SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : carnal mind

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re: stevet83

Hi stevet83 If you consider yourself reformed you are Augustinian.

edit:ps I do not say this as an insult but rather as a fact, The reformers where heavely influenced by Augustine they quote Him as scripture.

2012/11/4 14:26Profile
stevet83

Re:

Your wrong bro, I'm not an Augustinian, what he says does not shape my faith, the word of God does

I never quoted him

2012/11/4 14:31Profile
proudpapa

HI stevet83 , Do you consider yourself reformed ??

2012/11/4 14:37Profile
stevet83

Re:

No I do not, I don't hold alliegence to no man or denomination. I live and die for Christ and His word

2012/11/4 14:42Profile
proudpapa

Hi Stevet 83, I apologize for labeling you as such, I came to this impression when you wrote

///You can always tell who the reformers are(brothagary). I'm gonna piggyback your statement a little, hope you don't mind./// http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=47287&forum=36&start=70&viewmode=flat&order=1

and than went on and declared doctrine almost point by point in agreement with reformed theolgy.

Edit PS stevet83 wrote ///I live and die for Christ and His word/// Wounderful way to label oneself

2012/11/4 14:51Profile
Croref

Re:

by murrcolr on 2012/11/4 11:24:43

Our new make up:

One soul __ours

One flesh __ Ours

One Nature __ His ... that our flesh wars against for supremacy over our soul

---------------------

I guess this part?

Ah, OK. Question: Does not the "Word", as was in Jesus while on earth, enter us when we are born again? Think about that before making a distinction between Nature and Spirit when considering what we possess when born again--if indeed you believe our old nature has been crucified.

2012/11/4 15:02Profile
stevet83

Re:

The problem is instead of you asking me from the start u tried to disprove something I wasn't pushing. My piggybacking was his statements about scripture. You can disagree with what I have to say about scripture, that does not make what I say wrong, nor you'rs right.

2012/11/4 15:05Profile
proudpapa

Hi stevet83 I except your exhortation.

2012/11/4 15:09Profile

Re: carnal mind

Quote:
1) "The carnal mind is enmity against God." Hostile, opposes, at odds, all these words do a fine job describing the relationship of the carnal mind/flesh and God.

2) "for it is not subject to the law of God." Due to the hostility the carnal mind/flesh does not obey the law of God.

3) "Neither indeed can be." This refers to ability. The carnal mind/flesh does not obey God's law nor does the carnal mind/flesh have the ability to.

The flesh cannot please God.

You keep talking bout Augustine, I am not familiar with what he taught.

You asked a question I answered it, according to you I am wrong. Oh well.Steve83

Hi Steve

I hope that you don’t mind me presenting something towards your above comments. I believe that in essence you are correct in your understanding but may lack one thing. For your benefit and others as is necessary I enclose a few articles that adequately explain the broad definition of the meaning of depravity, as it is understood in balance of Scripture. Also a few verses and my own explanation. When prodpapa says that reformed theology is Augustinian he is not taking into account the possibility that reformed theology is not a single entity. Anyway no ill will is intended. Any extreme understanding will always be just that. Augustine was extreme but their is a balance which lines up more reasonably with our experience in Christ.

C H Spurgeon

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/Human%20Inability.htm

Dr. R C Sproul

http://www.the-highway.com/fall_Sproul.html

John Piper

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/piper/depravity.html

Here are a few Scriptures which support the idea that a man’s efforts are tainted, depraved or else of no use to God.

Gen. 6:5; Job 15:14-16; Psa. 130:3; 143:2; Prov. 20:9; Eccl. 7:20; Isa. 64:6; Jer. 13:23; John 3:19; 8:34, 44; Rom. 3:9-12; 6:20; 8:8; 2 Tim. 2:25-26; Tit. 3:3; 1 John 5:19; Jam. 3:8; 1 John 1:8;

Here are a few Scriptures which show that a man cannot believe in God, come to God and generally know God without God Himself drawing or else changing that man from within.

John 3:3-8; 6:65; 10:26; 12:37-41; Rom. 3:10-11

The Greek word used in Romans 8:7 is the word σάρξ translated sarx. The term means literally the physical body. Although ocassionally it is used to decribe the soul as well. As is this verse from Romans. In thinking about the pysical body it is needful to remember that the physical body is the ‘body of sin’ in Romans. So when Paul speaks of the ‘Law of Sin and Death’ in Romans he is speaking about a power which is in the physical body. Depravity as defined in the above articles is applied to the physical body and ‘only’ the soul to the extent that the soul (mind) is itself governed by the physical body. Given therefore that the ‘will’ is a function of the soul as well and is not of itself a physical thing, it makes it easier to understand that a man can ‘will’ to do good before God yet may still fail to do good. This is because the soul is not independant of the physical body with its lusts and sinful characteristics, (Except by the Cross) inclinations Indeed the law of sin and death. Not only this but even when a man is able to do something which would ordinarily please God this ‘good’ act or desire cannot justify that man and so the man still depends on God to give him the power to do that which is truly pleasing to Him and this is to believe on His Son. After belief and newness of life then the individual has the chance and an ability to please God always by not walking in the lusts of the flesh, but in newness of life. Everything hinges on this arrangement because this is God’s will. That no flesh shall be justified by the works of the Law. In the end Romans 8:7 could be sated as "the mind that is set (governed) by the flesh is hostile to God etc.". Or "the mind (will) which is set on the flesh is hostile to God etc.".

2012/11/4 15:43
Croref

Re:

by amrkelly on 2012/11/4 12:43:31

Sproul, Spurgeon, Piper all speaks volumes as to what theology you hang your hat on, amr.

I well recognize no one has a lock on ALL the truth but Jesus however, how about Chambers, Fromke, Nee, and Finney and co.? Were they OTL in your estimation? Why?

2012/11/4 16:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy