SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Praying for Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

Praying for Revival

One thing that is key to seeking God Almighty for a revival in our day is not copying the standards that men and women of past generations have set. For example, the Lord told John Hyde (also known as "Praying Hyde") that every hour he'd pray a soul would be saved. It began to happen. So every he prayed 4 hours a day the whole year and saw more than a thousand come to Christ. However, that doesn't mean God is telling us to do the exact same thing. John Wesley told those who came with him for ministry travels that they MUST have in their knapsack for their journeys many books to read. He wanted his men to sharpen their minds. Yet there was also Smith Wigglesworth who only read the Bible and nothing else. I believe George Mueller only read the Word and nothing else. Jonathan Edwards was an incredibly educated men, even known among the secular world. And we know that he was an incredible man of God. Yet Evan Roberts never went to school for ministry and we know through his life that he was mightily used of God.

With these examples, the emphasis I am trying to make is we must ask God what He expects from US. We must know with a firm conviction the covenant love that He has for us INDIVIDUALLY. Only then can we expect an outpouring. We need that personal revelation of Jesus to the soul. Many are crying out for revival, trying to copy the methods of past revivals and churches, but God always does a new thing with each generation. Obeying truth remains to the end, but standards for some may differ. We must remember that intimacy with Christ is key. We must know His voice and walk in the Spirit. It is in that place we can pray Holy Spirit birthed prayers for an outpouring, knowing God's heart and mind.

2005/3/7 17:54Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Praying for Revival

Right on! I really hope and pray that this post encourages everyone out there! I'm of one heart and mind with you!

I recently read a book titled "Consuming Fire" by Brian Brodersen because Greg just read it and was so encouraged by it. It had such an impact on him, he's now involved with a revial prayer meeting on the Calvary Chapel Bible College campus. So I personally wanted to check out what got him all fired up.

I've been scanning the daily topics on the forum, patiently waiting for the appropriate time to share. And here, once again a topic of revival has been started. And so hopefully the things that spoke to me will encourage the heart that you started this topic with and anyone else who may come across this topic.

[i]"A personal revival will take place in any man and woman who says, 'Jesus, be Lord of all'... Revival will come for us individually if we seek Him. And inevitably, if it comes for us individually, it's going to touch others."

[2 Chronicles 7:14] "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."[/i]

It is true, if we seek to be merely copies of the work of God in other men and women, I think that instead of reflecting the image of God, we will end up reflecting the image of other men and women. We ourselves, personally need to be the mirror of God, of Christ Jesus. We do need to have our own experiences with God as we each seek Him, spend time with Him, give ourselves to Him and say, "Mold me into a vessel that can be used for YOUR glory."

[laughs] Okay, sorry... I'm getting a bit passionate. I'm just so excited to read your heart on here. I'm encouraged. I see prayers being answered. God has a great plan! May we put ourselves in a spiritual place to be a part of it!

2005/3/7 20:20Profile

Re:

I agree with both of you. Praise God! He uses all kinds of people with all kinds of abilities and talents - some with 'apparently' no abilities or talents. We often get caught up in method and form - for example, we have tried to borrow some of the neat new worship styles that came out of the Pentecostal movement - often we lose sight of the heart of the revival that started the movement (Azusa street).

I do however believe there are common ingredients/elements. I'm an avid reader of books on revival and biographies of the men of faith. I have found common elements.

I would say personal revival always involves these elements...

a. brokenness - we get to a place where we see ourselves for who we really are...sinners deserving of eternal punishment. We know longer trust ourselves or our ability to do good. Out of this brokenness comes true humility - no pretending needed. We begin to see how evil and corrupt we truly are and we realize that any good must come from God.

b. absolute surrender - we give up everything (not most things) to God. All our wants, desires, pleasures become subject to God. God is now TRULY steering the ship. I might have said so before but now I let him...and i don't hold anything back.

c. desperation/hunger - a desire to know God that cannot be quenched. this is the kind of desire and desperation that has kept so many men up all through the night - that caused the early participants in the Azusa street revival to pray for hours at a time. NOTHING will keep us from God. We don't just want to know God - we're willing to pay the price to know Him. We don't just want revival - we're willing to pay the price to have revival first in our lives and then in our community.

d. prayer - there is no secret formula here...4 hours every morning won't magically do it. But, there is no question that "TIME is essential to the value of the prayer. Much time spent with God is the secret of all successful praying" (EM Bounds - Power Through Prayer). We're not going to get revival in our own lives if we don't set aside serious time for prayer. Leonard Ravenhill used to say that pastors who didn't pray at LEAST 2 hours a day are a dime a dozen (I may not have quoted that perfectly but the essence is there). Much TIME spent with God is essential for revival in our own lives and if we are seeking revival in our communities.

These are just 4 ingredients that I believe are present in every revival (this is not a comprehensive list of course). I'm not ignoring the role of the Holy Spirit - but these are conditions that I believe (from my reading and prayer) are necessary for any revival. Every revival is different and the people involved are different. I think that is so exciting - we don't have to have the things that the world values - God can use ANYONE who will meet his conditions.

I like how CT Studd summed it up. He asked, "What are the conditions? They are ever the same, 'Sell out!' God's price is one. There is no discount. He gives ALL to such as give ALL. ALL! ALL! ALL! Death to ALL the world, to ALL the flesh, to the devil, and to perhaps the worst enemy of all - YOURSELF."

I say amen to that...that I believe sums up the conditions i have listed. Yes revival is different but God always looks for those who will give ALL.

Sorry for being so long winded - I have a one tracked mind...I want revival!! But more important - am I willing to pay the price? :-(

2005/3/8 0:54
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re:

Man... awesome! I loved [i]all[/i] your points! Oh man, I'm so [i]excited[/i] about the biographies and other books I recently bought from www.christianbook.com! I also have the complete works of E.M. Bounds on prayer that I can't wait to read! Your post reminded me. :-)

Concerning time spent with God, I know I want to be like Moses, going up the mountain, away from the masses of people, to bask in the presence of the Lord. And then when I return to the crowd of people, I want the evidence to be shining so brightly from my face that I've just spent time with my God! I want to be what I was created for from the very beginning, to be a reflection of the image of God, be patterened after Him and enjoy a close walk with Him.

[b]"My heart has heard You say, "Come and talk with Me."
And my heart responds, "LORD, I am coming."[/b]
(Psalm 27:8)

[b]"I will praise the LORD at all times.
I will constantly speak His praises.
I will boast only in the LORD;
let all who are discouraged [i]take heart[/i].
Come, let us tell of the LORD's greatness;
let us exalt His name together.

I prayed to the LORD, and He answered me,
freeing me from [i]all[/i] my fears.
Those who look to Him for help will be radiant with joy;
no shadow of shame will darken their faces."[/b]
(Psalm 34:1-5)

[b]"Be not content with an interview now and then, but seek always to retain His company, for only in His presence hast thou either comfort or safety. Jesus should not be unto us a friend who calls upon us now and then, but one with whom we walk evermore."[/b]
C.H. Spurgeon

2005/3/9 14:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy