SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Know of any Books or Sermons on Fasting?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
romanchog

Know of any Books or Sermons on Fasting?

I was wondering if any of you can recommend a book or a sermon that explains the purpose of fasting. My 14-year old son was fasting to "get closer to God" (his words). It occurred to him after one day of fasting that you can get closer to God without fasting, so what role does fasting play in this? (He is a very godly boy who prays several times a day and memorizes scripture. He is not trying to get out of fasting simply trying to understand it.)

I could not answer his question, so I would like a good resource for him to get a good and biblical answer.

Thank you for this.

Natalie

2013/2/14 20:36Profile
ANDRY

Tananarive Madagascar

Re: Know of any Books or Sermons on Fasting?

www.shiloahbooks.com/download/Atomic.pdf

2013/2/15 1:10Profile
Aprlshws

Re:

Thank you for posting this link though I haven't read it all yet the comments on gluttony where heart piercing.

2013/2/15 7:06Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Jentezen Franklin has a very good small book on fasting (called "Fasting"). His ministry website has a lot of info and sermons, etc on this topic.

2013/2/15 7:29Profile
Aprlshws

Re:

Thanks TMK that is a great website already learned some great things well worth the look

2013/2/15 8:17Profile
Solomon101

America's Heartand

Re:

The chapter on fasting from RIchard Foster's classic Celebration Of Discipline is excellent.

Although some here will dismiss this author out of hand with no actual first hand knowledge of him, A Common Sense Guide To Fasting by Kenneth E Hagin is small, inexpensive, and easily readable. It contains lot's of Biblical thoughts and ideas coupled with a good measure of common sense.

2013/2/15 8:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

solomon wrote:

"The chapter on fasting from RIchard Foster's classic Celebration Of Discipline is excellent."

Agreed.

2013/2/15 9:28Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Re: Know of any Books or Sermons on Fasting?

A good book about fasting that I can recommend is "God's Chosen Fast" by Arthur Wallis.

It is available in Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Gods-Chosen-Fast-Arthur-Wallis/dp/0875085547

Christianbook.com
http://www.christianbook.com/gods-chosen-fast-arthur-wallis/9780875085548/pd/085547

An introductory summary:
http://www.mtsinaiministries.org/docs/FASTING_for_CJ_Matthews11.pdf

2013/2/15 10:07Profile
romanchog

Re:

Thanks for all these responses. I will check the resources.

I knew of Jentezen Franklin, but my knowledge of him came from TBN when he first started teaching on fasting some years back. Having disassociated myself from the preaching on TBN, I was concerned about looking at his teachings about fasting. I will look over them, however, since it has been brought up on this forum.

2013/2/15 12:46Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Romanchog-

I admit I do not know tons about Jentezen Franklin. But I do know he preaches the word, from what I have heard. I agree that TBN has major issues, but I wouldnt necessarily reject every person who has ever been on there.

His church does a corporate 30 day fast every January and that is certainly a good thing.

I have heard some snippets of his sermons on the website www.fireonthealtar.com that are very good. If you click on "compilations" at top left and find the one entitled "Don't feed on dead things" it is pretty powerful. Two more good ones are "Are we really loving Jesus" and "Don't resist the Holy Ghost."

2013/2/15 14:12Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy