· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Taking someone to court...is it biblical?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
used4him

Taking someone to court...is it biblical?

Hi, Someone I know is thinking of taking someone to court. This person is a Christian, and the man they want to take to court did some work on their house, and is probably not a Christian. It's a long story, so I won't go into details. I am wondering if this is something that should be pursued, since they are out several thousand dollars, and could be much more. The man was deceptive and did shoddy work. What would be your opinion?

2012/12/2 20:57Profile
jimp

Re: Taking someone to court...is it biblical?

hi, it was common among the jews to lend money to other jews at no interest and to settle disputes out of court with each other. we have courts to protect the meek and the weak. this "contractors" behavior is not christian and he should be sued.jimp

2012/12/2 21:20Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

However the Spirit of God leads them, is how they should respond, if the Spirit of Christ dwells in them. Let them pray, and ask God to direct them through the Scriptures, in sincerity and brokenness.

"Be careful of words for they beget either angels or demons" - Elie Wiesel
"No one ever said at the end of his days, 'I have read my Bible too much, I have thought of God too much, I have prayed too much, I have been too careful with my soul.'"- JC Ryle
"Nay, you read of the deceitfulness of satan, yet truly a man's heart is a greater deceiver than he; for he could never deceive a man, if his own heart didnot deceive him."-Matthew Mead

2012/12/2 21:31Profile
lesmanto

Western U.S.A

Re:

I agree Yeshuasboy :-) And not to forget that Jesus told us, "Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. Matt 5:38-42.

I know a Christian man who lent his car to an unsaved man, as he was being kind to him and sharing the gospel. The man stole the car. My friend, the Christian, asked Jesus about it and the Lord had him turn the other cheek and send the man the deed to the car so he would not be arrested.

Another Christian man I know gave prisoners jobs as they got out of prison. He shared the gospel with them and trusted them. Many were grateful and came to know Christ, but one man stole $600. from him and ran with it. The Christian man could have had him arrested and he would have gotten a very stiff sentence, but he found him and told him if he would pay it back over the year with small interest, he would not report the crime.
The man was humbled and ended paying the Christian the debt.

God will work in people's hearts if we forgive them.
Just some personal stories I know.

Sister Leslie

"...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Phil.3:13,14

2012/12/2 21:52Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the bible also says that if we do not take care of our families we are worse than infidels

2012/12/2 22:02Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

1 Corinthians 6
New International Version (NIV)
Lawsuits Among Believers

6 If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? 2 Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 4 Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church? 5 I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? 6 But instead, one brother takes another to court—and this in front of unbelievers!

7 The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you have been completely defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? 8 Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, and you do this to your brothers and sisters. 9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

--

Eye for Eye

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

--

Though he is free to do as he wishes, the most godly thing to do in many cases is allow God to judge this fellow in the end and send him a note of forgiveness, etc. God will make all things right in the end.

"The preacher who is concerned with gaining a reputation, rising in his profession, is always in bondage. The itch for bigness is a dangerous thing. It has made a castaway of many a man whom God once richly blessed. A man should desire to be neither larger nor smaller than pleases God. Better than that, he should not bother at all about how large or how small but rather how faithful he shall be." - Vance Havner

2012/12/2 22:06Profile
used4him

Re:

OK, so it seems the majority here believes that a Christian should not take anyone to court. But what if the perpetrator is not a Christian? Are we still supposed to allow them to do things to harm us ( and possibly continue to harm others if we don't stop them)? Are not our courts set up to help us, even as our laws are put there to keep order? If someone is driving drunk, I appreciate the laws that try to protect us. If I was hit by a drunk driver, I would want to report him to the police, because he could hurt someone else as well.

According to the people involved in this, they had tried to give the man time to fix, and/or pay for damages, and he did not. So they wanted to go the next step, to take him to small claims court. It seems he is licensed, but has not been following the code restrictions required.

2012/12/2 22:44Profile
elias7291

Los Angeles

Re:

there is nothing wrong with seeking justice if one has been wronged. That's why the courts are there to protect our rights and liberties and when someone infringes on those liberties then that person has every right to sue.

"Come to Me all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" Matthew 11:28

2012/12/2 23:21Profile

The bible says to work it out between yourselves and not to go to court, in some cases when there is no compromise, either you take your losses and forgive or go to court and retrieve your money. Personally, I would go over the work with the person bit by bit and point out the good and the bad writing everything down and then negotiate on the price. Even be open about paying the full price if the work can be done over better.

Press the fact that you paid for work to be done and then show the bad that was done, no one is going to argue against the facts that are staring them in the face.

I just read your update on that he is not willing to fix his mistakes. With prayer proceed to take him to court. But show kindness and present the facts, not railing at each other back and forth. Let him do the railing and let your lawyer present the facts. If you have before and after pics that would be helpful.

2012/12/3 11:21
Sree

Re:

I don't think 1 Corinthians 6 is between a believer and an unbeliever. It is between two believers in Church. That is why it is very important not to take divorce situation to court. When two believers (husband and wife) standing before an unbeliever (judge) asking him to separate what God has united, they already became unbelievers, because they are breaking what God has united by the hand of an unbeliever.

Coming back to this specific case applying Sermon on the mount here is very important.
Matthew 5 -38:-You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person.
If anyone wants to follow Jesus he knows what to do here. If the contractor knows that You know he has cheated you and you still willing to forgive him then that is good enough. These are the situations in which a man has to stand for his faith. A disciple of Jesus has very higher standard which normal men cannot understand.

If we take him to court then it means that we believe in a very feeble God who cannot bring Justice but the Judge is very powerful and he use the law and order to serve Justice. Then why don't we go to the judge for salvation as well?

There was man of God in India named Sadhu Sundar Singh, he was once walking on a street, where a Conman showed him the body of his friend who acted dead and asked for money for his funeral. Sadhu gave whatever he had and kept walking. After few minutes this man came running towards Sadhu and returned all his money and cried out that his Friend is now actually Dead and he wanted him back alive.

2012/12/3 14:37Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy