SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Reporting offensive threads and post...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Jasmine

Reporting offensive threads and post...

I've looked but I didn't see where you could report a post that is offensive.

As a Born Again Believer in Jesus Christ who is African American, I am offended by the thread in the "News Forum" called something like "This is why Christians in America are upset..." and it has a link. I find it offensive on so many levels. I can't begin to express to you what I feel and maybe it's a good ideal if I don't. It's not "News" so why is it even allowed?

I saw that there were 2 Moderators Paul West & Sermonindex who were on line at the same time I was, but nothing was done concerning that thread. To my knowledge as I write this, it is still an open thread. Why is that? Would it be acceptable to you if I started a thread of the same ilk using white men who are pedophiles and explained the cost to tax payers and included some kind of inflammatory link? Maybe if I posted something not quite anti-semitic but close hmmmm? I pretty sure you would shut it down without hesitation but you let that thread stand?

If you let that thread stand including its link then you're not really who you say you are. You can just feign ignorance while you let someone else do your dirty work because in reality you’re in agreement. It's a nasty and ugly thread plain and simple. I've seen how you've locked threads with a quickness, especially when they don't favor your perspective so to speak. So why was this thread left open? Speaks volumes.

I'm no fly by night member and I‘m not a novice. I‘ve been saved more than a minute. I just don't post a lot. But this is different because of the present climate and what’s being signified and you know it. To allow that thread Is not okay and it's not alright. It‘s a gross misrepresentation of African American males and the poor. Both who make up some of God‘s kingdom. So I would like to know based on what you say Sermon Index stands for how that thread glorifies God? You tell me. I look forward to your response.

2012/11/15 12:46Profile
MaryJane

Re: Reporting offensive threads and post...

by Jasmine on 2012/11/15 6:46:32

I've looked but I didn't see where you could report a post that is offensive.

As a Born Again Believer in Jesus Christ who is African American, I am offended by the thread in the "News Forum" called something like "This is why Christians in America are upset..." and it has a link. I find it offensive on so many levels. I can't begin to express to you what I feel and maybe it's a good ideal if I don't. It's not "News" so why is it even allowed?

I saw that there were 2 Moderators Paul West & Sermonindex who were on line at the same time I was, but nothing was done concerning that thread. To my knowledge as I write this, it is still an open thread. Why is that? Would it be acceptable to you if I started a thread of the same ilk using white men who are pedophiles and explained the cost to tax payers and included some kind of inflammatory link? Maybe if I posted something not quite anti-semitic but close hmmmm? I pretty sure you would shut it down without hesitation but you let that thread stand?

If you let that thread stand including its link then you're not really who you say you are. You can just feign ignorance while you let someone else do your dirty work because in reality you’re in agreement. It's a nasty and ugly thread plain and simple. I've seen how you've locked threads with a quickness, especially when they don't favor your perspective so to speak. So why was this thread left open? Speaks volumes.

I'm no fly by night member and I‘m not a novice. I‘ve been saved more than a minute. I just don't post a lot. But this is different because of the present climate and what’s being signified and you know it. To allow that thread Is not okay and it's not alright. It‘s a gross misrepresentation of African American males and the poor. Both who make up some of God‘s kingdom. So I would like to know based on what you say Sermon Index stands for how that thread glorifies God? You tell me. I look forward to your response.

Greetings Jasmine

I can't answer for Greg or the other mods directly but it is possible that they did not open the thread you are referring to. Its is also possible that they are unaware of this thread. If I may make a suggestion, send Greg an email with the link to the thread, share your heart on what the LORD is showing you concerning the thread and then pray and trust that the LORD will lead them to respond according to HIS will. I have done this in the past and on most occasions I have gotten and email thanking me for bringing the thread to their attention. Just because a mod is on does not mean they open each thread and it is possible this one slipped past.

I hope this information helps you in reporting the thread that troubled you.

God bless
mj

2012/11/15 13:23Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

Sister,

Firstly I would like to encourage you as the other site recommended firstly to pray about an offence and then even to write myself or the moderators privately first. As towards the actual post just because the fellow in the video was african american does not mean it was prejudiced to all african americans, that is a mis-reading and being unfair to accuse that.

Secondly and more importantly in Christ it does not matter what race we are, we are equal and full of His gifting and callings. That is a blessed truth to consider, we must get our of our earthly identities and find our true identity in God and being a part of His kingdom.

we do not promote and desire videos to be posted that are secular in nature neither political so we have locked the thread you mentioned.

God bless.

2012/11/15 13:36Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

Dear Jasmine,

I am so very sorry that I offended you by posting the video that I posted. I come from a multicultural family where people are people and cultural background is not an issue. I have an African American sister in law whom I love dearly as well as a Hispanic American brother in law, and an Asian American aunt. I now attend a Hispanic church. Prior to that I attended a multicultural church. If the couple had been Asian, Hispanic or Caucasian, or a mixture of any, to me it would not have made any difference. The evil that they were expressing is being done by millions across this country from several cultural backgrounds. Many of us are deeply concerned. I personally live a self sacrificing life in order to help people from all cultural backgrounds, but evil is evil and Christians must expose and denounce evil when it is being passed on as "OK" regardless of who is committing the evil.

Before seeing the video I had no knowledge of Judge Judy. At age 11 I quit watching TV, so I am totally “out of the loop” when it comes to TV shows. I didn’t realize that the video would spark such offense.

Please forgive my ignorant blunder.

Sincerely,

Michael Strickland

2012/11/15 14:31Profile

Re:

The African American bailiff in this video seemed appalled by this young man's attitude and behavior... and even mocked his ignorance.

Just thought I would point that out.

Krispy

2012/11/15 15:16
Jasmine

Re:

Dear Lordoitagain,

Let me begin by saying for the record, I don’t know one African American male or female including myself who would be in agreement with what was expressed in that video from that young man - not one. However I did know before I even clicked the link, it would be an African American. I kid you not. You chose to inform those outside of America what you believe to be a “problem” and you used the face of an African American man to represent that. I don’t recall there being a disclaimer on your part stating, “this is not a reflection of all African American men“.

If all these people you made your thread to abroad already personally know African American men then there‘s no problem. If not, they don’t know what you posted is not who African American men are. They don’t know because they have no relationship with them to say otherwise. and that is what I think you’re missing regarding the link. Just speaking of America, the closest some white people have ever come to African Americans is the media - television. What’s really scary is then they think they know us when in reality all they know are mostly negative stereotypes and images because they have no real relationship with us. However I think some like it that way because it’s easier to vilify people you’re not in right relationship with.

You made your thread specifically knowing the present climate. You know that and I know that. Here’s another reality for you. You’re not the one on the receiving end of your thread. We are real people of flesh, bone, and blood behind these computers. What we say online can have real consequences off line. Your words are real. I am the parent of an adult African American man so it matters to me. There are people, some who say they are Christians in hatred and I do feel your thread added fuel to that hatred. People like that only see skin color and we both know it. It’s all up and through many of the Christian forums and the internet. There are many white people who do not include white people in what you described as an evil. They believe it’s only people of color and in particular African Americans. How dishonest of them, how convenient, and how ugly.

I’m not familiar with a gospel that scorns the poor. Poverty has its own way of stripping people of their humanity and I refuse to be a part of that. I don’t feel that poor people should be singled out. I also don’t feel poor people need to apologize for being poor. So you can vilify the poor, stereotype, generalize, and justify the way you feel and talk about them but I know God’s love is bigger than that and unlike us He sees in totality. Also I think about Lazarus and the rich man. When it was all said and done, who was saved? Make no mistake about it, God knows every single situation and His reach is far beyond anything we can comprehend or imagine. If you’re not offering the poor Salvation (don’t assume some of them aren’t Born Again) then what are you offering them?

I’m not sure of your apology because honestly, I just don’t know. However I can appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond to me and I thank you for that. Sorry for the long post. I do hope it at least helps you in part to understand my initial post. You can have the last word.

2012/11/16 10:47Profile
Jasmine

Re:

Mary Jane,

Thank you for your assistance. It was appreciated. It really was.

2012/11/16 10:49Profile
Jasmine

Re:

Greg,

Brother,

I really didn’t see the protocol for complaints and I honestly looked. Maybe I was supposed to email this post too but we’re here now. In terms of what you consider mis-reading/being unfair, you have your opinion and I have my experience.

Thank you for locking that thread but I saw that you left the link active. I don’t know if that’s on purpose or not. If it was left active on purpose, I think that that is disingenuous.

I’ve had my say on this matter. Thank you for affording me that opportunity.

2012/11/16 10:53Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Jasmine,

I had no interest in the video, until you started this thread. Now I have watched it.

Honestly, what is the problem? They were black, rather than white, is that your problem? Either way, they were both still wrong.

The only problem I see with the video, is that, as has been said, it has nothing to do with the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Fact is, if tax isn't going to something like this, it will just go to something else just as worthless.

What's done is done.

2012/11/16 11:16Profile

Jasmine

my name is neil, i'm a Jew who follows Jesus, my sister is bi-racial, black, same mother, her husband, a God fearing black man, is dear to me, as is his formidable Jesus loving mother and sisters are.Believe me, i've had to defend my baby sister many times, with MORE than words.

i understand....and understand thru God the Holy Ghost.

i would have wrote this and MORE privately, but the PM function has been disabled.

fret not, time spent in the "desolate places" is never time ill spent, we may be pressed out, perplexed, but never abandoned. For this time spent in the desolate places, refines us.......and soon, ALL will learn what i mean, by what i wrote. soon.

in Jesus' love, neil

2012/11/16 11:54

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy