Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Superficial friendships

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Zionshield

Ohio

Re: Superficial friendships

I longed for years to have real relationships in the church. Finally the Lord has moved me to a place and a church where I am building these relationships. I had some growing to do. Like most other things we're waiting for WE have to change in order for the Lord to trust us with something He wants to give us...especially precious comrades in this great war.

Unhealed emotional issues only amplify the slightest thing in relating to people causing hurt feelings and perceived rejection where there is none. This alone is proof of our self life. We are too sensitive to wrongs (real or not) done to us. We are orbiting around self and are always thinking of how people treat us rather than thinking about how we can love and serve others.

I know it well, because I've lived it for years. No longer. It's on me to be in the church Christ calls me to and to love the people there regardless of what they are. I can be an example of transparency and can reach out to others and stop waiting on someone to love me.

2013/1/9 0:08Profile

"The corporate genius of God" John 17

Amen Zionshield.

Just listened to this message. When believers come into this quality of life together, putting one another before self, then the Church will become the "Corporate genius of God" as Art Katz says in this message:

http://media.sermonindex.net/12/SID12305.mp3

2013/1/9 11:31
SkepticGuy

Re:

Quote:
Hi, I have not read some of these long posts, but did read yours and I can relate to your experiences. I want to give you some practical advice:

join a small group within the church such as a bible study, home fellowship, etc. Maybe a mens group. Volunteer to help out in some capacity, then you will rub shoulders with some others and really get to know them. Go to the pastor or a leader of the church, express your need to help,say what your interests are, and see if he can plug you in.

I only got to know people by these methods. People generally do not start up conversations easily in church, or after church. They have people they need to talk to that they see once a week, then they leave. This is our culture that we live in.

I even went to a pastor one time when I was new, and asked him to introduce me to some other single people my age that I could fellowship with. He did just that, and I clicked with one of the women, and we became friends.

Try any of these, and see what happens!

i have a number of christian friends, i dont lack for that. i have friends thru different ministries and organizations and missionary groups that i am active in. i just rarely have people that i would consider true "friends" in the churches i have belonged to. strange to me. its like 'i'm here for the preaching, but when i want real fellowship i go outside the fellowship'.

2013/1/9 11:33Profile
washad

arkansas

Re:

A good friend is like a virtuous woman. Not only are they valuable but they are rare. I would be surprised to find a friend in every church. I feel that we must distinguish between friendship and fellowship. We can and should fellowship with any brother or sister who loves our Lord supremely simply because we are both in Christ. John tells us that we know that we have passed from death unto life because we love the brethren. While friendship is based on love is not based on friendship. I love those lost around me and weep for their condition. I love my family who I seldom see. However I have few non Christian friends though there are many acquaintances with time spent in discussion on topics spiritual and not. I relish the time with certain family but even so I would not call them friends. Similarly fellowship is for all of God's people but friendship is reserved for a few. This is not to promote cliques and the like but is a fact that there are those who you just bond with. Even Jesus took Peter, James, and John as a kind of "inner circle". True friendship like love takes time to cultivate. So not to experience a great outpouring of welcome does not mean that it is not there. Just as a warm welcome can quickly become cold in certain places. Seek out fellowship and allow friendship to develop on its own.

2013/1/10 23:10Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, as you cannot control how others behave , it is all on you to be the friend of others and letting them relate to you however they relate and loving them without response. that is what being a christian demonstrates.jimp

2013/1/11 3:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy