SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Error of Daddy God - By Doug Small

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Coolwater

Re:

My Interpretation to the quote.

///While I'm not in the habit of addressing God as 'papa' or 'daddy', I don't think they are inherently irreverent terms. I address my earthly father as "daddy", and it is certainly not void of respect or irreverence.///

Indeed -- and Jabez prayed that God would enlarge his territory, he prayed that God 's hand would be with him and that he would keep him from evil. God answered and granted him his request. God Abba Father.

The name of God is usually rendered in the KJV as Lord: In Exodus 6:3 God speaking to Moses says.. And I appeared unto A bra-ham, unto I saac, and unto Ja-cob, by the name of God Al mighty, but by my name JE-HO-VAH was I not known to them. In Ps 83:18 God speaking in a song, That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JE-HO-VAH, art the most high over all the earth. Prophet Isaiah in 12:2 says Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust , and not be afraid: for the Lord JE-HO-VAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation. Moses again speaking in Genesis 22:14 says And A bra-ham called the name of that place Je-ho-vah-jI reh: as it is said to this day, In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

Equivalent to the likes, as in Abba Father, Lord, God and Daddy God. I don't see how there could be an error in this article.

2013/3/9 17:18Profile
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

Re:

Nice Article!

2013/3/10 19:07Profile
cobbhuna

Re: daddy-God

2013/3/10 22:02Profile
docseth1

Valdosta, Ga

Re: The Error of Daddy God - By Doug Small

Once again, we find ourselves in a discussion that comes down to living a spiritually balanced life - A life that doesn't get into tangents or out of kilter. Most false doctrine that arises in the church is a result of such tendencies. I read behind a man once who wrote that during his Bible reading time, he would read OT Scripture to remind him of the holiness and righteous nature of God, but would read just as much NT Scripture that dealt with the grace and kindness of God. This was one of his techniques for staying balanced. I think that this would probablly be a good practice; however, I believe the true remedy is a Spirit filled, Spirit led, and Spirit lived life.

2013/3/11 11:04Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I think the problem stems from the language. What something means in Greek and Hebrew translates a little different in English and doesn't always carry over the same weight. So when we read the English part it doesn't always hit us hard as it would if we knew Greek or Hebrew.

I think of Spanish and how a story told in Spanish is much better than a story told in English because of the linguistics involved in it.

2013/3/11 11:25Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

My loving relationship of son-to-father with God is exactly the same Jesus had with Him. The Bible says that God loves me and cares for me just as much as He loved and cared for Jesus while He was on earth - with absolutely no variance. I am an eternally adopted son through the blood of the New Covenant. I am one of God's treasured, dear sons. God's ransomed inheritance among the saints. I wouldn't dare believe this if it weren't in the Word of God (see John 17:23; Ephesians 1:18). This is the concept Paul so desired to have imparted to the church in Ephesus. The fear I have for Him now is predicated in deep love: I cherish Him so much that I fear to hurt Him, for He is beyond "daddy" to me. There is no word in the English language to verbalize the loving endearment between God and His Saints in spiritual terms.

When we understand our positions of eternal, beloved centrality in Christ, and how much God cares for us (exactly the same as He cared for Jesus!), we will begin to comprehend that the relationship of "Abba-Father" is a wholly spiritual one, with a measure of endearment which is beyond all mortal comprehension.

And what I've shared just scratches the surface.

2013/3/11 20:48Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

That is a very good post, Brother Paul!

2013/3/11 21:14Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Docseth1, Ha! I'm glad I read through to the second page of posts. I was going to jump all over your OP.

Balance, that is the key. I work with a lot of teenagers from disadvantaged homes. They could greatly use the imagery of a loving "Daddy" as many them have less than loving fathers. But you are absolutely right, balance is what we need.

I think this is partly what Paul meant when he said he became all things to all men. At some point in our life we will need to see God as a Daddy who will hold us close when we just need to be loved. At other times He may be a fiery eyed God when we need to be goaded into action. I think what we can rely on is that God will be exactly what He needs to be in order for those who truly call on His name to accomplish His work.

We have to be careful when we say a verse "does not" mean one thing and only another (obviously, some have one specific meaning). By doing that we can miss out on the full multifaceted wisdom of God. He knows our need before we even ask. We were going over the story of the Israelite's and their grumbling about a lack of food. God said he heard their grumbling and would send manna and quail. They didn't even pray to God, they complained to Moses. And yet God heard and answered. If that is not a picture of a Daddy God, I don't know what is. But, but, but this is the same God who would not let Moses into the promised land because he struck the rock instead of speaking to it like he was told. Balance.

2013/3/12 7:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy