2005/3/4 9:34Profile

Re: A good website for people in secular music

Interesting... nothing new.

Krispy

2005/3/4 11:43
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Nothing new indeed

Problem with this in my opinion is that it loses credulity by slanting things to their view point. Read through a bit of it and being very much involved practically my whole life with much in the area of heavy metal and R'n'R they are making an awful lot of presuppositons about what they don't real know about.

One of the more clever things about bagging all this into the label of "satanic" is that it can foster the misconception that for one 'they' are above it all and secondly that there is probably more 'satanic' activity going on by minipulating the minds into an easy believism, all being promoted under the guise of CCM...

Wasn't one of the devils best stunt's to misquote scripture?

2005/3/4 15:59Profile

Re:

I have found that it doesnt take an incredible amount of spiritual discerment for believers to see problems with most secular music. I dont see the need for over sensationalizing the satanic stuff. If a believer cant understand why they shouldnt listen to Black Sabbath... well, back to Sunday School with them... do not pass go, do not collect $200.

I will admit, the hardest band for me to give up when I got saved... was Lynyrd Skynyrd. Not all their songs are bad, but I knew very well that songs like Whiskey Rock-n-Roller & Gimme Back My Bullets were not exactly Christ-honoring songs. I just loved feeding my flesh. No one had to tell me it was wrong... the Holy Spirit did that.

Krispy

2005/3/4 16:21
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Skynyrd

"Concrete all surrounding me
Many nights I slept out in the street..."

Still brings tears brother...

2005/3/4 17:16Profile
InigoMontoya

Michigan

Re:

Mike, what particularly did you feel was slanted?

2005/3/4 20:42Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Borrowing from...

Hi IM,

Quote:
I dont see the need for over sensationalizing the satanic stuff

Would say that Krispy's words suffice.

Wrote a very longish reply and shelved it, it would only serve to get more bogged down into more misunderstanding.

It's the omission's that are bothersome. Any kid who reads through these things is not going to be fooled by the overemphasis, nor the out of context snippets from often times very old articles. These kids know their bands and will see the duplicity.

Guess I have kind of boxed myself into a corner here. Two quick examples. Geezer Butler of Sabbath fame most certainly did dabble in the occult, but what they failed to mention was how freaked out he got when strange things started happening because of it. My recollection was that he got rid of the stuff he was reading. Another was on Creed, here's the missing part:[url=http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/interviews/2004/scottstapp-0804.html] Sapp: I am a Christian[/url]

It doesn't matter what it is, as soon as you start bending things to buttress a point it's dishonest and overshadows any truth you might be trying to convey. As far as I am concerned the credibility goes out the window.

2005/3/5 7:36Profile
InigoMontoya

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
It doesn't matter what it is, as soon as you start bending things to buttress a point it's dishonest and overshadows any truth you might be trying to convey. As far as I am concerned the credibility goes out the window.

I completely agree with you there. If I recall correctly they do point out in the documentary how Geezer became freaked out by the occult and abandoned it. It has been some time since I've watched it though. May I ask if it was the documentary or articles on their site that you've stated had quotes taken out of context?

2005/3/5 10:08Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Regretting this

Hey brother,

There is a sense of regretting this already; "Why couldn't you just leave well enough alone?" I told myself...

To answer the question it was in the articles.

The point I was trying to make and (failing mightly at) is that there is some reading between the lines. Most of these bands don't even know what they are getting into, meaning, it's the thrill of the theatrics, the 'scare your parent's' mentality. The vast majority don't take this stuff all that seriously. There just kids acting out... sigh. My regret is in why did I need to bring this up now? My mind and heart are elsewhere, primarily on my family as the Lord seems to be touching us all with a blessed sense of humility, it's where more focus needs to be.

So I apologize for my poor timing of this, maybe another time would be better, maybe someone else can take it from here, maybe it will just fade off into other things.

Maybe this recent conversion might be more helpful, it's pretty raw and short, but I have much hope for the brother, came out of similar surroundings:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4696&forum=48#32263]Rocker forsakes band to follow Christ[/url]

You can listen to his testimony here;

[url=http://www.headtochrist.com/]http://www.headtochrist.com/[/url]

2005/3/5 11:25Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy