beginner more sensitive and obedient to Good when He speaks to us.

John 17 has nothing to say about this issue at all.

I would encourage you to read Isaiah 58 in regards to the true purpose of a fast.

I do not know this missionary. perhaps he had just misinterpreted scripture or received some wrong teaching himself.

2013/3/10 9:08Profile
addie

Re:

Thank you ADisciple ...

2013/3/10 9:15Profile
proudpapa

If I where the adveseray one scripture that I would want to subtly remove would be:
Matthew 17:21
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

and to remove fasting from Mark 9:29
And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

2013/3/10 21:24Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy