SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Eight Symptoms of False Teaching – J.C. Ryle

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Eight Symptoms of False Teaching – J.C. Ryle

Eight Symptoms of False Teaching
Many things combine to make the present increase of false doctrine especially dangerous.

1. There is an undeniable zeal in some teachers of error–their “earnestness” makes many people think they must be right.
2. There is a great appearance of learning and theological knowledge–many think that such clever and intellectual men must surely be safe to listen to.
3. There is a general tendency to completely free and independent thinking today–many like to prove their independence of judgment by believing the newest ideas, which are nothing but novelties.
4. There is a wide-spread desire to appear kind, loving, and open-minded–many seem half-ashamed to say that anybody can be wrong or is a false teacher.
5. There is always a portion of half-truth taught by modern false teachers–they are always using scriptural words and phrases, but with unscriptural meaning.
6. There is a public craving for a more sensational and entertaining worship–people are impatient with the more inward and invisible work of God within the hearts of men.
7. There is a superficial readiness all around to believe anyone who talks cleverly, lovingly and earnestly, forgetting that Satan often masquerades himself as an angel of light (2 Cor. 11:14).
8. There is a wide-spread ignorance among professing Christians–every heretic who speaks well is surely believed, and anyone who doubts him is called narrow-minded and unloving.
All these are especially symptoms of our times. I challenge any honest and observant person to deny them. These tend to make the assaults of false doctrine today especially dangerous and make it even more important to say loudly, “Do not be carried away with strange doctrine!”
– J. C. Ryle (1816-1900)

from: http://time2standblog.com/2013/02/02/%EF%BB%BFeight-symptoms-of-false-teaching-j-c-ryle/

2013/2/3 12:12Profile
proudpapa

Re: Eight Symptoms of False Teaching – J.C. Ryle

This artical seems to me as a poor analysis for determing False Teaching, almost all 8 of the proposed symptoms can also be attributed to The Teachers of truth and truthful doctrines.

RE: ///1. There is an undeniable zeal in some teachers of error–their “earnestness” makes many people think they must be right///

But such a zeal often times and should be found also in teachers of the truth. Gal.4:18, Such an attribute is not one exclusive to a False teacher.

RE:/// 2. There is a great appearance of learning and theological knowledge–many think that such clever and intellectual men must surely be safe to listen to.///

Now this may be one of the better proposed factors for determing False Teaching in the artical. Romans 16:18,
1 Corinthians 2:1,1 Corinthians 2:4,1 Corinthians 4:19,
2 Corinthians 3:12,
But In a world that worships at the alter of scolasticism one could have dificulty diserning between one with theological knowledge and one who comes in demonstration of the Spirit and of power.

RE/// 3. There is a general tendency to completely free and independent thinking today–many like to prove their independence of judgment by believing the newest ideas, which are nothing but novelties.///

Now this is interesting assessment because Jesus would have been considered by others as a completely free and an independent thinker, and was considered a heretic in the eyes of the excepted orthodoxy of his day,(thats Why He was put to death) not only that we also see like exsamples through out history: Peter Waldo, The Swiss Brethren, George Fox and etc. all of whom would have been considered by the excepted orthodoxy of their time as independant in their judgment by believing what would have been considered the newest ideas.

RE///4. There is a wide-spread desire to appear kind, loving, and open-minded–many seem half-ashamed to say that anybody can be wrong or is a false teacher.///

Rather than accuse certain people of being false teachers with foggy undocumented biased Generalizations, We should bring facts to the table, and go from their. One only need to google 'Charles Finney' to understand that certain closed minded writers should not be half-ashamed but completely ashamed, justifying their bizzar slander as contending for the true faith.

RE ///5. There is always a portion of half-truth taught by modern false teachers–they are always using scriptural words and phrases, but with unscriptural meaning.///

The problem here is that false teachers often make the same claims with whomever they are opposed.
Those in error often times accuse those of the truth as twisting scripture.

RE///6. There is a public craving for a more sensational and entertaining worship–people are impatient with the more inward and invisible work of God within the hearts of men.///

the problem here is that J. C. Ryle died in ((1900)) of what and of whom is he implying this to ??

RE///7. There is a superficial readiness all around to believe anyone who talks cleverly, lovingly and earnestly, forgetting that Satan often masquerades himself as an angel of light (2 Cor. 11:14).///

This is similar #2, and as #2 serves as one of the better examples ,But In a world that worships at the alter of scolasticism one could have dificulty diserning between one with great orator skills and one who comes in demonstration of the Spirit and of power.

RE: ///8. There is a wide-spread ignorance among professing Christians–every heretic who speaks well is surely believed, and anyone who doubts him is called narrow-minded and unloving.
All these are especially symptoms of our times. I challenge any honest and observant person to deny them. These tend to make the assaults of false doctrine today especially dangerous and make it even more important to say loudly, “Do not be carried away with strange doctrine!”///

I honestly challenge these symptoms because all of the above will always be used to ((apply to them)) whoever them is ?? unfortunatly (them) is always, the ones with whom we disagree with.

I find very little in the artical that can be applied to strengthing our ability of discernment, when it comes to false teachers or false teachings.

The question I have is whom is J.C. Ryle (1816-1900)
alluding to ??

2013/2/3 16:59Profile

Re: Eight Symptoms of False Teaching – J.C. Ryle

This is an interesting article. Each of the point is directed. Firstly at how an “heretic” thinks or behaves (point 1 & 5) the other points (2,3,4,6,7 & 8) are attitudinal of the flock. Very clever! More of a warning to the flock than the heretic me thinks!

2013/2/3 18:43
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Papa, If nothing else this article demonstrates how a false teacher can worm his way into the minds of sincere people. They look genuine, act like it until temptation comes and they cave into vices common to unrepentant sinners.

My thoughts after reading your evaluation of this article.

God bless.

2013/2/3 19:29Profile
proudpapa

Re: ginnyrose

Hi ginnyrose

ginnyrose wrote ///Papa, If nothing else this article demonstrates how a false teacher can worm his way into the minds of sincere people. They look genuine, act like it until temptation comes and they cave into vices common to unrepentant sinners.

My thoughts after reading your evaluation of this article.

God bless.///

I suppose that you are correct.
their was nothing bad that I found with the artical, even though I am questioned of whom where those, he had in mind as he wrote the artical.

I just did not find any meat in the artical as far as distinguished qualities exclusive to false teachers or practical principles by which to test their beliefs or our own belifs to.

What I see is things that can always be pointed to as of (them) whomever them is ??

2013/2/3 19:43Profile
proudpapa

Re: amrkelly

hi amrkelly

amrkelly wrote
///This is an interesting article. Each of the point is directed. Firstly at how an “heretic” thinks or behaves (point 1 & 5) the other points (2,3,4,6,7 & 8) are attitudinal of the flock. Very clever! More of a warning to the flock than the heretic me thinks///

In light of what you and ginnyrose have wrote, I have read the artical several times over, I am somewhat seeing what you are saying "(2,3,4,6,7 & 8) are attitudinal of the flock." A flock that has been contaminated by false teaching, Ya I am understanding it now.

I was misunderstanding it as attributes exclusive of false teachers

Thanks guys

2013/2/3 19:57Profile
turn

USA

Re:

False prophets are a concept that is closely related to that of false teachers. Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount warned his followers about very hungry wolves dressed in the clothing of sheep:

"Beware of false prophets, for they come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly they are ravening wolves." (Matthew 7:15)

Another attribute of false prophets and false teachers is that they exploit people or use people for personal gain. The KJV phrase is that they "Make merchandise of you": (2 Peter 2:3)

"They eye your goods more than your good; and mind more the serving of themselves than the saving of your souls" - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680) in Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices

2013/2/3 20:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy