SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Bible series begins tonight...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

The Bible series begins tonight...

Greetings
For those who have interest tonight the Bible series begins on the History channel at 8:00 pm EST.

here is a link: http://www.history.com/shows/the-bible

here is a small write about:
The Bible comes to life in HISTORY’s epic new series. From Genesis to Revelation, these unforgettable stories unfold through live action and cutting-edge computer-generated imagery, offering new insight into famous scenes and iconic characters. Created by producer Mark Burnett and featuring an international cast that includes Roma Downey, this 10-hour docudrama explores the sacred text’s most significant episodes, including Noah’s journey in the ark, the Exodus and the life of Jesus.

I first heard about this series through YouVersion Bible app for the Iphone. I am going to be checking it out and just thought I would pass on the info in case others have interest as well.
God bless
maryjane

2013/3/3 8:21Profile
jenny1234

Re: The Bible series begins tonight...

Thanks for that MaryJane. God bless you.

2013/3/3 10:29Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings
So we watched the first part of the Bible series last night...did anyone else get to?

My thoughts: it was kind of hard to follow, they flew through events in the Bible so fast that it felt really disjointed. I realize for time they probably had to take this approach but left major parts of key points in the Bible out while adding in their own adaptations...example fighting ninja angels coming to Lots rescue before God destroys Sodom.

The seen when Abraham takes Isaac up to sacrifice was not done well. For one thing Abraham and Isaac travel for three days to get to the place of sacrifice yet Sara is portrayed as running there in a few short moments to try and stop him from sacrificing Isaac. The three days is important because it is a foreshadow of JESUS being in the tomb for three days before GOD raises HIM from the dead.

Then we come to Moses and the Exodus just felt so rushed with very important key elements being left out. Most noticeable they did not speak to or show any part of the pass over that the Israelite were to take part in as the angel of death was going through out Egypt. They did show the blood on the door posts but here again the lack of what this represents really causes the whole thing to loose some of its meaning.

The show itself was not bad, it was well acted. The filming was nicely done but for me I think I would rather spend the time reading the WORD itself and get the full story :)

God bless
maryjane

2013/3/4 14:26Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

i was sorely disappointed, but not surprised. MANY inaccuracies. stupid stuff that simply reading the bible would have corrected if they produces had been interested in fact checking themselves.

but what should we expect, even from evangelicals today.

2013/3/4 14:29Profile
MaryJane

Re:

by SkepticGuy on 2013/3/4 8:29:52

i was sorely disappointed, but not surprised. MANY inaccuracies. stupid stuff that simply reading the bible would have corrected if they produces had been interested in fact checking themselves.

but what should we expect, even from evangelicals today.

Greeting S.G.

My son picked up on several error also. I don't think we are going to watch the rest of the series as I don't have much hope of it improving. My husband thought the ninja angels and the rushed feeling of the show was just all to much.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts it is true some research in reading the Bible itself would have gone a long way to improve this series...
God bless
mj

2013/3/4 14:36Profile
romanchog

Re:

Having gotten rid of my TV years ago I did not watch this, but I expected nothing less. If it is going to be on secular television I had no high hopes for it. Thank God once again for not having wasted my time in front of a TV.

Stick to reading your Bible. Nothing is going to be better.

I even bought the "What's in the Bible?" Series for my children and had to return it. There is no substitute for the Bible. We should stop trying to make shortcuts. They are actually "long-cuts" as I call them.

God Bless.

2013/3/4 14:45Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

Quote:
My son picked up on several error also. I don't think we are going to watch the rest of the series as I don't have much hope of it improving. My husband thought the ninja angels and the rushed feeling of the show was just all to much.

it made moses look like a wizard. thought i was watching harry potter or sumthing. god was not given the glory for any of the miracles, it was as if moses was the source of the miracles. very disappointing. they effectively removed god from the bible.

2013/3/4 15:09Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:
For one thing Abraham and Isaac travel for three days to get to the place of sacrifice yet Sara is portrayed as running there in a few short moments to try and stop him from sacrificing Isaac.

Bible says Sara called Abraham her lord. Which means she obeyed every word of him and considered him king over her life. I have not seen this episode but once saw a movie on Abraham, the conversation they portrayed between Abraham and Sara sounded like a worldly Husband and wife who often disrespect each other. The problem is such pictures will turn out attention from few keys characteristics of the men and women of God described in Bible. It is better for us to let the holy spirit give a picture of theses scenes to us rather than watching an imitation that is directed by men who are of worldly intelligence.

2013/3/4 15:16Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

Quote:
Bible says Sara called Abraham her lord. Which means she obeyed every word of him and considered him king over her life. I have not seen this episode but once saw a movie on Abraham, the conversation they portrayed between Abraham and Sara sounded like a worldly Husband and wife who often disrespect each other. The problem is such pictures will turn out attention from few keys characteristics of the men and women of God described in Bible. It is better for us to let the holy spirit give a picture of theses scenes to us rather than watching an imitation that is directed by men who are of worldly intelligence.

well, lets be careful not to turn bible characters into sum kind of catholic art from the renaissance period. moses and sarah were human beings just like the rest of us. as a married a couple they faced the same challenges married couples face 2day. sarah obviously disobeyed god, who had spoken to her husband when it came 2 the issue of having a son. that was a great disrespect not only to god and to her husband, but also to herself as abraham's wife. she had her husband sleep with her maidservent in order to birth a child 4 abraham. whats worse is that abraham went along with this stupid idea of hers.

it is interesting how over and over again in the bible there are examples of husbands listening 2 their wives instead of god when they KNEW god had spoken. it started with eve and continued throughout the bible. it never breeded anything but grief, heartache and sin. sarah and abraham were no exception.

we are still paying for that mistake today! ishmaelites = arab muslims.

so lets keep in view the fact that these people in the bible were every bit as human as we are.

2013/3/4 15:26Profile
dohzman

srry

I don't watch much TV and I have very few Sundays off to begin with. But I was asked to watch this and it came very recommended to me from ministerial circles. I felt like MaryJane that it was rushed and dis-jointed, I actually fell asleep and only saw the first 45-50 mins of it, just up to Lots wife being turned into a pillar of salt. I think the well intention-ed people who created this series lacks both biblical accuracy and fresh imagination in the putting forth of biblical truth, it was pretty uninspired and boring to me, from what I saw.But that's me personally, I won't be breaking any records to see any more of this program, the down side is that there are people who will want to argue the bible with me now that have never read it cover to cover....Christian people even:0)

2013/3/4 16:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy