SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Regarding "Editing"

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Regarding "Editing"

Please, if anyone is going to edit their post/reply after the fact it would be a good idea to state so and would encouarge leaving in the unedited part with a correction;

Something on the order of:

"Edit:"

And then explaining or correcting, making an apology or what have you. The reason being that often times there is a time lapse and many readers have come and gone, returned later and find that the subsequent replies no longer make any sense.

2005/3/6 13:32Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Regarding "Editing"

You know what Mike, I believe in once posted, always posted. :-)

2005/3/6 13:37Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Editing and the "Subject" line

I agree!

But...
The function is there so...

And as ZekeO stated you can leave them be, could always respond again in another reply and in fact would encourage it. Most are pretty good at clarifying things and it would be refreshing to see more apologies and forgiveness...

By the way, fixing spelling errors doesn't count :-)

While we are at it, something else that would be helpful for all and can't recall if it was brought up...

Making use of the "Subject" line, especially in responding. When doing a search here there is always a preponderance of "Re:s". If we could all try and remember to put either the same original "Subject" line after the "Re:" or at least if the thread is changing course, something related, it would go a long way in making the site more useful to everyone.

Thanks!

2005/3/6 14:12Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Poster doublemindedness

Quote:

Most are pretty good at clarifying things and it would be refreshing to see more apologies and forgiveness...

That is where I was coming from, if you can't stand by something that you have had time to type and proofread, then, well...I don't know

Quote:

Making use of the "Subject" line,

Trying to keep things related to the thread is very hard, I love coming up with Newspaper headlines it is very much part of the fun. But I'll try, just have to be more creative thats all. :-D

2005/3/6 14:40Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Editing and more

I am never going to get off this thing...

If I could create a "confusion checker" boy could that create some funding...

Quote:
That is where I was coming from, if you can't stand by something that you have had time to type and proofread, then, well...I don't know

Ah, but how can one be taught then?
Which was my point.... :-P
Quote:
Trying to keep things related to the thread is very hard, I love coming up with Newspaper headlines it is very much part of the fun. But I'll try, just have to be more creative thats all.

And I love that too ZekeO! Let me re-phrase that...

Put something in there!

Recalling now something about [i]jousting with toothpicks[/i]... :-)

2005/3/6 14:51Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath

Boys flying kites haul in their white winged birds;
You can't do that way when you're flying words.
"Careful with fire," is good advice we know
"Careful with words," is ten times doubly so.
Thoughts unexpressed may sometimes fall back dead;
But God Himself can't kill them when they're said.Will Carleton, The First Settler's Story

My old Bible College Principal used to often quote this...

2005/3/6 15:55Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Please, if anyone is going to edit their post/reply after the fact it would be a good idea to state so and would encouarge leaving in the unedited part with a correction

I personally believe that once something is posted it should stay like that. I understand that there should be small edits and spellchecks afterwards but if a person really wants to edit the post and add more I suggest the way Mike said to do it is simply to add this below your message:

---

EDIT: Here is the addition you want to add to your post, etc...

2005/3/6 17:27Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Words and records thereof

Great quote Ron!

It is one of the stranger things about this medium, kind of a running commentary, participants coming in and out... The one benefit is that little room for backtracking on what we say, it's on record!

Kind of scarry to think that the Lord has a even more precise one, including every [i]idle[/i] word... More scarry is if we are in need of having to be concerned about it.

2005/3/6 18:04Profile
Manfred

Continental Europe

Re: Editing

Just for everyone's information, I have edited all the T. Austin-Sparks messages I put on SI.

Nothing major though, just some italics, and bold text for a better presentation.

Manfred

2005/4/26 15:01Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy