SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : A Grammarian's Funeral - Browning

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

A Grammarian's Funeral - Browning

Yea, this in him was the peculiar grace (Hearten our chorus!)

That before living he’d learn how to live— No end to learning:

Earn the means first—God surely will contrive Use for our earning.

Others mistrust and say, “But time escapes: Live now or never!”

He said, “What’s time? Leave Now for dogs and apes! Man has Forever.”

-excerpted from A Grammarians Funeral by Robert Browning

The lines above are taken out of a poem written by Browning about a scholar who was convinced that he needed to understand life before he lived it. So he locked himself away and devoted himself to study until his health failed and he died.

Those who are bearing his coffin are praising him in that he had "no end in learning" and was willing to pass by the "now" of life for the "forever" of true understanding.

This is a classic dilemma that we all face, is it better to live one's life than to understand one's life? It seems the grammarian chose poorly yet there is something commendable about his devotion to understanding.

In Christ,

Ron

2012/11/22 11:09Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re: A Grammarian's Funeral - Browning

Hi Ron,

I read somewhere that our concept of discipleship is all too often one of sitting in school behind a desk learning, learning... whereas in fact our Lord's disciples were more like apprentices-- out there in the world learning right on the job.

Allan

2012/11/22 22:42Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I read somewhere that our concept of discipleship is all too often one of sitting in school behind a desk learning, learning... whereas in fact our Lord's disciples were more like apprentices-- out there in the world learning right on the job.

I am reminded of Abraham who "went out, not knowing whither he went." (Hebrews 11:8). We all struggle to know where God is leading us, what the next step in our life should be. I believe that often God is just calling us to be pioneers in the life of faith, like Abraham.

T.A. Sparks wrote about coming to know the Lord in a way of proving. C.T. Studd wrote about how Christian training is not so much of the schools but rather of the marketplace, he used the phrase forked-lightning Christians and said that the best degree for Christ's service was a lost reputation.

That is not to say that studying and learning is not needed, I believe it is; but I know that my heart aches for the reality of all that God has promised in the New Covenant, for the reality of LIFE.

The story of the grammarian reminds me that I can ever be learning but never come to the knowledge of the truth. I can learn many things about religion but still remain a stranger to the saving power of the gospel.

In Christ,

Ron

2012/11/23 10:57Profile
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

Ron said, "I know that my heart aches for the reality of all that God has promised in the New Covenant, for the reality of LIFE."

Mine too, brother. It's interesting to note the reaction of the people when Jesus cast out demons. They said, "What doctrine is this?"

"And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? What new doctrine is this? For with authority commandeth He even the unclean spirits, and they obey Him" (Mk. 1.27).

2012/11/23 14:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy