SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : White House: Texas must remain part of the US

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
proudpapa

White House: Texas must remain part of the US

EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Bad news for thousands of people who wanted to see Texas secede: The state is still in the U.S.

The White House has responded to a petition asking that Texas be allowed to break away from the country, saying the Founding Fathers who created the nation "did not provide a right to walk away from it."

More than 125,000 people signed the petition, which was created a few days after President Barack Obama won re-election. The White House has promised to respond to any petition that gets more than 25,000 signatures within 30 days.

Jon Carson, director of the White House Office of Public Engagement, issued a response quoting Abraham Lincoln's first inaugural address and a Supreme Court opinion after the Civil War. It said America was created as a "perpetual union," but one that allows people with different beliefs to debate the issues.

"Democracy can be noisy and controversial," Carson said. "Free and open debate is what makes this country work. ... But as much as we value a healthy debate, we don't let that debate tear us apart."

The petition was created by Micah Hurd, a Texas National Guardsman and an engineering student at the University of Texas in Arlington. He couldn't be reached for comment Monday.

In asking that Texas be allowed to leave the country, the petition cited the "economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending." It argued that given the size of Texas' economy and because the state has a balanced budget, it would be "practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union."

The petition also said the federal government didn't share the same values held by the Founding Fathers.

But Carson argued that the writers of the U.S. Constitution addressed the need for policy change through elections, not secession.

The petition's success brought overnight fame for Hurd, though briefly got him in trouble. In December, a regiment commander at the Texas National Guard sent an email to his subordinates, including Hurd, saying "any mention of secession better happen on a civilian venue."

"It's only talk, and rather ignorant talk at that," the commander wrote. "If you've already done something to call attention to yourself or our regiment in this matter, make it go away."

But a few days later, a National Guard spokeswoman said Hurd had done nothing wrong and that "the email asking him not to talk about it" shouldn't have been sent.

A telephone listing for Hurd couldn't be found Monday by The Associated Press. His father, who has spoken on behalf of his son in the past, didn't immediately return a phone message.

http://news.yahoo.com/white-house-texas-must-remain-part-us-212720777.html

2013/1/15 18:20Profile

Re: White House: Texas must remain part of the US

Papa I appreciate your posts when you speak of the history of tbe Anabaptists. But why are you starting these post on tbe Civil War and seccession. Certainly the Anabaptist realized their hope was in a spiritual kingdom ruled by Jesus that was not of this world

By tbe way I grew up in Louisiana. There are a few down there who still believe in tbe Glorious Cause. You know. The Civil War. But having taken a degree in history from a southern university.(LSU , I saw the Civil War as a bloody war where 500,000 Americans were killed on both sides.

Brother please stick to tbe Anabaptist. Their history is far more rewarding the seccession from tbe union.

Bearmaster.

2013/1/15 19:40
proudpapa

Re: bearmaster

Hi bearmaster

bearmaster wrote ///Papa I appreciate your posts when you speak of the history of tbe Anabaptists. But why are you starting these post on tbe Civil War and seccession///

brother bear this artical was not about the Civil War it is a Current Event, the only relation to it and the Civil War is the desire for a States seccession and the White Houses response of quoting Lincoln and the supreme courts decisiones after the Civl War.

brother bear wrote ///By tbe way I grew up in Louisiana. There are a few down there who still believe in tbe Glorious Cause. You know. The Civil War. But having taken a degree in history from a southern university.(LSU , I saw the Civil War as a bloody war where 500,000 Americans were killed on both sides.///

I agree, I think many have misunderstood my position, I do not believe that the Civil War was a just war, I believe it should have never happened but somehow by me saying that, people automaticaly sterotype me completly as a slave promoting racist which is completly untrue.

I personaly would like to see some States peacefuly be allowed to succeed from the fedral government as our government is becoming more and more hostile toward Christianity, so that we could as what William Penn and other Anabaptist groups where able to refuge to Pennsylvania we also would have a place to refuge,
Which I realize that we have an inward refuge in the secret place of the most High but all through history and even in the Bible, Godly Men seek refuge for themselves and there families safe from persecution except when personaly lead by the Holy Spirit to do otherwise.

brother bear wrote ///Brother please stick to tbe Anabaptist. Their history is far more rewarding the seccession from tbe union.///

this is true

2013/1/15 20:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

papa wrote:

"people automatically stereotype me completely as a slave promoting racist which is completely untrue."

I am a transplanted Yankee or so the locals would call me. They are right in that I was born and raised up north and not the south.

I just want to let you know I understand where you are coming from when you make these statements about the war between the states. Most people are really ignorant about this part of USA's history. And I know what is is like to be labeled a racist if you are from the south. Northerners believe you know nothing about race relationships because I happen to live in the south. So I am called a racist - even experienced it here on SI.

About the issue of Texas seceding from the Union - if I recall this news item, there were people from most the states that signed such a petition! I considered it laughable when I heard they were going to present it to the president - if they think he would say, "sure, just go ahead", they must have had their head sunk in the sand!

Oh, well, this has nothing to do with revival or our walk with the LORD but there are a lot of strange things out there that compete for our attention.

2013/1/17 22:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy