SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I was raised to believe college was evil.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

I was raised to believe college was evil.

[quote}
I was raised to believe college was evil.

I have always loved to learn. I enjoyed school and homeschool as well, when my family went that route. It seems I am always learning something; there are always a few topics I am researching whenever I have time.

When I was young, my family joined an organization that taught us we should not go to college. They told us college would corrupt us, and lead us on a path to Hell. Besides, the good character we were learning as part of the organization’s program would be enough to get us jobs almost anywhere. Or so they said.

Needless to say, that never happened. I am in my late 30s, and want to go to college. I want to learn all those subjects that were forbidden. I’m not yet sure what degree I want. My sheltered life has left me with too few experiences, something I am constantly trying to remedy. My current plan is to take a wide variety of courses in the first two years, then decide on a final plan.

No matter what degree I ultimately get, I know that I want to be a help to others. I would love to start a safe house for girls like me, so they can start on life much earlier than I was able to. I want it to be a place where they can de-program at their own pace and gain new experiences as they are ready for them. A degree in counseling would be very beneficial for this. Another option would be a teaching degree or something similar, as I love working with special needs children.

Whatever I wind up choosing, I know that my huge heart will do its best to make people feel special, loved, and safe.
{/quote]

I came across this quote from someone who is seeking to go to college and grew up in a quiverfull household. Why would an organization teach their people what she has said in a broad about way? It reads as something that could be to the left of Islamic Fundamentalists and how they view women.

What do you think about this persons words?

2013/2/6 12:51Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: I was raised to believe college was evil.

Well, obviously college CAN corrupt a person.

It does not follow that a Christian should not go to college. The logic escapes me.

It's a wide world out there and we are called to be in it, just not of it.

If we want Christians teachers, doctors, lawyers, politicians, etc etc etc then at least some Christians need to go to college.

Our salt and light should squelch corruption. David ran at Goliath.

2013/2/6 15:17Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

the world already thinks christians are uneducated and stupid. thats the stereotype that hollywood has put forward and society has swallowed up. why prove their point for them? get an education. be smart about it, and if u have 2 go 2 a secular college then go and be salt and light while ur there, and stay in the bible as ur means of survival.

2013/2/6 15:33Profile
SkepticGuy

Re:

the world already thinks christians are uneducated and stupid. thats the stereotype that hollywood has put forward and society has swallowed up. why prove their point for them? get an education. be smart about it, and if u have 2 go 2 a secular college then go and be salt and light while ur there, and stay in the bible as ur means of survival.

2013/2/6 15:38Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

There are movements that believe that you should leave college and not be educated, we need people with some intelligence
As atheists tend to view and disregard Christianity People like Richard dawkins
People like Nate Saint, David Livingstone, Pascal

I am starting Open University again and doing a chefs course. In the areas of computing and cooking I need prayer as being a student myself.

John Wesley used to read the greek new testament, Jonathan Edwards went to University at the age of 8, David Branerd went to university Yale.

I forget about ministries like Answers in genesis and cosmologists and philosphers
We need educated people to answer things like Dr jason Liesle with the Big bang and other Dr's in different areas to counteract

2013/2/6 17:45Profile
Compton

Re:

Well, the financial cost of college does feel evil. ;)

2013/2/6 18:46Profile

Re: The Cost may no just be financial

There is nothing inherently evil with an education. What may well be evil is the effect of an education and the setting in which you get one. Degree courses especially are inclined to have philosophical elements to the syllabus so that even a pure science subject would have philosophical biases which are "of this world" and can be very harmful or insidious. Arts subjects will be a trip to hell and back and Humanities are just a trip to hell.

2013/2/6 20:09

Re: I was raised to believe college was evil.

be brave, be strong, be resolute, in faith, in Messiah, go forth, and follow this leading, turning neither to the left or to the right....and watch God work, i pray this in Jesus' Name, amen.

2013/2/6 21:43
elias7291

Los Angeles

Re:

I understand where you are coming from. There are things that you will be exposed to that are totally against God's word, especially at a public university. I myself am an undergrad at a public university and i have heard God mocked in almost every class that i have taken, from both professors and students alike.

But don't be discouraged. getting an education is a real valuable thing that will bless you greatly. As Carter Conlon always says "God is never left without a testimony." Even at public institutions there are followers of Christ whom you you can learn from and be encouraged with. So definetly go for it!

2013/2/6 22:16Profile
proudpapa

The Anti-Christian Roots of the University

The Absolute best book ever written on inspiration 'Historical Criticism of the Bible: Reflections of a Bultmannian Turned Evangelical' the author a former liberal scholar and student of Rudolph Bultmann 'Eta Linnemann' 'Baker Books 1990 translated by Robert W. Yarbrough' P. 23

The Anti-Christian Roots of the University

The university as a phenomenon of western culture was from the beginning a pagan institution. "The university in Athens was closed because of its pagan character [in 529 B.C.] The re-establishment of the university in the High Middle Ages at the end of the twelfth century occured in conjunction with renewed interest in aspects of pagan culture as the main object of study.
The corpus juris civiles (body of civil law) was the object of study around which the first universitas magistrorum et scholarium (university of professors and students) gathered in Bologna, Italy. This law code contained regulationes enacted in the Christian era, but as a whole it comprised a collection of laws stemming from pre-Christian,pagan times
The writings of Aristotle-a pagan philospher-were the objects of study which gave rise to the founding of the second university,this one in Paris.

The reason for the far-reaching autonomy of this new form of institution lay in spontaneous scientific interest, an intense desire to know and understand for the sake of truth, wich was willing to risk conflict to achieve its aims. In Bologna, it was legal code of the Roman emperor Justinian which had been virtually disregarded for 500 years and which was nowhere in force. In Paris attention was focused on the natural-philosophical and metaphysical writings, just then available for the first time in latin translation, of Aristotle, who stood under the suspicion of heresy.

2013/2/6 22:42Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy