Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Missing: Humility

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Missing: Humility

Elsewhere was postulating this thought:

[i]A stubborn refusal to give up our rights to ourselves, to our thoughts, to our pride, to 'our opinions.'[/i]

Not to say that we ought not to have them only that we might remember that they are just that, opinions, and that we ought to hold them loosely... Which of course is just [i]'my opinion'[/i] :-(

Ecc 2:17 Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and [b]vexation of spirit.[/b]

The 'therefore' prior:

Ecc 2:15 Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity.
Ecc 2:16 For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool.

Don't want to make a 'statement', maybe just am asking questions, but something keeps rearing it's ugly head in our midst:

[b]A Great Impostor[/b]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve been thinking about a great impostor—one so clever that he deceived even the devil himself.

This master of illusion has turned angels into demons, kings into animals, pastors into predators, and sheep into wolves.

While the elusive deceiver is not a person, it overcomes that problem by borrowing personality from its victims. With no shame, it clothes itself in the thoughts, emotions, and wills of those whose trust it betrays.

What I find troubling is that without realizing it I’ve walked, laughed, and cried with this impostor. I’m learning that he is no fool. He flatters us. He defers to us. He encourages us to develop an exaggerated opinion of our own importance, while at the same time letting us think negative and self-destructive thoughts about ourselves. ~ MART DE HAAN

(The rest of this can be found here:

[url=http://www.gospelcom.net/rbc/td/02-2005/]A Great Impostor[/url] )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taken from a section posted by Rahman [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2639&forum=35&15]Is America a Christian Nation??[/url] Are these frightening words:

[i]My own mind is my own church[/i]
Tom Paine

Just throwing this all out there to see if there is any correlation to what keeps on returning to this thought:

Luk 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of.

There is still barbs and insinuations being tossed about [i]against[/i] the brethren.
Think there very well may be cases of misunderstanding and if so, ought we not to be forthright enough to admit it? To ourselves and to each other, leaving the former undone.

Yes, again it is generalities. There are far too many threads going at any given time to start addressing every instance nor do I feel particularly offended personally or that doing so would produce any fruit... What is grievous is what seems to be lacking, humility.

It cuts across a great number of topics here. From the 'Anger of God' to the issues of the church and practically everything in between.

Both 1 & 2 Corinthians seem to be attempting to reign large in my thinking, the essence Paul was trying to get across.

1Co 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
1Co 1:11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2Co 1:12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.
2Co 1:13 For we write none other things unto you, than what ye read or acknowledge; and I trust ye shall acknowledge even to the end;
2Co 1:14 As also ye have acknowledged us in part, that we are your rejoicing, even as ye also are ours in the day of the Lord Jesus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't think that we are so tender footed that we can't take strong words or even give them when necessary. That's not the point, if it was so, we would lose a large body of resources here from the likes of Tozer and Ravenhill who didn't mince words.

So I guess what I am asking is, are we missing humility? Are we know for what the Lord asked, make that commanded:

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Gal 5:13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2Co 2:4 For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just asking that we all examine ourselves, our words, our intentions. A recent post showed a breakdown [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4720&forum=16&4]Access by Country (January 2005)[/url] that is both amazing and sobering in light of;

Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

The world is watching.

2005/3/6 11:36Profile

Re: Missing: Humility

amen....yes. Vey sobering to look at the "go-to" country list. I think you should hit on that again and again.

2005/3/6 12:15

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy