SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Books...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Books...

Greetings

I am looking for some book recommendations. Anyone have a book they have read recently that the LORD just really used to speak to you. OF course I know the Lord uses the Bible to speak to us and feed us daily but I am also looking to share some other works with someone. Anyone have a favorite they can tell me a little about?

God bless
maryjane

2012/12/4 19:55Profile
joliboy11

Philippines

Re: Books...

The Great Gospel Deception, you can read it for free here: https://www.heavensfamily.org/ss/false_grace_gospel
- recommended for "modern" Christians, reaches the conscience
and disposes false hopes...

Embraced by the Cross by L.E. Maxwell
Devotions for a Deeper Life by Oswald Chambers (Devotional)
The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer

2012/12/4 20:41Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

" True Christianity" by Finney.
You can read it on line.
I am still in the chapter on " How to repent" and it is taking me a few weeks in that chapter.

I am not reading it for the sake of reading, or even because it is a good book, but I feel I have wasted enough time already trying to learn how to be serious about being serious and this book does not waste time but goes right to the point.

I think every christian aught to go through this book very slowely at least ones every few months.

2012/12/4 20:53Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

I have recently uploaded to the Web some older material that is out of print which I find to be very edifying and which is helpful for spiritual growth.

The first is New Testament Living, The Inwardness of the Christian Life by Norman B. Harrison. What clarity of thought breaks upon my understanding about how the identification truths of the Cross and Resurrection are brought to bear on our hearts by the Holy Spirit so that our behavior and conduct are a true reflection of our inner-man in Christ. You can read or download it here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/114261267/New-Testament-Living-by-Norman-B-Harrison

The other is a commentary on the book of Galatians by William Kelly. Paul's rebuking the Galatian church for falling for the "other gospel" of mixing law and grace is far stronger than his rebuke of the church at Corinth. This study is also conducive to Christian growth. The law (of Moses) is not able to give us power to keep it and of course we are not perfectly able to keep it by just will-power. The problem is not with the law, it is good. The problem is with the weakness and inability of the flesh to please God. Besides, the law (of Moses) has been superseded by the indwelling Christ. We now trust and rely on the indwelling Christ to live his life through us as we abide and yield to Him. Now our responsibility is to believe, abide, reckon, present, yield, and offer ourselves unto God as alive from the dead. We don't rely on our own (apart from Him) goodness because it ain't all that good. Anyway, have a look at this one too. The beginning of the book presents the entire book of Galatians in William Kelly's translation. The commentary comes afterward.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/114101963/Galatians-by-William-Kelly

Another treatment on the book of Galatians by Norman B. Harrison is "His Side versus Our Side". It too is quite good.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/114166207/His-Side-Versus-Our-Side-by-Norman-B-Harrison

I just want to get straight here that the law is good and we aren't supposed to practice evil or live without conscience before God. The problem was with man's inability to keep the law. Now we live by grace by the indwelling Christ and do not look upon the law as either the means or a means of obtaining sanctification.

2012/12/5 1:40Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Thank you for the suggestions. I hope to look through each one later today. I really appreciate each of you for taking the time to share here with me :)

God bless
maryjane

2012/12/5 9:19Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

M'Cheyne once wrote of a book, "Oh, for his heart-searching humility!" Now, if M'Cheyne wrote that, that means something!
The book: "Private Thoughts On Religion" by Thomas Adam. Sorry, don't have a hyper-link for you, but you can read it on-line for free (it's a google ebook), or order it off Amazon for about $30.
Beware though - it's a heart-probing book, and not for the faint of heart.

2012/12/5 13:12Profile
iceman9

New York

MaryJane

Here are three great ones.

True Spirituality – Francis Schaeffer

The Calvary Road – Roy Hession

Rees Howells: Intercessor – Norman Grubb

Brian

2012/12/5 16:16Profile
Giggles

Re:

Recently finished Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment and really enjoyed it. It's a fiction piece, so that could be a turn off for some people, but sometimes it's good to mix up genres (the Bible does too right?). Dostoyesky is extremely skilled in capturing human nature in its details, and while not overtly theological, Christian themes undergird the story. When John 11 is read nearly in its entirety by one character to another right around mid-story, it moved me to tears.

Otherwise, I have bookmarks in Paul West's Mortification book, How People Change by Tim Lane and Paul Tripp, Presuppositional Apologetics by Greg Bahnsen, and just cracked Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline after finding it at the thrift store. Enjoying them all. The first two are more sanctification focused, Bahnsen sounds scary but it is sooooo rich and biblical! It's apologetics that reads like a Pauline epistle. And Foster highlights different aspects of Christian devotion: good refresher.

2012/12/5 17:01Profile

Re:

Untobabes: I started reading True Christianity. gentle but severe.

2012/12/5 17:16
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Good Noah,

The faith is full of paradoxes.
The goodness and severity of God is one.

I suggest you take the chapter on "How to Repent" very slowly as finney said go over things ones, twice or more if necessary.

That is what I am doing right now and the Holy Spirit is bringing so much to my mind. It is amazing.
I remember spending about two hours on the sin of ingratitude alone and had to quit and go back to it the next day.

Take courage brother. It is time to seek the Lord and seek Him with the whole heart.

2012/12/5 22:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy