SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : But Why Not Look Unto Christ to be Saved?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

But Why Not Look Unto Christ to be Saved?

In John 6 Jesus was asked by the Jews what must we do to do the works of God. Jesus responded that the work of God is to believe in the one he has sent. By implication. To believe in Jesus. My question. So why not look unto Christ to be saved?

In our response to the modern gospel. Are we not trying to do the work of the Holy Spirit?..To prescribe brokeness or one must agonize or travail under the load of sin. Are we not trying to put a work on the gospel God never intended? Or rather are we trying to do tthe work of the Holy Sprit himself?

This is not to say that God does not bring one into a deep conviction of sin. Perhaps one may have lived a sinful life and the Holy Spirit will bring them into deep wailing and despair to be brought as unto Christ for salvstion. But what of the one who hears the glorious gospel message and responds in joy to believe in Jesus. There is not the travail of the soul. But a hearing of the gospel message and they believe. Are we going to call into account that person's salvation experience.

Obviously on both cases there is a turning away from sin. But let us be careful that refuting the modern gospel we are not mandating a work of brokeness or repentence that only the Spirit himself can work.

My thoughts.

Bearmaster.

2013/3/2 11:08

Re: But Why Not Look Unto Christ to be Saved?

For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus. Romans 2:12-16

I believe this passage of scripture addresses that question brother. I can understand why you ask the question though. The recent posts on this subject of repentance and the resulting testimonies and posts have made for a real provocation. Not only the possibility of having seeming outward realities, yet no inwards reality (as it is presented) but also how such a presentation if pressed without balance of the gospel of grace to believe, can make for a fearful concern for those who did not have such a dramatic conviction of sin in the hour they first believed.

Although my first word of response to God in the hour I believed and was born again, was “sorry” it was really a response to the holiness of God’ presence rather than a purposeful conviction of sin which made me cry after God. The fact is I knew I was a sinner. I had no delusions about this nor could I have given that I was a thief at the time. I think we have to accept that each person is dealt with by God according to His own understanding. I can say that I have been broken lots of times since that first joyous moment precisely over the issue of sin. How could anyone in such a moment deny their first understanding of God if it came by God’ himself? This would be to deny the basis on which one first believed. Yet some do testify that they went about believing themselves to be saved, and in the end came to the reality that they were not saved, because in the end they came under a real conviction of sin. I can’t really see a contradiction in any of this. Salvation is after all more than simply being born again. It is in the end being saved from our sins, not just the consequence of them.

So if one day God' says "here I am" and you childishly believe Him as you must, and another day He lays you low and shows you what a wretch you are, as He must if you are to be profitable to Him, what can we say? "Father let thy will be done."

2013/3/2 11:35
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Quote:
In John 6 Jesus was asked by the Jews what must we do to do the works of God. Jesus responded that the work of God is to believe in the one he has sent. By implication. To believe in Jesus. My question. So why not look unto Christ to be saved?

Great question brother. I believe context is key here. In that passage Jesus seems to have been addressing a crowd of self-righteous Jews who trusted in their own works, thus the Lord corrected them in their error. But in other places we see Christ preaching hard on repentance and the need for deep conviction of sin; He preached hard on sin, righteousness and the coming judgment, but He also preached on the grace and love of God. He gave the people the whole counsel of God and that is what we must endeavor to do in our witness.

Granted, in our witness to the lost, sometimes there may not be enough time to give the whole counsel on all important biblical themes so a quick word may be in place. It can be a quick word of warning/exhortation about the coming judment and need to repent, or it can be a word of encouragement to look to Jesus in faith for salvation, depending on how we may sense the Spirit leading us in each situation.

In these times the words "believe" and "faith" have been largely twisted by Satan and it has been the cause of so many false conversions in our day. That is why there is sometimes a need to explain our terms. The Bible is full of this kind of "explaining" of terms or words. James 2 comes to mind where the word "faith" is defined as belief/trust in God that produces fruitful works.

2013/3/2 12:26Profile
Elibeth

Bearmaster,

i am Repeating the scripture that you mentioned : In Jn.6,Jesus was asked by the Jews,what must we do,to do the works of God?Jesus responded,
That to do the work of God is to believe in the one He has sent.

I believe that we are not really 'believing' on the True and the right Jesus,except we ' believe
on / in Him..the,. whole / complete Jesus....now this may be the way you see ' believing' on/ in Jesus too.

When I say that, I am saying,we are not believing in the True Jesus
unless,we believe in,not only Him,but
every Word that comes out of His mouth.That is the whole Jesus.

That the True Jesus cannot be separated from what He is saying to us.
Infact, He was always wanting the people to hear what He was saying,..which were only the Words of the Father / God.

(Man shall not live,..( or have Life),by bread alone,but by every Word that
proceeds from the mouth of God).the Words that Jesus spoke,were the Words of God." The Words that I speak unto you,they are Spirit and they are Life" .

The WORKS of God,..for Jesus was to say or do whatever God told / showed Him to do or say. The scriptures says He ONLY did what the Father showed Him. He said, " the Father did the work"
Now,that was the work of God.

God is Spirit, so did that mean that Jesus was "led by the Spirit of God,..His Father,..? also He expects us,as His children,to be "led by the Spirit of God"(for as many,as are led by the Spirit of God,They are the
sons / children of God") That too,is God that does the works.
He gives the ability through the Holy Spirit.

And that is His Grace,drawing us,in His kingdom,to do The King' will
In the kingdom of God.

GRACE: the Devine influence upon the heart and it's reflection in the life.

* The Devine influence upon the heart : 'the hearing of the Word'

* it's reflection In the life : 'the doing of the Word' .

I do not know if I have made what I am trying to say very clear, and how this fits with what you are saying, ...and I do fear,as this is brought forth.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this conversation.

elizabeth

2013/3/2 18:43Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Bumped up,just once,.. maybe,Bearmaster?

2013/3/4 10:36Profile

Re:

Elisabeth, my sister, I read your post. I appreciate the sweet spirit in which it was written in. I am a little confused about what you were trying to share. But I think I can say I am in agreement with you.

Bear.

2013/3/4 10:59

Re:

Elisabeth went back and read your post again. J think I see what you are sharing from your heart. To believe inJesus is to believe in his words. Amen, dear sister, amen.

Bearmaster.

2013/3/4 12:32
Sree

Quote:

But a hearing of the gospel message and they believe. Are we going to call into account that person's salvation experience.

Obviously on both cases there is a turning away from sin. But let us be careful that refuting the modern gospel we are not mandating a work of brokeness or repentence that only the Spirit himself can work.

I lived as a Hindu for first 25 year of my life. I always had a clear sin conviction in my life. I know my life is not pleasing God. The moment I understood the Gospel and the life that Jesus is offering me, I accepted it with both hand and accepted Jesus as my savior. I came with a joy and also with repentance. But did that cause me to live a victorious life? NO it did not. It was brokenness that came 2 years after accepting Christ that lead me to a victorious life in Jesus.

Was I born again when I accepted Jesus?

Yes I was. I repented from my sinful life and idol worship. I felt a regenerated spirit in me that wanted me to hate sin. The Old man who enjoyed living in Continuous sin was dead. But the New man was not strong enough to fight the temptations. He failed often. But every time he failed he confessed his sins and came to Jesus with repentance. Until one day when he got frustrated by his failure. He doubted his salvation and decided that he is no longer fit to follow Jesus. At that moment he truly experienced Jesus. He saw Jesus as his Lord. After that Sin has no dominion on him. He might still slip up occasionally but his standard was way higher now, he confessed and came back immediately.

Could I attain this stage if I have not repented initially?

I do not think so. Jesus is light. We cannot invite him in our life without repenting from our past sins. It is like saying I brought light into my house but the darkness still remained. How is it possible?

2013/3/4 13:12Profile

Re:

Sree each of us has a different story of how we came to Christ. And Praise God for a story as you have shared. All of our stories involve turning away from our sins and turning to God. All of our stories involve faith in Jesus.

What I am concerned about is we do not take an experience of repentence and make it normative for salvation in Christ.

Bearmaster

2013/3/4 14:02
Sree

Re:

Quote:

What I am concerned about is we do not take an experience of repentence and make it normative for salvation in Christ.

I understood your point. My point in my testimony is I was born again because I repented and then believed. I do not believe that I would reach this stage if I had accepted Jesus and did not repent.

When the Bible clearly says repent and then believe then who are we to separate what God has united? What God has united (repentance and faith) let no man separate. Anything against the word of God is a lie because God alone is true.

If God wanted to produce repentance in us without us playing any part in it then Jesus will not be asking 5 out of 7 churches in Revelation to Repent. His spirit could have easily achieved it. I believe these 5 churches have grown dull in hearing and that is why they were not sensitive to the call of the spirit for them to repent. Hence Jesus had to appear to Apostle John to write a letter asking these Churches to repent. The danger of removing repentance from faith and belief is we will end up producing so called Christians who are hard hearted and does not heed to the voice of the spirit. But internally they will believe that they got a ticket to heaven.

2013/3/4 15:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy