SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Taking someone to court...is it biblical?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Taking someone to court...is it biblical?

What would Jesus do?

To be ripped off is not unusual. Happens a lot. I suggest this person make a serious study what the scriptures says about suing, about turning the other cheek and then follow what the Holy Spirit is leading him to do.

What would Jesus do?

Would suing enhance his witness with this man? What would it do to his witness in the community?

What would Jesus do?

2012/12/3 20:20Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I can't speak for God on your friend's behalf for this situation, but what I can do is share a similar testimony which happened to me and my wife some years back.

About 12 years ago we took one of our cars into a local automotive shop for some minor repairs. This particular shop had one of those "Jesus fish" symbols on their business logo, and being relatively new and therefore gullible Christians we decided to trust the mechanics that they would do quality, fair work. We were wrong. They didn't put a belt or pump on right, and as a result it destroyed the engine and it caused thousands of dollars in damage. When my wife went down to the shop to see what they would do to make it right, she was treated with profanity and told to leave.

I remember her coming home in tears, and she told me not to go back there because the mechanic threatened her and she feared for my safety. I immediately sought consulation with our church pastor concerning the very question this thread asks. Our pastor said we could sue them and not be in violatation of scripture, since these guys clearly were not Christians. So, the next day I went and filed a complaint against the automotive shop and had a sheriff's constable serve them with a small claims summons.

Then I got alone with God because something just didn't feel right. The scripture "vengeance is mine" kept coming to my mind. So I sought God concerning it and soon came to the resolution that I was to drop all charges and just let it go. I talked to my wife and she agreed. I told God I forgave the mechanic for speaking to my wife like that, and asked Him to be kind and have mercy on him. I prayed for his family, that God would be gracious to his loved ones. A great peace came over me and it was all done.

It wasn't even a week later, the whole automotive shop was boarded-up, shut down, the signs were down, the "Jesus fish" logo gone. My dad then called me out of the blue and gave me a check exactly for what the repairs would have cost. It all happened like clockwork.

From this I learnt that pastors don't always hear from God. The best advice you can give a person in this situation is to go and seek God's heart on the matter for themselves. God tests people during these times, to see where they'll go. Will they go to man for a quick answer based upon logic and dry scripture application, or will they die to their own resources and place their needs all in His hands, trusting His justice.

Remember, we are the children of a Great King. Why go to a measley earthly judge when the Judge of the Universe is a prayer away?

Brother Paul

2012/12/3 21:15Profile

Re:

Great Post Paul and thanks for sharing. I know this verse was already quoted: Jesus said: "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." What is Jesus asking us to pray? I have run into similar situations as Paul W. and I realized that the offender might have NEVER had anyone pray for them to be granted repentance and to become a Christian. OHHHH, even as a Christian, how I have been an enemy of God and hostile towards His ways when I have been in the flesh and yet Jesus intercedes on my behalf and His blood and mercy triumphs over judgment while bringing me to repentance and victory.

Let us also learn to pray for our enemies. OHHH that we would learn how to ALWAYS pray in the Holy Spirit and be vessels meet for the Master's good use.

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

"Epaphras, who is one of your number, a bondslave of Jesus Christ, sends you his greetings, always laboring earnestly for you in his prayers, that you may stand perfect and fully assured in all the will of God" (Col. 4.12).

I think the legal issue posted about Gospel For Asia by ArthurRosh is a good example of when some legal representation is necessary; although everything must be bathed in prayer and guided by the Holy Spirit.

Kenneth

2012/12/3 23:12

Re:

Excellent post brother Paul, I can relate to what you said. Let me please comment on one thing though.

You stepped out and tried to do something but then stopped because you didn't feel right.

Many a time that I have stepped out to do something and I feel that check in my spirit that something is not quite right but every time that I do nothing, nothing happens. I mean when I wait on God BEFORE I attempt to do anything even if it's my own flesh, I never get that prompt from God to do anything. Do you know what I mean, or at least have an inkling of what I mean? It's as if God wants to see what we will do first so that He can step in to offer a solution if we are willing to ask Him when He impresses Himself upon us.

If they don't do it because the bible says they shouldn't, than they are treating what they read as law. But if they get a word from God like you did then it's faith obeying God. They are taking what they hear and obeying, like you did. Do you see the difference?

By the way, I am not putting your post down, I am adding to it or at least extracting a portion out to further it.

Thanks bro.

2012/12/3 23:56
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
It's as if God wants to see what we will do first so that He can step in to offer a solution if we are willing to ask Him when He impresses Himself upon us.

I think I understand what you are getting at. Let me expand a bit, and this is what I would teach any believer, regardless of their maturity level in Christ. You don't actually have to "step out" and do something. I only did what I did because I consulted a man first and did what I thought was right. I went through with an action because I was angry. I don't think I would do it like that today. Here's why. I am older in Christ now and have grown in grace. I don't have to go through with an action in order for God to "see" and react to my doings. God already knows everything, without me ever moving a finger. He knows this because He sees the activity of my heart - the motives, the intentions, the impulses - which prompt me to seek certain avenues of action. It is in this inner chamber of deliberation where God calls me to make a decision, before I ever move a physical finger or utter a word.

The immature believer will often seek the Lord only after he manifests his own will and realizes the folly. More mature believers have already considered the potential folly in the secret chamber of their hearts, and have called upon the Lord to override their fleshly inclinations (which are often predicated upon emotion) and reveal His own will in them as it is revealed in heaven.

If we can learn to humble ourselves while yet these stirrings are in our heart, and call upon God for the grace to know His will, we can have faith that He will reveal it. I do not believe for a moment that God calls us to make decisions like this based upon our own faulty, human intuition like unbelievers do. God will instruct us precisely every time if we will mortify all the noise around us to humbly hear His voice speaking through the Spirit and the Word.

Brother Paul

2012/12/4 0:27Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

If they don't do it because the bible says they shouldn't, than they are treating what they read as law. But if they get a word from God like you did then it's faith obeying God. They are taking what they hear and obeying, like you did. Do you see the difference?

Every scripture is God's word. Obeying scripture is therefore obeying his word. Forexample God does not need to speak to some one to stop committing adultery, his word is clear, if the person still does not obey then he is willfully ignoring the scripture. Even in the case of Paul here it is a scripture that came to his mind which he already knew but he was ignoring. This is the work of Spirit to bring God's word to our memory. I believe obeying the scripture first time is way above standard than realizing it later and correcting it, because that is how Jesus lived.

2012/12/4 0:33Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Taking someone to court...is it biblical?

I believe the word says that we are to:

Hbr 10:34 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance.

Luk 6:30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask [them] not again.

But because we have come to treasure our goods so much we find it very hard to live by these scriptures. The early church had all things in common so if one suffered loss the rest met his need. We live too much in the world these days and are too fond of it. One of these days we will return to the faith of our fathers and the sermon on the mount, and we will walk free of all things.

2012/12/4 0:48Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Beautiful testimony, Paul. Just proves once again one cannot improve upon God's directives: "And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also." Matthew 5:40.

Beautiful!

2012/12/4 2:35Profile
lovejt

Re:

Thanks for sharing that testimony Paul.

This week i had a situation where i also suffered a setback (minor compared to your situation back then) and my initial reaction was to just let it go but i prayed also and sought the Lord. Long story-short, i am getting together with that party later this week and we are 'meeting half-way with the situation'. And they are very happy with that. This will give me the opp to meetup with them face2face and go beyond taking care of the compensation and share God's love. The world needs to see we are different and we don't just seek money in everything. Even if its just or right to. This is a great testimony that we don't love money.

Looking at the example of Jesus, He suffered the most injustice throughout his entire 30+ years of life. If there was anyone who had the 'right' to take people to court, it would be Him. He would have been in court probably daily. He followed the leading of the Holy Spirit in everything. Thats the bottom-line.

2012/12/4 10:32Profile

Re:

Clearly the scriptures are talking about a believer taking another believer to court. And clearly scripture teaches that if someone (believer or unbeliever) takes advantage of us we are to forgive and even give them more than they took.

At the same time tho, we have an obligation to protect others as well. The Bible does not say "dont do anything about a person who lies, cheats, steals, etc.". It says do not take another brother to court. Sometimes a situation can be handled by the church leadership. There is plenty in scripture that supports that and spells out how that can be done.

What is at stake here is the reputation of the church. Clearly the world will have a hay-day with believers sueing other believers. It's a bad witness. It goes against the saying "you will know them by the love for one another".

As far as secular courts, if an unbeliever does something that threatens your well being... it's safe to say that this person is also a danger to other people, and in such circumstances it is highly appropriate to use the judicial system in order to ensure that others are not harmed by such a person.

I've seen people state on this forum that if a gunman entered their home and threatened their family they would do nothing... they would "turn the other cheek". I dont believe thats what Jesus meant. A man who would do nothing to protect his wife and children is not a man at all, and a lousy husband and father.

This is one of those things that is not black and white. Scripture also says that as far as it is in our control, we should leave at peace with every man. This is clearly implying that sometimes it will not be possible.

Clearly we need to seek and follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every situation. No one here can give a solid answer to every situation. This is why we need to be in the Word... praying... and seeking the Father's guidance daily.

Krispy

2012/12/4 13:10

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy