SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Richard Dawkins Lecture- Should I attend?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
romanchog

Richard Dawkins Lecture- Should I attend?

I received an invitation to a live lecture by Richard Dawkins. The title is "The Science of Beauty and the Beauty of Science." I was thinking of taking my children who are home schooled and are very well educated on the science of creation, so I don't have any concern about them being convinced by him. I thought it might be an educational experience for them. However, I also think it might be a complete waste of time.

I was just wondering what others here might think.

In Christ,
Natalie

2013/2/24 18:03Profile
Compton

Re: Richard Dawkins Lecture- Should I attend?

It's hard to give certain advice to others on this one, but I would take my children if I had the opportunity.

2013/2/24 18:11Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I would go and sit at the back and pray fervently the entire time.

2013/2/24 18:24Profile

Re: Richard Dawkins Lecture- Should I attend?

The thought of sitting my children at the feet of Richard Dawkins makes me personally shudder. Even the title of the lecture is a lie. Not because the visible universe is not the creation of God, but because Richard Dawkins can only use it in a deceptive way. He does not believe in a creation, he believes that life began on a crystal. I have heard it from his own mouth. When I first heard this somewhat extraordinary saying coming from such a mind of reason I thought I must have misheard. When he was pressed on the point even he was somewhat reticent but he repeated it with a rather abstract confirmation. The next thought I had was Ezekiel chapter twenty eight. I thought to myself how extraordinary that this man who so hates God, should be led to think of Satan as the originator of the life of men. What men I thought, not the biological man, the rebellious and independent man. Then I thought yes its is true the man Richard Dawkins understands did find himself by the hand of the bright shining one.

If that is too abstract then please feel free to just ignore it.

Just in case you cannot ignore it here is the video. The interview with Richard Dawkins is at 1:27:30 seconds

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/expelled-no-intelligence-allowed/

2013/2/24 19:17
romanchog

Re:

amrkelly wrote: //The thought of sitting my children at the feet of Richard Dawkins makes me personally shudder. Even the title of the lecture is a lie. Not because the visible universe is not the creation of God, but because Richard Dawkins can only use it in a deceptive way. He does not believe in a creation, he believes that life began on a crystal.//

I agree. I would never let them sit "at the feet of Richard Dawkins." I am simply taking them to listen to what he has to say. They have watched many of his debates on the internet and I believe that they are well prepared already. My husband was a science instructor and really taught us about science and evolution. I would never let them attend if I did not think they were prepared. Also, I would attend with them. I have some science training as well, so none of this would be over my head. I know that Dawkins is a deceiver and that he receives all from the Father of Lies. It is very sad. His position comes from a hatred of God, it is so obvious!

I don't understand why you think that his position that life began on a crystal (by the way he is not the only one who believes this) is the same as saying that Satan was the author of life. I am really interested in getting your insight on this.

2013/2/24 19:47Profile

Re:

It was nice seeing Stein tug at his heart.

2013/2/24 20:28
romanchog

Re:

We watched this film "No Intelligence Allowed" about two years ago.

One of the most striking things that we found in this film was the interview with one of the scientists (I don't remember which one). He claimed that once he gave up his belief in God he felt a freedom that was awesome. This, I believe, is the root of all of their issues: if they believe in God, this will restrict their lives into certain modes of behavior and thinking or else they will feel guilt. By renouncing a belief in God, they no longer have that constraint and therefore they do feel "free."

Lest we judge them too harshly, we must understand that we are not in the same condition as they are only by the grace of God. After an intense period of suffering just 4 years ago when I felt God was not answering my prayers, I almost let go of my belief in God. I could feel and taste the freedom that would bring me, but I felt the hand of God holding me tight and not letting me go there. No doubt, the prayers of my husband kept me.

We need to pity and pray for these men, not react with judgment. What a wonderful thing it would be if all of these men would receive Christ. We were quite saddened in our family when we heard Christopher HItchens state after his cancer diagnosis that he would never believe in God, and that if he ever said that he would have to be delusional. Apparently, he died in his sins. Such sorrow. It is not for not knowing the Gospel. At one of his debates, I heard him give a better explanation of the Gospel than many Christians and even pastors and evangelists give. We must pray for these souls. It is what Christ would call us to do.

2013/2/24 21:12Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Natalie,

We are seeker after Truth,and I really believe if we are seeking to
know an answer in something that we do not yet understand, then we are to continue on seeking the Truth in the matter, But if we know something is a lie,and we are to have our eyes fixed on Truth,to expose my children to the lie and to risk the chance of a seed being planted within
them,...I would just NOT go at all.....unless The Lord should direct me alone to go and speak some Truth to them,only.

Please Natalie,do not think that I am trying to be harse,...I am not,
but with all gentleness am I saying this.

Lovingly always,
elizabeth

2013/2/24 21:37Profile
proudpapa

Have your children experienced a Crises of Belief and prevailed and found God to be real for themselves??

Have your children been sheltered from the effects of sin??
or have they seen with their own eyes the end of sin, such as drug addicts displaying the reality of the demonic world through drug withdraws or an drunk wallering in their own vomit??

I personaly would encourage rather than take them to a hyped up live lecture of a well dressed highly educated confident extremely persuasive man that is going to present his anti God views extremly charismatically while ridiculing and mocking everything that you have taught your children.
Take them to the slummiest homless shelter you can find to see the end of sin, take them to the most Notorious avenue, in the closest big city that you live near, at 11:00 on a weekend night, Show them what the end of sin is.

Regardless of how well educated on the science of creation they might be, relieze the spirtual war and demonic persuasive signals that will be presented.

Just some things that I would consider if I where in this position.

2013/2/24 22:44Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

If you choose to go you might want to talk to your kids about how words are used. In some cases a speaker can and will use humor and comedy to win a crowd over on a subject. Make it sound silly enough and they can prove something wrong to the crowd and the crowd will buy it.

I heard a lecture by Richard on the way home from work today. He was in a debate and he was mocking 'The Heavens declare the Glory of God' . He also mentioned the ridiculousness of sin but put it in the context of science.

2013/2/24 23:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy