· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Tim Tebow Cancels Appearance at Dallas Megachurch Amid Controversy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Long Beach CA USA

Tim Tebow Cancels Appearance at Dallas Megachurch Amid Controversy

To me this is just another instance of a secular "Christian" celebrity revealing his true colors. Many such celebrities present to the world a god that is suitable to the world, one that everyone can cozy up to and be comfortable with, and who doesn't offend anyone. That certainly turns out to be the case with Tebow.

Dallas, Texas – Football superstar Tim Tebow announced today that he has decided to cancel his appearance at an upcoming grand opening ceremony of a Dallas megachurch amid controversy over his possible attendance at a church that opposes homosexual behavior and all religions other than Christianity.

The New York Jets quarterback was to speak at a celebration service for a new $130 million facility belonging to Pastor Robert Jeffress of First Baptist Church in Dallas, an effort that is said to be the largest church building project in history. Jeffress explained in a recent news release that he felt it was important to construct the new building due to the increase in the size of his congregation.

“At a time when suburban megachurches are the norm and research shows that many people no longer feel the Church is relevant, First Baptist is committed to the Bible and to downtown Dallas,” he said. “People are hungry not for religion but for the Word of God. First Baptist Dallas is built on the Bible, and because of that we are growing.”

The facility features a 3,000 seat worship center and 150-foot viewing screen, which is stated to consist of seven high definition projectors, making it among the largest church megatrons in the world. Also included on campus is a Family Center, which features a gymnasium and playground, as well as a seven-story parking garage.

However, following word that Tebow was to make an appearance at the grand opening of the facility, many homosexual advocates and other groups began to express concern because of statements that Jeffress has made in the past. Jeffress reportedly has noted that he believes homosexual behavior is contrary to the Bible, and has spoken against Mormons, Muslims, Jews and Catholics.

Raw Story notes that Jeffress declared in 2011 that Islam is a “heretical” religion from “the pit of Hell,” and that “you can’t be saved being a Jew.” He is also quoted as stating, “Homosexuality is perverse; it represents a degradation of a person’s mind and if a person will sink that low and there are no restraints from God’s law, then there is no telling to whatever sins he will commit as well.”

This morning, Tebow made an announcement on Twitter that he had decided to cancel his appearance

http://christiannews.net/2013/02/21/tim-tebow-cancels-appearance-at-dallas-megachurch-amid-controversy/

blog: www.Christisexalted.us

2013/2/22 0:27Profile
HezWelling

Re: Tim Tebow Cancels Appearance at Dallas Megachurch Amid Controversy

just more confusion....little to do with "Christ and Him Crucified".

Tim Tebow was practically "deifed"...in a period of time, and Tim is an athelete in a sport, that resembles the violence of the roman empire gladiators...to me, what would be more world shaking, is if Tim, suddenly walked away from football, learned a foreign language, and went into the mission field...ONLY though if he had been Called...much like CT Studd, who i believe was a famous British athelete, who gave up sport, and i believe he went to China, to preach the Gospel...(correct me i'm wrong)

Now God love Tim, but the LORD knows, there is a great degree of idolatry in the public marketplace.

and i went and watched Pastor Jeffress on various youtube offerings, one was of Anderson Cooper telling of the pastor, calling mormonism a "cult", and implying that Rick Perry would be a "better candidate" than Romney coz he's a mormon...then Anderson "interviews" the pastor, who explains that mormonism is a "theological cult", and that "at the 1st baptist church, we dont (uphold mormonism)".

okay, what the pastor said, about mormonism is Scripturally 'correct'...but presenting this in a venue, Anderson Cooper/CNN...how does that engender outsiders (the 'lost") to be 'envious of so great a Salvation'?....the pastor, God love him, knew the Letter of the Law, but the Spirit?

and i watched another clip of pastor Jeffress just preaching, and expounding on the 'satanic origins" of the roman church....and this clip had been put up by "right wing watch dot org"....and Scripturally, what he's saying is not incorrect, but later, what if i had come to him, and asked, "in light of the High Priestly Prayer of Jesus in John 17...isnt this maginificent building that can hold 10,000 people, and a big sign out front thats says "First Baptist Church", with a "payroll" in the millions"...run counter to what Jesus prayed in That Prayer of John 17?

there is just so much confusion these days, and division amongst the Body of Christ...mixing the holy with the common, so many denominations, organizations, buildings.....oh, it just breaks my heart in way, human words are truly inadequate....but this Hope remains, dimly seen, God is doing a Work, that will change it all in the blink of an eye..It's still a tiny Flame, as we groan in these jars of clay..pressed, but not crushed. neil

2013/2/22 5:30Profile
dohzman

Re:

In the multitude of words is folly and sin is not far behind.I think in this day and age christian leaders have become more naive to the devices of satan, in the news media, than ever before. Unfortunately both this pastor and Tebow have hurt thier respective testimonies in this specific affair. Sometimes saying less is saying more,to that Dallas Pastor. And keeping ones commitments even to their own hurt(proverbs-a principle to live by) for Tim Tebow. Do I believe they are broth Christians? Yes, and that I take by faith and just pray for them, that the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ would give them discernment and wisdom, that wisdom that comes from above(book of James).

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim freedom to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free the oppressed,
Luk 4:19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
There it is the plumline! How do I measure up to it? How do we measure up to it? Are we like Jesus, our master, or no?

2013/2/22 9:11Profile
MrBillPro

Houston,Texas

Re:

Tebow yielded to Political Correct pressure because he is in the public eye and part of the Pop Culture crowd. It could have affected his promotions, endorsements etc Hit him in the pocketbook. There is no room for having a different view than pop culture. They are all in lockstep. They want everyone to be just like them. There is no tolerance for anyone who is not like them.

Brother Bill

2013/2/22 9:46Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
there is just so much confusion these days, and division amongst the Body of Christ...mixing the holy with the common, so many denominations, organizations, buildings.....oh, it just breaks my heart in way, human words are truly inadequate....but this Hope remains, dimly seen, God is doing a Work, that will change it all in the blink of an eye..It's still a tiny Flame, as we groan in these jars of clay..pressed, but not crushed.

Confusion always seems to follow an unbalanced emphasis on things, something right and good and then a bit in excess. Satan promotes confusion because he knows that it will cause people to become disillusioned and end up not believing anything, particularly the truth.

T.A. Sparks points out that this is why the Apostle John always pinpointed truth in his letters with the oft repeated phrase "This is ..." This is love...this is the commandment...this is the true God...this is that spirit of anti-christ...

Thank God that the anointing teacheth of all things.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=42626&forum=34

In Christ,

Ron

You have said, Seek My face [inquire for and require My presence as your vital need]. My heart says to You, Your face (Your presence), Lord, will I seek, inquire for, and require [of necessity and on the authority of Your Word]. (Psalm 27:8 Amplified Bible)

2013/2/22 10:23Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

It could have affected his promotions, endorsements etc Hit him in the pocketbook.

Agreed. I am not going to blame Tebow for this he is just a victim of persecution. This is how Persecution will come, we will be forced to agree on something otherwise we will face loss. Frankly I don't know whether I will be able to handle this situation and stand true to my faith. But my trust is in Lord. If Lord gives me grace then I will not value the loss of endorsement and stand true to Lord else I will backslide as well.

Same is the case if someone asks us to agree on a thing which scripture clearly disagrees and says if you do not agree then I will take away your job. I don't think anyone of us will be able to withstand this without God's grace. Personally I cannot withstand this by my strength, I will be worried about supporting my family. Hence I do not want to judge Tebow for yielding to the pressure. If I had the strength in me then I can judge him. If the strength I have is coming from God then how can I judge him?

We have a similar scenario where an Elder of a Church in my hometown in India who works as a full time doctor for government, disagreed to give anesthesia to patients who wanted to do abortion. He said it is against his faith and he is willing to stand in street than doing something that is against his faith. God protected his Job for standing for the truth. I believe God gave him this strength.

2013/2/22 11:22Profile
MrBillPro

Houston,Texas

Re:

Maybe if Tebow and other professed Christian sporting figures, endorsed only Christian based company's, they would not be in jeopardy of loosing their endorsements, for sticking to their Christian beliefs. Yes, they may not get the big bucks they get from the secular based company's, but just knowing you are pleasing Christ, and making a few extra bucks should bring you more peace in your walk.

Brother Bill

2013/2/22 12:05Profile
dohzman

Re: wow

To be honest I don't know Tim Tebow personally and I haven't heard by "Word of Knowledge" from the Lord on this matter so I have to take things by face value on it. Maybe you guys have heard from God directly about this and the reasons why, I don't know, I don't know the mans heart, only the testimony of what I've heard and a few little things from what I've read in the media, which I trust very little.Had the Lord spoken to me about this He would have laid a burden of prayer on me and I would be bound to silence on judging this mans heart and motives.

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim freedom to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free the oppressed,
Luk 4:19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
There it is the plumline! How do I measure up to it? How do we measure up to it? Are we like Jesus, our master, or no?

2013/2/22 12:12Profile
Oracio

Long Beach CA USA

Re:

Tebows is quoted as saying, “While I was looking forward to sharing a message of hope and Christ’s unconditional love with the faithful members of the historic First Baptist Church of Dallas in April, due to new information that has been brought to my attention, I have decided to cancel my upcoming appearance,” he wrote. “I will continue to use the platform God has blessed me with to bring faith, hope and love to all those needing a brighter day. Thank you for all of your love and support. God Bless!”

It sounds like the same ole "Joel Osteen" type of message which is very popular these days, "God loves and accepts you just the way you are, you can have your best life now, a brighter day."

However, regarding the pastor, though I admire his bold stance on biblical truth he is not completely off the hook here. Someone posted a comment below the news article which I thought was spot on and worth posting here:

"I am more troubled by celebrity Christianity. Why do we have to have celebrity Christians endorsements? I really like Tim Tebow but he is learning the hard lesson of celebrity Christianity and Robert Jeffress is learning the draw backs of getting on the celebrity Christian bandwagon. The gospel is the power of God and you do not have to have celebrities preach it. Tim will have to learn to take the hits with the platform God has given him. Tim is young and he will be okay. He is probably tired. As for pastor Jeffress, if the word of God is the power of God and you stand on it then why build Six Flags Over Jesus and ask a celebrity to endorse it? Do not be too hard on Tim"-Michael Felkins

blog: www.Christisexalted.us

2013/2/22 12:23Profile
MrBillPro

Houston,Texas

Re:

Quote:
dohzman...To be honest I don't know Tim Tebow personally and I haven't heard by "Word of Knowledge" from the Lord on this matter so I have to take things by face value on it.

I have not heard a "Word of Knowledge" from the Lord, if I should go into this busy street and rescue the little 8 month old child from getting run over, guess if I don't hear any word soon, I can always just pray he don't get run over. Did God not give us "wisdom" to use? please show me "one" scripture in the word, were it's says we need to hear a word from the Lord, on every decision we make in life. If the spirit resides in us, would it not direct us? Many Christians today would rather come up with excuses than act. God does not always need to hold our hand. If we all had to hear a word from the Lord, on each decision we make in our everyday life, most would never make it out of bed.
The Bible tells us that we need to be led by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, it must be possible for every one of us to discern the promptings and guidance of the Holy Spirit within us!

Brother Bill

2013/2/22 12:27Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy