SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Talents

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
ceedub

Canada

Talents

What exactly do the talents represent in Matt 25?

2013/2/18 14:54Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Talents

I have always felt that they can be interpreted as the opportunities that you have -- through knowledge, time, gifts, etc...

God has invested much in us. What type of interest have we shown with that investment?

2013/2/18 15:20Profile

Re: Talents

It is often said that the talent in Mathew chapter 25 means ability, however the word ability is also mentioned in that same verse from Mathew chapter twenty five. So we read “And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one; to each according to his several ability; and he went on his journey (v15). Clearly the two words “talent” and “ability” appear together and therefore cannot have the same meaning. They are in fact two different greek words in the original language. The talent mentioned in this verse carries the same kind of meaning as “money” or “coinage” carries, because although actual money is not intended, the “talent” in this verse is “like” money. It is of itself something having value and the ability to increase its value. On the other hand the “ability” referred to in this verse speaks of the moral character of a person. The three amounts of talents given indicates not only “quantity” but it is also a reflection of the moral character of the person to whom the talent is given. In short the Lord does not give five talents to one who does not have the moral character to profit from one talent for his master, but instead gives the five talents to the one who will profit for the master according to five talents. On the other hand everyone has sufficient moral character in Christ to profit from at least one talent, for the Lord’ sake. All the Lord asks of us is that we labour according to who we are in Him at the very least, and return some benefit from the “talent” or “talents” which the Lord gives.

This then brings us to the question of what is the talent. It is a measure of the calling of God in our lives. Faith, calling, gifts of the Holy Spirit, upbringing, ability to obey God, ability to be faithful to God, obedience to authority and perhaps many other such things. The talent is at very least that which God supernaturally invests in us throughout our lives in order to serve Him when He calls us to the vineyard to labour, in order that we might be profitable servants. As this investment is of God Himself it is able to grown and multiply just like real money is able to grow if it is put to use even in the smallest way. In short the talent is a responsibility and a duty to God Himself through Christ (the Master) to whom we have to give an account. It is evidence that we are servants of the Master and it is a requirement to serve the Master. It is also the basis for heavenly rewards.

2013/2/18 15:39
ceedub

Canada

Re:

It seems from the parable that
1. The talents are the Master's wealth and not ours
2. Talents are given to true and counterfeit converts alike
3. His servants are expected to bring an increase or show themselves counterfeit. (Though no means to salvation, the increase seems rather proof of salvation)
4. All increase is turned over to the Master
5. There are no excuses to not bring increase on day of reckoning.
6. They are given based on ability as perfectly meted out by the Master and not for us to decide, but rather to know we've been given what we should.

So what is specifically the Lord's that we are to increase, will be judged by the increase, will prove or disprove our place in the visible church, and all gain goes back to Him, with no excuses for failure?

2013/2/18 18:59Profile

Re:

Quote:
So what is specifically the Lord's that we are to increase, will be judged by the increase, will prove or disprove our place in the visible church, and all gain goes back to Him, with no excuses for failure?

Life brother. Eternal life is the thing given which when received also comes with a calling of God and faith equal to that calling. Jesus said “whosoever cometh unto Me from his inner parts shall flow rivers of living water”. This flowing is either free of hinderance and therefore profitable, or else it is mixed with brackish water and produces a limited effect or else the cistern is stopped up completely because of a hard heart. This latter case was true in the parable with the servant who received the one talent. Of course if this is true, that the essential thing given which produces increase, is eternal life, then the servant with the one talent is not a false concert but simply a lazy servant. That raises a few questions!

2013/2/19 23:01
ceedub

Canada

Re:

How could a servant that received 'eternal' life be referred to as lazy, wicked, and be thrown into outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth?

Sorry friend, but God doesn't speak that way to those hidden in Christ.

2013/2/22 6:43Profile

Re:

Sorry friend, but God doesn't speak that way to those hidden in Christ.

Then there is nothing to say is there and your question becomes more like a lion in the thicket who's quiet murmurings are mistook for pain. Then as you draw closely to give some comfort the lion roars and makes good its escape into the night. Oh the fool who mistook the lion in the thicket for pain and saw not the lion who devours!

2013/2/22 12:12
ceedub

Canada

Re:

?

So by disagreeing that God would call His children lazy and wicked and send them to hell I'm a 'devouring lion'?

Maybe we're just having a bad day? Or do you imply God would say these things to those that have eternal life?

2013/2/22 13:06Profile

Re:

Quote:
So by disagreeing that God would call His children lazy and wicked and send them to hell I'm a 'devouring lion'?

Maybe we're just having a bad day? Or do you imply God would say these things to those that have eternal life?

If I was having a bad day that certainly cheered me up. Thanks.

2013/2/22 15:25
ceedub

Canada

Re:

I'm sorry, somehow I got into the "Resort to personal slander in a passive -aggressive yet eloquent fashion" blog. I was just hoping to discuss the talents and yet be able to have an opinion at the same time.

My own view is that they pertain to stewardship of the Kingdom of Heaven in the visible church, and however one can bring Christ increase. I have found no consensus online or in the commentaries and was wanting input if any others have any.

2013/2/22 17:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy