SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : organised evangelism events

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
nimble

organised evangelism events

What do you think of the organised Evangelism/ Gospel event concept? I know "Christ is preached; and in this I rejoice" is the right attitude but congregationally what should be encouraged? Do these "events" have a Biblical basis? Is it better to encourage individuals to share the gospel, and for non-believers to come along and be challenged in a "normal" church setting (eg. 1 Cor 14.. although that's another discussion - i've always found that passage a little hard to understand).

Just wondered what you all think... I'm not coming into this with any pre-formed opinions!

2005/2/28 8:09Profile
Holyhands

Re: organised evangelism events

Hmmmmmmm
Interesting i have wondered about this one! I have zero knowlegde of any "Events" as you call it like this in the bible! there were time eg like Peter preaching and Paul sharing his testominy(Acts 21 or 22 i think) But as for organised im not sure!
Im not into watered down gospel messages! I believe making it relavent as Christ is always relavent! But not watering it down. I believe that we can do both event and Friendship evangelism! As a small side point the more events i have been to the more frustrated i have been! We just create a sugar coated gospel. Or an emotion response time!
Sorry lost it there for a miniute.

2005/3/2 6:49Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Just a thought,

In the gospels Jesus expressly tells his disciples to throw out their nets. The result was not only was the catch huge, but other boats were needed to bring it all in. So I think that organised net throwing sessions 8-) more than likely fits into the organised evangelistic campaign.

2005/3/2 6:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
In the gospels Jesus expressly tells his disciples to throw out their nets. The result was not only was the catch huge, but other boats were needed to bring it all in. So I think that organised net throwing sessions more than likely fits into the organised evangelistic campaign.

Zekeo
I think this was more of an emergency reaction that an organised event. ;-) When we see the street preacher overwhelmed with enquirers there is potential for others to help. In the gospel account the 'organisation' seems to have taken place after the fish were caught, rather than as a preparation for it! :-D

I'm not opposing organisation just commenting on the exposition. ;-) As I sometimes say when I am preaching, "how could I be against organisattion; I'm married to one!"

2005/3/2 7:06Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
I think this was more of an emergency reaction that an organised event.

You really amuse me at times. We would hope that any net throwing/organised event would be done because of obedience to the master. That they have heard that is something that Jesus wants to do.

Another thought that I have had recently, we can interpret theology from mans perspective, I would rather say that interpreting/expositioning scripture should be done from Gods perspective. Makes life allot easier.
Who organises the catch anyway? Jesus, not the disciples.

p.s. In regards to the streetpreacher, I think that God would make him preach to the fish on the other side of the soap box. :-)

2005/3/2 7:26Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
You really amuse me at times

and for the rest of the time...
no don't tell me!

2005/3/2 9:03Profile

Re:

"Mass crusades, to which I have committed my life, will never finish the job; but one on one will." Billy Graham

2005/3/2 9:11
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Philippians 1:18 - [i]"But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way...Christ is preached."[/i]

[b]Every way[/b] is good for me!

-Eli

2005/3/2 14:04Profile
Holyhands

Re:

One thing that really impressed me when i was finding out a bit more about Billy Graham. He used to talk to the churches and get there support before starting any sort of events! I think it is key that there is back up after the events and a follow up system to help after any response! Just to encourage and put them in contact with local churches. Nimble i think that is important for you if you are to put on an "EVENT"

2005/3/3 8:30Profile

REVIVAL is confused with EVANGELISM!

REVIVAL is confused with EVANGELISM!

From When God Stepped Down From Heaven
By Rev. Owen Murphy

Heaven-sent revival is not religious entertainment where crowds gather to hear outstanding preachers and musical programs; neither is it the result of sensational advertising—in a God-sent revival you don't spend money on advertising; people come because Revival is there! Revival is an "awareness of God" that grips the whole community, and the roadside, the tavern, as well as the church, becomes the place where men find Christ. Here is the vast difference between our modern evangelistic campaigns and true revival. In the former, hundreds may be brought to a knowledge of Christ, and churches experience seasons of blessings but as far as the community is concerned little impact is made; the taverns, dance halls, and movies are still crowded, and godlessness marches on. In revival, the Spirit of God like a cleansing flame sweeps through the community. Divine conviction grips people everywhere; the strongholds of the devil tremble and many close their doors, while multitudes turn to Christ!

2005/3/3 9:09

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy