by Podcast
· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Contact Us

Add SermonIndex Banner - Help share this ministry with others by adding a link to your site.

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Taking someone to it biblical?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

Taking someone to it biblical?

Hi, Someone I know is thinking of taking someone to court. This person is a Christian, and the man they want to take to court did some work on their house, and is probably not a Christian. It's a long story, so I won't go into details. I am wondering if this is something that should be pursued, since they are out several thousand dollars, and could be much more. The man was deceptive and did shoddy work. What would be your opinion?

2012/12/2 20:57Profile

Re: Taking someone to it biblical?

hi, it was common among the jews to lend money to other jews at no interest and to settle disputes out of court with each other. we have courts to protect the meek and the weak. this "contractors" behavior is not christian and he should be sued.jimp

2012/12/2 21:20Profile

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

However the Spirit of God leads them, is how they should respond, if the Spirit of Christ dwells in them. Let them pray, and ask God to direct them through the Scriptures, in sincerity and brokenness.

2012/12/2 21:31Profile

Western U.S.

I agree Yeshuasboy :-) And not to forget that Jesus told us, "Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. Matt 5:38-42.

I know a Christian man who lent his car to an unsaved man, as he was being kind to him and sharing the gospel. The man stole the car. My friend, the Christian, asked Jesus about it and the Lord had him turn the other cheek and send the man the deed to the car so he would not be arrested.

Another Christian man I know gave prisoners jobs as they got out of prison. He shared the gospel with them and trusted them. Many were grateful and came to know Christ, but one man stole $600. from him and ran with it. The Christian man could have had him arrested and he would have gotten a very stiff sentence, but he found him and told him if he would pay it back over the year with small interest, he would not report the crime.
The man was humbled and ended paying the Christian the debt.

God will work in people's hearts if we forgive them.
Just some personal stories I know.

Sister Leslie

Leslie Young

2012/12/2 21:52Profile

hi, the bible also says that if we do not take care of our families we are worse than infidels

2012/12/2 22:02Profile

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

SI Moderator - brother Greg

2012/12/2 22:06Profile

OK, so it seems the majority here believes that a Christian should not take anyone to court. But what if the perpetrator is not a Christian? Are we still supposed to allow them to do things to harm us ( and possibly continue to harm others if we don't stop them)? Are not our courts set up to help us, even as our laws are put there to keep order? If someone is driving drunk, I appreciate the laws that try to protect us. If I was hit by a drunk driver, I would want to report him to the police, because he could hurt someone else as well.

According to the people involved in this, they had tried to give the man time to fix, and/or pay for damages, and he did not. So they wanted to go the next step, to take him to small claims court. It seems he is licensed, but has not been following the code restrictions required.

2012/12/2 22:44Profile

Los Angeles

there is nothing wrong with seeking justice if one has been wronged. That's why the courts are there to protect our rights and liberties and when someone infringes on those liberties then that person has every right to sue.

2012/12/2 23:21Profile

The bible says to work it out between yourselves and not to go to court, in some cases when there is no compromise, either you take your losses and forgive or go to court and retrieve your money. Personally, I would go over the work with the person bit by bit and point out the good and the bad writing everything down and then negotiate on the price. Even be open about paying the full price if the work can be done over better.

Press the fact that you paid for work to be done and then show the bad that was done, no one is going to argue against the facts that are staring them in the face.

I just read your update on that he is not willing to fix his mistakes. With prayer proceed to take him to court. But show kindness and present the facts, not railing at each other back and forth. Let him do the railing and let your lawyer present the facts. If you have before and after pics that would be helpful.

2012/12/3 11:21

2012/12/3 14:37Profile

©2002-2015 Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy