SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Why should we assume Cain was the first born of Adam when Adam was 130 yrs old when Seth was born?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Croref

Why should we assume Cain was the first born of Adam when Adam was 130 yrs old when Seth was born?

With no TV or radio, no Xboxes and NFL, what can we rightly suppose Adam was doing all those years. I mean, who was Abel raising sheep for and Cain crops?

2012/11/9 10:03Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Why should we assume Cain was the first born of Adam when Adam was 130 yrs old wh

quote: "I mean, who was Abel raising sheep for and Cain crops?"

Apparently the same people that Cain was afraid of when he was driven out.

Obviously the Bible does not tell us all there is to know.

The Bible at least suggests that Cain was the firstborn, but many many many other births must not be noted.

Then again, the Bible could record the birth of cain and abel (even if there were other prior births) because of the story that ensued. The prior births and lives, if there were any, were apparently uneventful.

2012/11/9 10:14Profile
rainydaygirl

Re: Why should we assume Cain was the first born of Adam when Adam was 130 yrs old wh

by Croref on 2012/11/9 7:03:26

With no TV or radio, no Xboxes and NFL, what can we rightly suppose Adam was doing all those years. I mean, who was Abel raising sheep for and Cain crops?

----

SO after reading this i wondered what does it matter? how would Adam having more children before Cain change anything or cause us to grow in Jesus?

not sure i understand what know or not knowing would do to further the Kingdom of Christ.

rdg

2012/11/9 10:18Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Well he could still be the firstborn SON. Maybe he had 15 older sisters. lol. It was thru the sons that the geneology is counted.

Besides that, 130 in those days (given their very long lifespan) is about the equivalent of age 30 today. Abraham and Sarah didn't have their first child(not counting Hagar's son) til Abraham was 90?100? (my memory is foggy at moment on whether it was Abe or Sarah who was 90).

2012/11/9 10:46Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

have to agree with rainydaygirl, it would be much more advantageous to wrap you heart around knowing Jesus better, and leave all the figuring, and questioning of things that have no revealed answers to the time when we see Him face to face. These kind of questionings do not cause us to grow in the Lord, they only stumble us. They are time suckers. We become like what we look at, look at Jesus the author and finisher of our faith, and oh my will you be lovely.

2012/11/9 10:48Profile
Croref

Re:

by TMK on 2012/11/9 7:14:57

quote: "I mean, who was Abel raising sheep for and Cain crops?"

Apparently the same people that Cain was afraid of when he was driven out.

Obviously the Bible does not tell us all there is to know.

Quote:
The Bible at least suggests that Cain was the firstborn, but many many many other births must not be noted.

Lets examine that passage TMK? Where is it?

Then again, the Bible could record the birth of cain and abel (even if there were other prior births) because of the story that ensued. The prior births and lives, if there were any, were apparently uneventful.

Like girls __a whole bunch of them??

2012/11/9 10:58Profile

We can assume that aging started when they left the garden, for Adam he was 1 year old.

Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Genesis 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.

In between Cain and Abel, there is no doubt in my mind that Adam and Eve were having daughters left right and centre. Cain took a wife later on, that woman had to come from somewhere and I cannot lower myself to believe she was some descendant of a Screaming Banshee or some other man/ape like thing. Though sometimes a man does wonder, there are times that you can't shut her up.

It's strange to me why there is no mention of Abel being born, I think that Cain and Abel were twins. Cain being the first one that came out, like Esau and Jacob. It's always the older brother or brothers that hate the younger one, that thread seems to weave itself all through the bible.

I consider these subjects to be like Tiddly Winks, amusing distractions. Some meat might come out of it, I hope it does.

Good luck

2012/11/9 10:58
Croref

Re:

by rainydaygirl on 2012/11/9 7:18:42

by Croref on 2012/11/9 7:03:26

----

SO after reading this i wondered what does it matter? how would Adam having more children before Cain change anything or cause us to grow in Jesus?

not sure i understand what know or not knowing would do to further the Kingdom of Christ.rdg

This isn't about Jesus. It is about being fruitful and multiplying and re-replenishing the earth when we have been given to believe Adam only had three sons in 130 years and the third one became a husband to a woman we don't know how she arrived on the scene..

Where did Cain get a wife but a sister who became his wife? Maybe 5 or 6, who knows. It had to be something as that.

So when Cain was born we read Eve saying, "God has given me a man child". Do you think she may have been wondering about the issue of procreation, maybe? I mean she could have been dropping one a year and probably did __all girls.

2012/11/9 11:08Profile
Croref

Re:

by Approved on 2012/11/9 7:58:39

We can assume that aging started when they left the garden, for Adam he was 1 year old.
In between Cain and Abel, there is no doubt in my mind that Adam and Eve were having daughters left right and centre.

Cain took a wife later on, that woman had to come from somewhere and I cannot lower myself to believe she was some descendant of a Screaming Banshee or some other man/ape like thing. Though sometimes a man does wonder, there are times that you can't shut her up.

It's strange to me why there is no mention of Abel being born, I think that Cain and Abel were twins. Cain being the first one that came out, like Esau and Jacob. It's always the older brother or brothers that hate the younger one, that thread seems to weave itself all through the bible.

I consider these subjects to be like Tiddly Winks, amusing distractions. Some meat might come out of it, I hope it does.

Amen, Brother! But lets not forget that soon we come to the sons of God taking stock of and then up with the daughters of men. Who were these daughters that they should be so called and not the daughters of God? What was going on in that?

2012/11/9 11:14Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Goldminer wrote:

"have to agree with rainydaygirl, it would be much more advantageous to wrap you heart around knowing Jesus better, and leave all the figuring, and questioning of things that have no revealed answers to the time when we see Him face to face. These kind of questionings do not cause us to grow in the Lord, they only stumble us. They are time suckers. We become like what we look at, look at Jesus the author and finisher of our faith, and oh my will you be lovely."

Sorry goldminer; some of us find the Bible intersting, and find questions like these interesting. It has nothing to do, necessarily, with growing in Christ. Some people talk sports, i like to talk Bible. And questions like this are fun to discuss.

Lighten up just a tad.

2012/11/9 12:54Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy