SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Which Covenant Did Jesus Teach?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
ArtB

New York

Re:

by ArtB on 2012/11/16 7:09:58

Croref wrote ". . proving Jesus was of no OT law. Though He referred to it in instances, never taught it."

I, ArtB replied: "Actually, Jesus, prior to his ressurection, lived under the Mosaic Law, He taught God's people how to keep the Mosaic Law. Jesus never sought gentiles, His mission was to teach encourage His fellow Jews How to keep the Mosaic Law. Jesus never taught the New Covenant prior to His death, but He did give a few clues in His parables and speeches.

Had Jesus taught the New Covenant prior to His death, Jesus would have violated the Mosaic Covenant. At best, Jesus hinted about a New Covenant."

To which Croref replied "No offense but, I do not wish to engage what I consider an extremely error ridden mindset. I will await the opinion of others. Thank You."

BTW, I am not in anyway offended by your post.

However:

twayneb on 2012/11/17 6:25:54 wrote: "I believe if we take a step or two back and look at the broad picture, we can see that it is not so much about whether Jesus' teachings seem to reflect the jots and tittles of one covenant or the other, but rather that Jesus purpose was to bring to a conclusion the old so that He might usher in the new."

Replying to Twayne B, Croref wrote: "And Jesus, being the 'handshake' between God and man, did just that."

My question to you Croref. How is it that you agree with TwayneB's statement, and disagree with my statement, which is similar to Twayne B's statement?

In other words, exactly why did you reply to my post,as you did? What is it that you disagree with what I wrote?

2012/11/18 0:25Profile
Croref

Re:

by ArtB on 2012/11/17 21:25:25

by ArtB on 2012/11/16 7:09:58

Croref wrote ". . proving Jesus was of no OT law. Though He referred to it in instances, never taught it.""

Quote:
My question to you Croref. How is it that you agree with TwayneB's statement, and disagree with my statement, which is similar to Twayne B's statement?

In other words, exactly why did you reply to my post,as you did? What is it that you disagree with what I wrote?

Thank you Artb!

Quote:
You wrote this to which I disagreed: "Actually, Jesus, prior to his resurrection, lived under the Mosaic Law, He taught God's people how to keep the Mosaic Law."

My reply: "Jesus was of no OT law. Though He referred to it in instances, never taught it."

The Law was given to the world [Israel], the flesh of man, to obey for blessings and favor with God and by faith [not the faith of God but of man] could it only be accomplished. Jesus was born under the law and kept it and though He was OF the law, because it was righteous, never taught it but fulfilled it by His life and death. By His life, He was above the Law and taught the whole government of God which the OT law was but a type that they might see Him in it.

To those who were righteous His main thrust was the Kingdom and new birth; the ushering in of a new creation with a new covenant that they might enter for the satisfaction of the promise given them of God spoken of in the OT. For the sinner it was the exposing of their rebelliousness that they might repent and believe that redemption and the new covenant might be made affective in their lives as well. cf Matthew 20 to see something that might help for our understanding__and more. ))

2012/11/18 7:02Profile

Re: Does it really matter?

Saints at this point I would ask does it really matter which covenant Jesus was teachibg? Tbe thong is we are in the New Covenant which was ratified by his death. This is the Covenant that Jeremiah wrote about. Tbis is the covenant Joel spoke about with the coming of the Holy Spirit. This is the covenant we celebrate in tbe Lord's supper. This is the New Covenant we live in. Halleujah!!

Bearmaster.

2012/11/18 10:56

Re:

YES!! It is imperative to be able to discern the Old Covenant from the new.

The fact is that if we don't rightly divide the covenants, we will end very frustrated and confused.

Example: Do you believe your heart is desperately wicked and deceitful above all things? If you do, its' because you've failed to "rightly divide the word."

God had Jeremiah tell the people that "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked" (Jeremiah 17:9) but in Romans 5:5 Paul said that "the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts." Which is true? They both are! It was true when Jeremiah said it to those to whom He spoke in the Old Covenant and Paul's words are true for we who live under the New Covenant!

Do you see the confusion that happens when we fail to make the distinction between the covenants? There are many biblical texts like that. When we read the Bible, we need to ask ourselves, "Who is speaking? To whom is he speaking? When is He speaking?" These are basic questions that will settle a lot of confusion in reading the Bible.

2012/11/18 11:34
Croref

Re:

by tuc on 2012/11/18 8:34:17

Hey! tuc! Covenants have nothing to do with all that!!

2012/11/18 11:41Profile

Re:

Sure they do.

The New Covenant gives a clean new heart.

The old only covered sin. The new completely removes sin.

The old could never remove guilt and shame. The new makes one righteous and perfect.

The old could never never make you righteous, holy, or pure.

The new gives us the very life of Christ who dwells and abides with in us.

The old was faulty - the new is faultless.

Why would I even consider to take teaching from the Old Covenant and attempt to apply them to myself?

Gal. 2:20-21,"I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

This was NOT possible under the old.

2012/11/18 13:09
Croref

Re:

it still has nothing to with covenants.

2012/11/18 14:43Profile

Re:

Without the New Covenant everyone would still be under the bondage of sin and without any hope whatsoever. Everyone's heart would be deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked.

2012/11/18 14:56
Croref

Re:

by tuc on 2012/11/18 11:56:56

Without the New Covenant everyone would still be under the bondage of sin and without any hope whatsoever. Everyone's heart would be deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked.

Jesus is the new covenant!

2012/11/18 17:53Profile

Re:

Without Jesus Christ everyone would still be under the bondage of sin and without any hope whatsoever. Everyone's heart would be deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked.

Jesus is alive in me and I abide in Him.

2012/11/18 18:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy