SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is the power of God?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

What is the power of God?

On the heels of the Steve Hill post the above question came to my mind. What exactly is the power of God and how do I know it?

To me power is an action word. It means to get something done or to feel something but it is an action verb to me.

When I hear sermons no matter how alive they sound or how dry they sound are they the power of God if there is no action or power in them?

One item I wrestle with is that God's ways are not our ways and I find in scripture that even if a preacher seems to preach a message out of a wrong heart that seed can fall on good ground and grow. Yet that is an action and the Power of God despite how perplexing it is to the human mind. I believe the Book of Timothy speaks to this as well.

But, when it comes to the church how do we know the Power of God is there? How do we not it isn't an emotional rush or just a happenstance of circumstances? I agree that God does not display His power in order to boast but he Does show His Power in order that those who do not believe might believe and those who believe trust Him more. Yet, so much of what I see in testimonies can so easily be a happenstance of circumstances rather than the actual Power of God.

How am I to discern the Power of God? Even if I renew my mind according to His Will it doesn't necessarily mean I discern it especially if I believe people who say 'God did this for me' when what I hear is a circumstantial work that doesn't seem supernatural. Again, I go back to the action verb. Is God not an Action Verb Being?

What are your thoughts? I want the scales lifted from my eyes and yet I often believe that many testimonies I hear keep them on. Is this a spiritual attack that causes this?

John

2012/12/13 8:53Profile

Re: What is the power of God?

Of the Pharisees

But Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. Matthew 22:29

Of the Disciples

And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There are some here of them that stand by, who shall in no wise taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God come with power. Mark 9:1

Of Israel

O God, thou art terrible out of thy holy places: The God of Israel, he giveth strength and power unto his people. Blessed be God. Psalm 68:35

Of the Firmament

Praise ye Jehovah. Praise God in his sanctuary: Praise him in the firmament of his power. Psalm 150:1

Of king Nebuchadnezzar

Thou, O king, art king of kings, unto whom the God of heaven hath given the kingdom, the power, and the strength, and the glory; and wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the birds of the heavens hath he given into thy hand, and hath made thee to rule over them all: thou art the head of gold. Daniel 37:-38

Of Mary

And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Most High shall overshadow thee: wherefore also the holy thing which is begotten shall be called the Son of God. Luke 1:35

Of the Word of God

For no word from God shall be void of power. Luke 1:37

Of Jesus the Christ

even Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed him with the Holy Spirit and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. Acts 10:38

The power of God dear brother is God Himself, Father Son and Holy Spirit. Whether given to a man or all men. The power of God is God. It is His very nature and by it He upholds and sustains all things in heaven, on the earth and under the earth. Nothing is beside Him. He alone is the most High. He alone is mighty God. The everlasting unto everlasting. He is Israel, to the nations and all men. In Him we live and move and have our being. Without Him we have nothing. By His mercy and goodness He keeps us and by His great compassion He upholds us. Who is like unto Him? There is none like unto Him! He laid out the scroll of the universe by His own Name. And by His own Name the heavens and the earth shall flee from His presence. His Name is Holy, Righteous and Good. He alone is the Lord.

Hear thee oh Israel the Lord your God is One. Take no other god unto thyself.

Worship Him alone and you will know Him and all His ways. His power will be in you and you will know that He is the Living God. A refuge and a cleft in the Rock. By Him you will see Him. By Him you will know His power working in you. Christ in you the power of God unto salvation.

2012/12/13 9:41
Sree

Gospel is the power of God (Romans 1:16). Jesus defeated Death when God the father raised him from the dead by his power. This same power god is also willing to pour into our life to raise it from the dead state of sin to the life of Christ.

2 Peter 1 -2:-
Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine POWER has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness

A true new covenant testimony will be about victory over sin by the power of God. All other testimonies regarding healing are more like praise report, healing was present even in old covenant. But true overcoming life is possible only by the Gospel, which is the power of God.

An example of such testimony is a brother or sister testifying that he/she was struggling with a sin (say anger) and God now delivered them from it. This is a new covenant testimony showing us the power of God.

2012/12/13 13:56Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

John, may I suggest you take this question to God himself and ask him! Really! I am certain He is more interested in you knowing this answer then you are. AND knock on his door until He opens...He is best equipped to answer this question then anybody I know. The reason I say this is because the answers may vary depending on your spiritual quest in your search for God.

God bless.
ginnyrose

2012/12/13 21:06Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Good point Ginnyrose!

2012/12/13 21:21Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy