SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Witnessing to Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Witnessing to Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash

One of my favorite things to do on my days off is to go down to the Lake Charles Civic Center to get some exercise by walking along the boardwalk by the lake. I believe that I am being very scriptural, because the Word says to "watch and pray", so as I walk I watch the ducks, the fishermen pulling in some trophy fish at times, and I enjoy praying and meditating on the Word.

The Lord has opened up many opportunities for me to witness with people that are down and out, and to pray with those that have needs. It is not that I am trying to make anything happen, but the Holy Spirit will put people across our path that have been rejected by most of society, and looked at as those that are reaping what they have sown. The blood of Jesus has still never lost it's power, and no one is beyond the reach of the mercy and grace of God to be saved and delivered from the power of sin.

There are homeless men that sometimes sleep at the Civic Center, and in the woods just north of Lakeshore Drive. Several months ago I met a homeless man named Willie that everyone calls "Willie Nelson". As I began to talk with him, I was amazed at some of the stories that he told me about living in the woods for the last 5 or 6 years and actually setting up a tent city where there was at one time between 50 and 100 hundred homeless people living out there. Willie actually found some work and raised enough money to buy tents at Wal Mart which he set up in the woods. There was even a story on KPLC in which Willie was interviewed and talked about tent city. Most of the homeless at "tent city" were peaceful, but there were a few that got in trouble with the law and the railroad, so "tent city" was shut down. However, Willie was allowed to stay out there in the woods. There is one man that stays with Willie, and he helps this man out as much as he can. Willie told me that he has a lot of friends that visit him at night in the tent, including coons, rabbits, and even a wild cat crept into the tent one night.

One of the homeless men that I often see in the area around the Civic Center is always dressed in black and carries a guitar on his back. The other homeless men call him "Johnny Cash". He stays at a cheap motel on Lakeshore Drive and gets a free room by doing various chores around the place. Today as I was at the Civic Center, I noticed Johnny digging in some trash cans, and it was obvious that he was looking for something to eat. I talked to him for awhile and then went to Krogers and picked up some canned meat, sardines, tuna, and bread that would last him for a few days.

Most people believe that any homeless man that asks you for some money to get something to eat will use it to fuel their alcohol addiction, but many times this is not the case. Those that are really hungry will be very grateful that you have brought them some food to eat.

The reason why I am writing this is to ask you to be praying about this situation with these homeless men. There are only two shelters in Lake Charles for homeless men, that being the "Salvation Army, and "The Lord's Place." However at the Salvation Army there is only a few days that the men are allowed to stay there, and at the Lord's place the men have to be able to hold down a job in which part of their paycheck goes to that ministry. There used to be two other ministries in town that had shelters for the homeless, but they have both shut down. One of the ministries was at an old church on Ford Street that was run by "Brother Jack". This man was well known, and there were even men from other states that knew about the hospitality of this man of God.

The Lord desires that these men would be saved, delivered, and healed in their total man. Please pray that the Lord would send workers in this mission field. Pray for these men to be saved, delivered, and set free.

Mike

2013/1/23 17:24Profile

Re: Witnessing to Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash

God love you Mike, as i do as well.......homeless ministry is a wonderful ministry, i will be praying that Willie and Johnny come into the Arms of Jesus......i'm sure you know that Teen Challenge is a truly great place for men and women to reset their lives on the Rock of Ages, the Foundation of Life in Christ.

oh yes, i will be praying for these two men......and you as well, in Jesus; love, neil

2013/1/23 17:48
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Witnessing to Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash

QUOTE:

Is God sending you?

2013/1/24 7:35Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Is God sending you?

Ginny,

You are the third person that has told me that maybe God wants me to start some kind of a homeless ministry. To tell you the truth, I already am involved in two other ministries, and I would have to know it is God to start anything else. May God's will be done. Thank you for your prayers.

Mike

2013/1/24 8:11Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy