SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Homeless Preacher that Risks his Life Every Day for Jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
hulsey

Missouri

Homeless Preacher that Risks his Life Every Day for Jesus

http://gnli.christianpost.com/video/homeless-preacher-that-risks-his-life-every-day-for-jesus-7305

What was that that Ravenhill said? Someday some young man will pick up the Bible, read it and...?

2012/11/27 14:55Profile
SteveHale

NSW Australia

Re: Homeless Preacher that Risks his Life Every Day for Jesus

Watching this bloke both challenges and encourages me at the same time.

2012/11/27 23:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

What didn't sound right to me was when he was taking in homeless people to his home and got kicked out of three apartments then HIS WIFE LEFT HIM. He said it non-chalantly like it was nothing.

I feel the Gospel does not ignore the calling towards being faithful to our husbands and wifes.

2012/11/28 9:16Profile

Re:

Personally this story brought me to my knees and broke my heart in tears. Praise GOD for His mercy endures FOREVER! Thank you for posting.

Greg, I see your point, but let's try not to judge him without knowing all the facts. Let's be thankful and rejoice that these homeless men and women are being spiritually feed.

"And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life."

"And Jesus said to him, "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head."

"And a person’s enemies will be those of his own household."

"At my first defense no one supported me, but all deserted me; may it not be counted against them."

"If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also."

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

In regard to apartments not letting him bring in the homeless, I believe this is possible. In my small city there are dozens of homeless, but they kick them off the streets because it sends a bad message to the city. Also, there will be a law passed that if you are on the street you will go to jail. If you goto jail three times for sleeping on the street then you will go to prison. I do not know all the details about the law, but I plan to find it out soon. Anyways, I thought of this verse:

"For if a man comes into your assembly with a gold ring and dressed in fine clothes, and there also comes in a poor man in dirty clothes, and you pay special attention to the one who is wearing the fine clothes, and say, “You sit here in a good place,” and you say to the poor man, “You stand over there, or sit down by my footstool,” have you not made distinctions among yourselves, and become judges with evil motives? But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors."

Love in Christ's name,

Kenneth Martin

2012/11/28 11:11
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Amen Greg and most of the time I would agree. But, knowing that news reports tend to fall short on information and are heavily edited, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Who's to say that there wasn't more information given in the interview about his marriage that was cut to fit the piece into it's time-slot? Sometimes the Gospel brings a sword into families. We don't all end up looking like the Duggars. Is that offensive to us? For every wonderful testimony of families knit together by the introduction of the Gospel there's an Art Katz with the testimony of a new believer disowned because he embraced the same Gospel.

2012/11/28 12:16Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Amen Greg and most of the time I would agree. But, knowing that news reports tend to fall short on information and are heavily edited, I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Who's to say that there wasn't more information given in the interview about his marriage that was cut to fit the piece into it's time-slot? Sometimes the Gospel brings a sword into families. We don't all end up looking like the Duggars. Is that offensive to us? For every wonderful testimony of families knit together by the introduction of the Gospel there's an Art Katz with the testimony of a new believer disowned because he embraced the same Gospel.

Agreed brother. Though I have heard many stories of brothers who felt they were following Christ radically and had wives that felt so very neglected, mistreated and discouraged because the husband loved the ministry more than family. Also the husband can do radical things that deprive the wive of the basics of comfort or a home which also can seem like they are radically following Christ but a command of Christ is to love your wife.

I believe there are times God will call a husband to radical commitment even if a wife is not willing at first but for the sake of a marriage one could find ways to have balance. Hence in this case this brother could have stopped having homeless live with them and rather spent more time out with them "or" had a separate apartment in the building he could fundraise to have just for the homeless to live in that he supervised.

Of course we cannot take that one statement out of context and disregard his work, I feel we need many more brothers who have a commitment to love and serve the poor as this brother. But that statement did stick out to me quite strongly.

2012/11/28 12:47Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

All of you have made some strong points
pertaining to this post. The Lord would have us to
forsake all and follow Him without neglecting
our families. Only the Lord can bring us into
that proper balance.

Mike

2012/11/28 13:53Profile

Re:

Who are the brothers that have neglected their wife by obeying Jesus in some way, which led to their wife leaving them? The obedience of faith is I think the key to this brother's testimony, mentioned in the beginning of this interview: God called him and he obeyed. Like Pullinger, God called her and said: Go!!! Like John Wesley too. John W. also could be considered one of the brothers who did the same with his wife? What about the Pilgrim's Progress story? Eventually the wife came back and let's hope and pray that this homeless brother's wife will return. Then there is the mystery of the apostle Paul and his choice not to take a wife, etc. Did he ever have a wife as a Jew? This was the custom? Did she leave him because he left the Jewish faith to obey a man who died on a cross?

Anyone could say this of John Wesley too and they do often condemn him for his supposed neglect of Mary. Granted, in the Kingdom of God this is not the norm; yes we are to lay down our life for our wife, keep our home in order, provide both spiritually and materially for those in our household, but we are ALSO commanded to lay down our life for the saints.

"Someone said to Him, “Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You.” But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, “Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, “Behold My mother and My brothers! “For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother.”

Love in Christ's name,

Kenneth Martin

2012/11/28 13:55
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Brother Kenneth,

I can see what you are saying, but not
everyone that quits their job to do ministry
work is following the Lord. Some are being
led by a misguided zeal and love their ministry
more than the Lord or their families. I have
seen families destroyed from this very thing.

Mike

2012/11/28 14:07Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

On the surface this story seems very similar to what we might read in Voice of the Martyrs but without the persecution of police and others.

Being kicked out of apartments - I wonder what happened there. It is easy to judge that part without know the facts behind it.

2012/11/28 16:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy