SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hurricane Sally and Evangelism...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
warriorofgod

Hurricane Sally and Evangelism...

So what does a natural disaster and evangelism have in common? A lot more than you think when you consider the environment that an evangelistic opportunity can produce sometimes and when you combine that with a selfless act of courage to save someone ones life. One such person did that according to one ABC news article. A man by the name of Jon Candelaria, was in his apartment looking out of his window when he noticed a man stuck in a taxi slowly becoming over flowed with water. He quickly got dressed and bolted out there to help the man in some not-so-warm clothes. When asked what was on his mind, here are some of the statements that he made:

"It was so dangerous but it didn't even matter to me. All that mattered was, not even my own life, but just getting this guy out of the car and saving his life. That's all that mattered."

“I thought about my daughter and I told myself, if anything was to happen to me, I know my family could take care of her. I know that for a fact."

"I wasn't trying to be a hero, I just couldn't watch a man die in front of me. I wouldn't be able to live with myself for the rest of my life, knowing I could've done something and I didn't do it...For me that was my life-changing event."

It is said that later on the two took a quick picture together and parted ways not even knowing each other’s name. What an astounding story of courage and sacrifice! The unfortunate part is that many don't realize that is exactly what we are called to do as Christians.

When you parallel the story with what the Bible teaches concerning preaching the gospel, we can see that there are many things that are similar. There are millions of people in the world stuck and trapped in their own sin, and are just waiting to die. And as Christians, we are called to look out the windows of our spiritual eyes and behold them drowning before us, and are to do something about it! We might not be able to save every person (because that is Gods job), but could you really watch someone die on front of you knowing you could've done something, but didn’t?

When you consider some risks of evangelism, some become fearful because of their own inability, or because of the challenge by the person whom they are going to engage with, or maybe the hostile environment in which they will place themselves in by simply making the step to preach the gospel. But when you consider most excuses that people make as to why they “can’t” witness, and compare that with the terrible condition and fate of all sinners, and the fact that God has commanded us to do it, every fear should be swallowed by love. When Jon considered what he was getting himself into, he said that he understood that it was dangerous, but that didn't matter to him. He plainly stated that his own life was not what mattered, but the life of the man in the car.

When you analyze the attitude of Jon to save someone’s life, you will see that there is no mention of God, no mention of trusting Him to save someone else or himself from this danger, and no mention of trusting Him to take care of his family (although it is very posibble that the media left that part out). I am not minimalizing the amazing sacrifice that this man accomplished, but from a biblical perspective, these were all humanistic reasons to try and save someone’s life. But when you consider the Christian's calling, we are commissioned by God to save lives, to run the risk of losing our own lives to save others from hell, and trust God with the results, not our own strength. What a calling! But it seems as though that calling is no longer as glamorously heroic to most, and some would rather risk their lives (if that) to save a man from drowning, but few are they that will risk their lives, reputation, or comfort to preach an eternal, life saving gospel to a dying generation who are going to hell for eternity.

Article found here: http://news.yahoo.com/man-saves-mystery-cabbie-during-storm-205904928--abc-news-topstories.html

2012/11/4 12:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy