SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 5,000 Fed - 12 baskets full of fragments

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
White_Stone

North Central Florida

5,000 Fed - 12 baskets full of fragments

Today we were reading in Matthew and covered the feeding of the 5,000 & the 4,000. It speaks of them having only a little bread but they has baskets (empty it appears) to carry away the fragments.

Does anyone have any light to shead on this? Did they carry empty baskets in case they were needed for anything? Were they collapsible or firm?

This is a wonderful miracle and the retelling of it will be welcome in this coming period because I see lean times. If Jesus had pity on those masses (many of which were there only for what they could get and not for Love of Him) I believe he will have pity on those of us who love Him.

white stone

2012/11/12 12:20Profile
jimp

Re: 5,000 Fed - 12 baskets full of fragments

hi, those that say that God is not interested in numbers and are against mega churches would shut these meetings down.although i believe Jesus multiplied the loaves and the fish, i have a friend who believes that when the multitude saw Jesus share what he had with everyone without putting Himself and his gang first, they shared what that had hidden away for themselves.most of the followers of Jesus were fishermen so they would have baskets handy.jimp

2012/11/12 12:36Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Tares among the wheat

" i have a friend who believes that when the multitude saw Jesus share what he had with everyone without putting Himself and his gang first, they shared what that had hidden away for themselves."

Sure, easier to believe the lie. Take what you want from the Bible/God's Word and make up the rest. This makes me crazy.

Jimp: "i believe Jesus multiplied the loaves and the fish,"

Thank you for this confession.

I do not understand what you are saying about the mega churches. My husband and I do not attend any 'organized' chruch group. In our eyes they are all gone away from the truth and we do not feel it is safe to listen to their lies.

ws

2012/11/12 13:05Profile
Sree

Re: 5,000 Fed - 12 baskets full of fragments

Quote:

Does anyone have any light to shead on this? Did they carry empty baskets in case they were needed for anything? Were they collapsible or firm?

I would say 12 baskets full of left over fragments is just a measure on the left over. There is no other way to measure the fragments those days in a meaningful way. I would discourage you from focusing on where the empty baskets came from, it will take your focus away from the real thing. I am not sure whether you got a chance to focus on the number of left over baskets, it is 12. Jesus had 12 disciples at that time, who served the 5000 and distributed them bread. God rewarded each of them with 1 basket full of Bread and fish each. This shows that the one who does the will of God and serves him in an unselfish way will be honored by God. New Testament has amazing truths hidden in it if we focus on the right thing.

Quote:

hi, those that say that God is not interested in numbers and are against mega churches would shut these meetings down.

Jesus had 5000 people hearing him for 3 days without food. Anyone would have felt like all these were true disciples of Jesus but they were not. They all departed him and even approved his Crucification. This is why numbers cannot be trusted. Just because we have large numbers does not mean we have an approval from God. And just because we have lesser number does not mean we are not approved by God.

For example Jesus himself had only 12 disciples out of them only 11 endured till the end. All these modern day Big Churches would have called him a legalist for driving away numbers or even unapproved by God because he made very few followers. But what happened in the end. These 11 were able to spread the Gospel so mightily. That is why it is the Quality that is important and not quantity. People who want only money by conducting large meetings will never understand this truth. If these Mega Churches start speaking the Truth then their numbers will drop drastically, are they willing to take risk? No they won't because they are blinded by numbers. Satan has succeeded in blinding their eyes.

Having Said all this, I myself was born again in a mega Church that does not speak the full truth. They had many practices against the word of God. But God still used them to bring me to light. But once I came to light, Jesus is not there in this Church. Hence I moved from this Mega Church and joined a Church in which my groom lives inside and not outside. So God can use Mega Churches but a true bride of Christ will not stay in such Church because the Groom is not there.

2012/11/12 14:24Profile
jimp

Re:

dear sree, if you think that 5000 people went to a meeting without carrying some food with them knowing that they would be there for days; you have not been around many jews.there were no fast food spots or stores like we have.jimp

2012/11/12 15:16Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

dear sree, if you think that 5000 people went to a meeting without carrying some food with them knowing that they would be there for days; you have not been around many jews.there were no fast food spots or stores like we have.jimp

I don't think I said 5000 came without any food? Bible clearly says that there was a lad with 5 loaves and few Fishes and was ready to give it to Jesus (John 6). May be there were others who were not willing to give it to Jesus. Who cares. Irrespective of what they had, Jesus did a miracle there because he had compassion on those people who followed him without any food. When Bible says there was a miracle but someone believes otherwise then he is wrong, we cannot accept any other views because it appears logical to us, Let God alone be true and every Man a liar.

2012/11/12 15:44Profile
staff

Re:

Hi All,
I think I heard someone say that the 12 baskets of bread left over was prophetic of Israel and of the 12 Apostles.For a time just after the crucifixion the Apostles looked like useless scraps but after Jesus was resurrected he re gathered the Apostles just has he had gathered back up the pieces.Bread is used elsewhere as "The Word" or Spiritual food and the Apostles were the carriers of the word
like the basket.
Yours Staff

2012/11/12 18:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy