SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Bible series begins tonight...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Watched the first episode

Well, lets at least give History Channel credit for airing a biblical program.
It did seem like a "rush job" with some major errors, but perhaps people who want to read "the rest of the story" will look in The Book :-)
Sister Leslie

The Abraham/Isaac episode on the mountain was very moving, in spite of Sarah's fast climb.

The digital flood and parting of the waters really gave a sense of the majesty and awesomeness of God.

Let's at least give it A for effort. And I am a stickler for the Word of God, but if one person decided to look further into the Bible, it is ok with me.

2013/3/4 16:54
SkepticGuy

Re: srry

roma downy and her husband (who is a producer on 'survivor') wrote and produced this movie. roma downy was on a show called 'touched by an angel' a long time ago. while i do not question their intentions, it should be no surprise 2 any1 who saw 'touched by an angel' this the movie would have inaccuracies and be very watered down and tame. 'touched by an angel' was called a 'christian' tv show too, but i do not believe that the name of jesus christ was mentioned even once in any of the episodes, and salvation was presented in typical hollywood fashion: do enuf good in the world to outweigh the bad and u get 2 heaven. we neednt expect anything with any theological depth from these folks.

example: there was a scene that depicted joshua praying before the ark of the covenent right out in the open with people just walking around like it was no big deal. that never would have happened. it was in the tent of tabernacle! such disrespect for the lord would (and often did!) result in the immediate death of everyone in sight. my six year old caught that and commented on it.

all downy had 2 do was open her bible and study the issue for 5 minutes and she would have known better.

2013/3/4 16:59Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

well, lets be careful not to turn bible characters into sum kind of catholic art from the renaissance period. moses and sarah were human beings just like the rest of us. as a married a couple they faced the same challenges married couples face 2day.

No where I said that Sara is perfect and we need to worship her. But when Apostle Peter inspired by Spirit writes about Sara saying she was a holy women who should be example of new covenant wives then there should be something special about her respect for Abraham. I was referring to a movie on Abraham where the conversation between them sounded so argumentive. If Sara was such a women then the Spirit would not have written such a word about her. Let God alone be true and every man who thinks he has a worldly wisdom to speak against God's word be a liar.

Sara definitely made mistakes so did every men of Old Covenant. But that does not make her from being an example to women who want to be a respecting wives.

1 Peter 3-5:-
For in this way in former times the holy women also, who hoped in God, used to adorn themselves, being submissive to their own husbands; just as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord, and you have become her children if you do what is right without being frightened by any fear.

2013/3/5 0:14Profile

Re:

I wanted to be surprised by this, but sadly its cartoonish and two dimensional and of course errors. I think when you are so passionate about the Word of God and truth and you see this sort of stuff ( the two angels in Lot morph into two Ninja's, which is what finally fininshed me off) it just makes you cringe. I guess my only mistake was to have my wife, who is not a Christain, sit down with me to watch it and after a few minutes she wandered away saying it was " hoaky." Anyway, there has never been a film or any representation that I have liked, I did not even like the Passion................bro Frank

2013/3/5 0:23
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

All this griping. Gee whiz.

At least the history channel is doing something. It is obvious they are presenting an overview of the bible. They could not possibly depict every event in the bible.

Are there some inaccuracies? Of course. But none of extreme importance.

Regarding "ninja angels" obviously there was some artistic license. But we know that angels are armed with swords. Wonder why? Didnt an angel kill thousands of enemy soldiers in a single night?

I guess my attitude when programs like this are on tv is to be very glad it is on, but not to over expect or be overly critical about minor errors or omissions. I guarantee there are thousands, maybe millions, who watched this that have never read a bible. Maybe we should just pray that the HS will move through this program instead oh holding it up to a standard of perfection. After all, we cannot even agree on biblical interpretation here on SI.

2013/3/5 8:03Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by TMK on 2013/3/5 2:03:54

All this griping. Gee whiz.

At least the history channel is doing something. It is obvious they are presenting an overview of the bible. They could not possibly depict every event in the bible.

Are there some inaccuracies? Of course. But none of extreme importance.

Regarding "ninja angels" obviously there was some artistic license. But we know that angels are armed with swords. Wonder why? Didnt an angel kill thousands of enemy soldiers in a single night?

I guess my attitude when programs like this are on tv is to be very glad it is on, but not to over expect or be overly critical about minor errors or omissions. I guarantee there are thousands, maybe millions, who watched this that have never read a bible. Maybe we should just pray that the HS will move through this program instead oh holding it up to a standard of perfection. After all, we cannot even agree on biblical interpretation here on SI.

I do see what you are saying but I disagree about the inaccuracies being less important. I do think there are very real dangers and harm that can and do come from "leaving" things out. As one poster mentioned the entire part of Moses was done in such a way that GOD got little to no recognition for freeing the Israelite from their bondage. Moses was portrayed as if all the power and miracles came from him. Where was GOD in the story...HE barely had a part?

You maybe correct in saying that there might be thousands who watch who have never read a Bible and if it causes them to dig deeper into the WORD then that is good but in my experience the opposite has been true. Sadly those I know at least tend to respond as Franks wife did...they walk away thinking its lame.

You said that we shouldn't hold it up to a standard of perfection...I wonder why shouldn't we hold it up to a standard of perfection?? GOD is perfect and the BIBLE is HIS WORD why shouldn't we be able to share that with others with out needing to water it down, change it to make it something its not, or leave huge important truths out...the only reason I can think of is so that more men will be reached with a series that will not offend them. One thing I am learning is that GOD offends...

Anyway this is just my opinion and not a recommendation to watch or not watch. If others choose to watch this series further please come back and let me know if it improves. Perhaps it will, I hope it will and I pray that the LORD allows many to come to repentance of their sins, cry out to the HIM and be saved!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
God bless
mj

2013/3/5 8:49Profile

Re:

Maryjane writes..........

".I wonder why shouldn't we hold it up to a standard of perfection?? GOD is perfect and the BIBLE is HIS WORD why shouldn't we be able to share that with others with out needing to water it down, change it to make it something its not, or leave huge important truths out...the only reason I can think of is so that more men will be reached with a series that will not offend them. One thing I am learning is that GOD offends."

I never seem to disagree with MJ :) Amen sister. Watering down is the crisis of our age. This is reported to be the most biblically illiterate generation in 300 years......bro Frank

2013/3/5 11:16
SkepticGuy

Re:

sum christian friends of ours engaged me in conversation last evening about this movie. they love everything to do w/ the christian sub-culture and are big fans of 40 days of purpose, and etc.

they were very upset with me for not loving this movie and for 'finding fault'. when i pointed out some of the glaring inaccuracies they responded with 'we didnt notice any inaccuracies'!

and therein lies the problem. the movie doesnt dive in2 anything deep, and the errors were right there on the surface, and most christians will never notice becuz they dont know their bibles. other christians who do know their bibles will accept and promote this movie becuz 'at least sum1 is doing sumthing!'

as 4 me, my regard for scripture is far too high to let gods holy word be treated like playdo in a childs hand and not say anything.

2013/3/5 14:33Profile
dohzman

Re:

I'm with you on this issue...but I could accept the surface interpretation of the Bible if its at least accurate. As I said , I fell asleep just after Lot's wife looked back.The Ninja Angels, I believe was their attempt to draw into the Bible younger people and to engage their imaginations and get them to read the Bible, and that's me trying really hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. Personally I was not upset or angry about what I saw, it was just a little disappointing because I felt it was done poorly and inaccurate. I can accept certain liberties these folks take if they did their homework on the time period, social culture of each time period, etc...They really needed to consult someone who was in-tune with God and that way at least the liberties they took would have been semi acceptable. In the case of the angels, the 2
cherubim that cover the mercy seat over the Christ( in this case the per incarnate Christ) and the whole visitation scene was really kinda disrespectful not only to the Word of God but also to the character of God. There is no doubt that those messengers of God s justice would have blinded Sodom s evil Sodomites with a flash of light so bright that they went blind from its brightness. The slashing was not nessary and was added for effect and appeal and really shows that in this country us Americans must have a thirst for the dramatic and blood, how sad. Personally I hope they have someone who is Godly in their lives that will be bold enough to council them and hopefully they will listen.This program has the potential to be a powerful tool for social interaction but it will need to make drastic changes fast for this to happen. Who knows maybe it'll get better?

2013/3/6 0:09Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Unfortunately, if we are waiting for a bible movie with a budget big enough so as to not look cheesy and with john maccarthur. Paul washer as technical advisors, we are going to have to wait for a very long time.

I guess the major point of disagreement here is that i tkink in this day something like this movie is better than nothing, and most of y'all dont. That's fine.

2013/3/6 8:23Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy