SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is it wrong to sing hymns composed by a mormon?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ZealForTruth

Is it wrong to sing hymns composed by a mormon?

I was recently wondering about this, given that Mormonism is a dead christian denomination, and the hymn I had in mind was made by a devout Mormon.

I was thinking that, as with prophecies, sermons etc, you have to judge everything with the word of the Lord and accept only what is good. On the other hand, does God really inspire people from dead christian denominations like Mormonism to glorify His name?

Please back up your opinions with Scriptures and not just state opinions. Thanks!

2012/11/2 18:25Profile
EverestoSama

Re: Is it wrong to sing hymns composed by a mormon?

Quote:
On the other hand, does God really inspire people from dead christian denominations like Mormonism to glorify His name?

Well here's the thing. Mormonism is not a dead Christian denomination, as there was never a time in history that it was a living Christian denomination, or any kind of Christian denomination. It's an antichrist denomination, that says Jesus is the spirit half-brother of Satan, son of a deified man from another planet created out of sexual union.

When Mormons worship god, it's not the God we know. It's a different god under the same name. We run into the same situation in John chapter 4 with the Samaritan woman. She basically said the same thing that Mormons (and Catholics) are saying today.

"Our fathers worshiped in this mountain, and you people say that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship."

The Samaritans worshiped God in a way that God deemed as false, in contradiction to His commandment as to where and how He was to be worshiped (which continues with even modern day Samaritans).

How did Jesus answer her when she was basically saying, "Look we both worship the same God, but in slightly different fashions"?

Deuteronomy 12 is an interesting read on this subject as well.

In the end, if you decide it is appropriate to use Mormon worship, consider likewise if you think it appropriate to sing Islamic songs about Allah to God, as they claim Allah and the Judeo God are one and the same (which they most certainly are not).

On the other hand though, we have Epimenides quoted twice by Paul in the New Testament, and once it was even used as an evangelical tool.

Epimenides wrote:

They fashioned a tomb for you, holy and high one,
Cretans, always liars, evil beasts, idle bellies. (quoted in Titus 1:12)
But you are not dead: you lives and abides forever,
For in you we live and move and have our being. (quoted in Acts 17:28)

Sounds familiar eh? Paul "redeemed" it as it were, even though it was originally written about Zeus in the 6th or 7th century B.C. He really only used it as a reference point though, and we only see it being used towards an audience that would have understood what he was quoting.

Several things to consider I suppose, though for myself personally, there are enough good songs and worship pieces that I would feel no need to even bother with trying to redeem a Mormon one.

2012/11/2 18:58Profile
stevet83

It's a disputable matter. If the words are true and your heart praises God, is that sin? It's a matter of concience.

All truth is God's truth.

2012/11/3 0:41Profile

Re:

Good answer everestosama.
zealforGod, I was raised in the Mormon church and was born again in my twenties into the Truth. Thankfully the believing Christian church I entered was singing hymns of faith by the great hymn writers we know, plus scripture songs were being written when I came to Christ in the 70's.

Mormon hymns are often Christian hymns with a few changed lines emitting the important truths. Some hymns were written long ago before the "mormon' distinction was so embedded into their theology.

Several of their hymns are Christian in thought, but I personally don't sing the songs of my youth for there is such a rich heritage in true Christianity.

Mormons love for music, typified by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir () may have been their saving grace, for I grew up hearing the gospel in the Christmas hymns we all used to know so well, as well as a few songs that emphasized the Jesus in the Bible.

I've now of course run across 'Christian songs' that are biblically incorrect, so just remember to stick to the basics of the Word in the words rather than a great tune or a theologically poor message.

If you want to reach a Mormon, you can do it through music! Sad to say they deal with the "entertainment spirit" to the max, as Christians do oft times, focusing more on talent and emotion than on the message.

But, all that, to reiterate what everestosama states, their foundation was NEVER Christian and is based on good works and belief in a false prophet, but you must come in love to a Mormon, never in condemnation because they have been deceived and many for decades and generations, they are in prison and we are to visit the prisoners and speak the love of Christ to them. No matter how "good" a Mormon may look on the outside, there is a lost sinner there struggling with their "faith" in Mormonism, especially at the end of their lives.

Love in Christ,
Sister Leslie

2012/11/3 8:04
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
their foundation was NEVER Christian and is based on good works and belief in a false prophet, but you must come in love to a Mormon, never in condemnation because they have been deceived and many for decades and generations, they are in prison and we are to visit the prisoners and speak the love of Christ to them. No matter how "good" a Mormon may look on the outside, there is a lost sinner there struggling with their "faith" in Mormonism, especially at the end of their lives.

Some great responses. I have been involved in researching mormonism out of interest for awhile, and I know a friend Eli Brayley who is a missionary there to reach them. It is a system that really appeals to the flesh with their designs, perfection of everything, art and music. But as a brother pointed out these things appeal to the flesh so we can be deceived in this way.

I am of a firm conviction that true mormons receive a wrong spirit and they are anti-christ to the core. Therefore to sing their music would 100% not be recommended it would be no better to sing the quran or a hindu bajan. There is a false morality in their songs that appeals to the flesh also, with exhortations to godliness but it is not on the foundation of the true Jesus Christ.

With all that is happening towards the acceptance of mormonism in America, we must realize it is a false cult, it is not Christian, and it is antichrist.

2012/11/3 11:40Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

Quote:
their foundation was NEVER Christian and is based on good works and belief in a false prophet, but you must come in love to a Mormon, never in condemnation because they have been deceived and many for decades and generations, they are in prison and we are to visit the prisoners and speak the love of Christ to them. No matter how "good" a Mormon may look on the outside, there is a lost sinner there struggling with their "faith" in Mormonism, especially at the end of their lives.

Well said.

2012/11/3 18:49Profile

Re:

Amen. Eli Brayley is a friend Greg, as I go to the church here in Logan. He and Brad Scheelke have been witnessing to Mormons here for many years. Pray for all of us!
Love in Christ,
Leslie

2012/11/3 21:11
ZealForTruth

Re:

I like your answer EverestoSama. It actually made me think in a broader sense about denominations in general.

What about denominations like Catholisism and the Orthodox denomination? Or we can say christians denominations in general - are they living or dead? Because as we know, Jesus didn't come to make denominations and bring more religion, but rather to introduce faith under the new covenant. So would singing songs made by people from these denominations be correct, or only from non-demonimational people....and how can we know for sure then?

2012/11/5 23:44Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Seems to be your question has broader implications. The question asked limits one to songs composed by Mormans.

How about music composed by carnal Christians or ungodly people that write Christian songs? I would like to share an insight on this subject written by Robert Cottrill:(I do not know anything about this author but am familiar with the story shared)

"How can bad people produce good music? It’s a relevant question. Because not all wholesome, God-honoring music was produced by born again believers. That may be almost too obvious to state, but it is an important place for us to start. There are even fine hymns, true to Scripture, written by unbelievers. For example, what do you think of the following lyric?

All hail to Thee, Immanuel, we cast our crowns before Thee;
Let every heart obey Thy will, and every voice adore Thee.
In praise to Thee, our Saviour King, the vibrant chords of heaven ring,
And echo back the mighty strain: All hail! All hail! All hail Immanuel!

All hail to Thee, Immanuel, our risen King and Saviour!
Thy foes are vanquished, and Thou art omnipotent forever.
Death, sin and hell no longer reign, and Satan’s pow’r is burst in twain;
Eternal glory to Thy name: All hail! All hail! All hail Immanuel!

D. R. Van Sickle wrote that hymn in 1910. Not only was he an unbeliever at the time, he wrote the song specifically to prove you don’t need to be a Christian to write a hymn! But some years later, by God’s grace, a strange thing happened. Van Sickle was in a church service when the choir sang his hymn, and the Lord used it to bring him under conviction and he got saved!

There are other examples that could be cited, but this one surely makes the point. So, how is it that bad people can make good music?

END OF QUOTE.

I personally evaluate a song by sound and then the content - many do it in reverse order, but this is me. The sound should complement the content. If it sounds like the devil screeching, forget it - I do not care for the lyrics. The content and music should complement each other.

Whether the composers are godly I have no clue - I do not have the resources to research this question so I will judge a song by what I am hearing it say.

You wanted Scripture and not opinion...I can find no scripture that bears directly on this issue other then the one that addresses false teachers who will use great words to entice the Believers.

Personally, I will not sing a gospel song that I know for a fact to have been composed by an ungodly person - there are too many others one can sing - one is not deprived by these self-imposed limitations.

2012/11/6 10:55Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I personally evaluate a song by sound and then the content - many do it in reverse order, but this is me. The sound should complement the content. If it sounds like the devil screeching, forget it - I do not care for the lyrics. The content and music should complement each other.

I am personally not against listening to any music. But to brand a music as Christian or Godly music, I use a similar criteria as yours. I have already told it in another forum on music. I brand a music as Godly or Christian only when the music (instrumental and tune) is there to complement the lyric and not the other way around.

2012/11/6 11:14Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy