SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Destroy Satan’s Fortresses in Your Mind - Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Destroy Satan’s Fortresses in Your Mind - Zac Poonen

When David sees Goliath threatening Israel, notice his intense concern for the glory of God’s name and the honour of God’s people: “Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should taunt the armies of the living God?” (1 Sam 17:26). While the Israelites were all as unbelieving as their forefathers who had wandered for 40 years in the wilderness, David knew what God had done to the Canaanite giants through Joshua and Caleb. And so, he offered to go and fight Goliath.

When Saul laughed at David saying he was just a youth (David was probably about 17 years old now), David told Saul about some incidents in his private life, which he had never told anyone about before – not even his parents. He told Saul, “When I was tending my father’s flock, sometimes a lion or a bear would come and take a lamb from the flock. I would go after the wild animal, rescue the lamb from its mouth and kill the wild animal. I have killed both the lion and the bear.” (17:34-36). David had known what Samson did when the Spirit came upon him. So after Samuel had anointed him, David felt that God would help him too, just like God helped Samson. And God did.

How many shepherds in Israel would go after a lion just to save the life of a wee, tiny lamb? When God saw this care that David had for the littlest lamb in his flock, He decided that David was fit to shepherd Israel. When Satan gets hold of a weak brother, it is the shepherd’s duty to go after Satan in spiritual warfare and to rescue that brother from Satan’s grip. That’s the type of shepherd God is looking for today.

This story also teaches us that we have to slay the enemies in our private life first, before we can face Goliath publicly. If you have not overcome the lion and the bear in your private life, don’t imagine that God will call you to face Goliath in public. Many would like to have a public ministry that demolishes Satan’s fortresses. But they must start with destroying Satan’s fortresses in their own mind first. They must show a concern for God’s name and for the little lambs in private first.

Saul then told David to at least put on his (Saul’s) armour. That would offer some protection against Goliath. Was David to trust in Saul’s armour or in God? Finally David took it all off and went forth trusting in God alone. He told Goliath, “You have come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord” (v.45). Thus he killed Goliath with a single stone and used Goliath’s own sword to chop off his head.

This is how we are to go against Satan today. And God uses Satan’s own weapons (Goliath’s own sword) to destroy him. “Through death, He destroyed him who had the power of death” (Heb.2:14). Once Goliath was killed, the other Philistines ran away (1 Sam.17:51). This teaches us that once we kill the giant sin in our life (“the sin that so easily entangles us” – Heb.12:1), we will find that many other sins in our lives are conquered too.

2013/2/1 15:45Profile
ArthurRosh

Re: Destroy Satan’s Fortresses in Your Mind - Zac Poonen

Brother Zac touched on some similar truths in one of his sermons. Here is some notes from that sermon that serve as follow up to this great article:

Our Lord's humility was seen in secret obedience to the Father in areas which we know nothing about, which are not even written in Scripture.

If you seek the Holy Spirit's light, the Lord will show you the areas in your life where you need to follow Jesus in secret obedience and then He will back you up publicly

Seek to live like that brothers and sisters. It will liberate you from the constant temptation to seek honor and approval from men for our holiness, our humility or getting a reputation for something or the other before men.

It will liberate you to truly serve the Lord.

Secret obedience before God in little things that others know nothing about, secret sacrifices that you made in private that others know nothing about. That alone is the proof of your humility.

And people will think you are a proud arrogant person because you whipped the money changers out of the temple--let them think what they like.

People can think you are an arrogant person because you speak about serpents and generations of vipers that will go to hell. Let them think what they like.

Isn't it enough that God thinks I'm humble?

Live before God's face and you will not seek the honor of men.

He humbled himself by becoming obedient.
Philippians 2:8

The origin of sin in the universe:

Isaiah 14:12-14
"How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High."

There is something that should strike us immediately!

It is the origin of sin.

What is it?

I will

I will

I will

I will

I will

5 times!

I will

A created being has the audacity and the arrogance to say "I will"

I will do what I want to do

That is Satan: "I will"

Jesus is the opposite:

John 6:38
I have come not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me.

Jesus: "Not to do my own will"

The opposite of Satan "I will."

"Not my will" not 5 times but a million times

In His 33 and a half years He never did His own will "but the will of Him Who sent me."

This is the meaning of the cross.

If you want to understand what it means to take up your cross everyday, here it is.

"Not my will but Your will be done."

The cross is where my will (horizontal) and God's will (vertical) cross.

I have to die to my will every single time.

That is how Jesus brought salvation.

It isn't easy.

We know how in the garden of Gethsemane Jesus struggled to give up His own will.

Jesus had to struggle to give up His own will just like we have to struggle to give up our own will every time.

Do you think it was easy for Jesus?

Do you think it will be easy for us?

Jesus didn't have a sinful flesh like we have inherited from Adam because He didn't have a human father.

But He did have a thing called "my own will."

Hebrews 4:15
Jesus in every way was tempted as we are, yet without sin.

Jesus said no to the temptation of choosing His own will every single time

He chose the Father's will every single time

And if it meant a struggle, ok it will be a struggle, but I'm still going to do the Father's will.

There is no spirituality without the cross

The one in this room who is taking up the cross most faithfully, a hundred times a day, every opportunity, is the most spiritual person in this room whether he can preach or not whether she can preach or not, whether or not others think he or she is spiritual or not.

That is the person who will have continuous victory over sin because that is the person God will give grace

The church is built by crucified people who walk the way of the cross.

Unbelievers are being blinded to the truth of Jesus dying on the cross

Believers are being blinded to the truth of their dying daily by the cross

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live.
Galatians 2:20

It is no longer "I will."

When you go to the graves and see, does anyone there do their own will?

He was stubborn as long as he was alive, she was stubborn, but not now. She's dead, she doesn't live, he doesn't live.

This is why the truth of submission is stressed so much in Scripture.

The secret of it all: obedience in the secret place, in the areas of our life, when nobody knows anything but God.

In my thoughts

In my attitudes towards people
(esteeming others more important than myself)

In my motives

If you guard your thoughts like you guard your actions and words in public you will be a godly person.

But if you are careless in your thoughts and careful in public you are a person who lives before the faces of men. You do not fear God. You want a reputation before men and not before God. You love people more than God.

Is it possible?

It was not possible under the old covenant.

It is a wonderful new covenant truth and privilege.

We can walk as Jesus walked

2013/2/1 22:09Profile
ArthurRosh

Re:

My friend, the choices that you make,
The many things you do
Decisions, though they may seem small,
End up defining you.

The books you read, the things you buy,
The places that you go
You face decisions every day;
You answer "yes" or "no."