SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Developing a new ministry & business to support it

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Developing a new ministry & business to support it

It's always been my vision to develop a christian recovery ministry that ministers to the whole man. While running a halfway house in wichita, I built a woodworking shop in a garage behind the house & taught wood working to the residents as I ministered to their spiritual lives. I truly believe God has given me 2 ideas to support both myself & ministry, & teach the residents I'm working with a trade. First though, type my username into your search window: getrealwithgod & you will find over 1,000 entries directly related to me personally. It's my first concept to launch a line of products using my user name: GRWG or GetRealWithGod the same way the WWJD? developed. The second is to build a small factory building picket fence panels of all sizes & types that bolt to a concrete footer & one another to form one continuous fence. With all of the new construction going on it should be no problem to sell these fence panels. Pray that God will raise up someone to believe in both my business concepts & my concept of ministry to back the work financially & be a partner in both.
Wayne
getrealwithgod

2005/2/27 20:01Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: Developing a new ministry & business to support it

Wayne,

I HAD to reply to your post. I am somewhat in the same 'area' you're in right now. I am looking at purchasing 38.09 acres in my area to be used just as you are describing, a place for making disciples of those the Lord saves off of the streets through the ministry He has me doing now ([url=www.openarmsinc.com]Open Arms Ministries, Inc.[/url]) and at the same time using woodworking (I've worked with wood my whole life and am planning to go through a local junior college's woodworking courses with the end of being able to train others as we disciple them) and gardening (to be sold at our local farmer's market every Tuesday).
I know I'm rambling a bit, but would love to communicate with you more on your vision to do what you feel the Lord has placed on your heart.

2005/2/28 12:54Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re:

Good to hear from you Bro. I've worked in about every kind of program you can name over the years, even secular, & I've come to realize only one thing works in recovery; establishing your own very real relationship with a very real God, & allowing that relationship to influence every area of your life. You always neesa storefront ministry somewhere to make contact with people who really want to get their lives back on track & headed where God wants it to go. You always want your residential recovery program somewhere else. You'll end up with another mission with a hot & a cot for bums who have no intention of getting there lives straightened out otherwise. You have to be wise as a serpent when you're dealing with these people to decide who's sincere & who's not. You have to know how to catch people off guard & get them involved in a normal conversation so you can see where their priorities are. It's never enough to just help them get a relationship started with God & send them back out into the streets. They need to be discipled & taught how to make it in the real world. They need to be relocated once their discipleship training is over. You never want to send them back out into the same streets again. There has to be a halfway house in still a third area somewhere. The best program is the one Jesus Himself set up. he never sent out one disciple to do anything. He always sent them out in twos to keep each other honest. The ideal setup would be three couples who feel the same call to do what the church is supposed to do themselves. Let one couple run each phase of the three step program, & let them have some kind of a business established to support themselves & their phase of the program. Eventually you would have @ least two couples involved together in each phase of this three step program. I'm expecting a financial miracle soon. Satan has hindered it, but someone is working to get this miracle released soon.

2005/2/28 18:05Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: Thanks for the input

Wayne,

I hear you, bro. I've been doin gthis for about 3 years now...1 and a half full time. I don't have a place (yet) and I couldn't agree more with what you said about becoming another mission just doing what so many are already doing. I believe God has us in a unique place in a unique time for a unique purpose. I have told my team from the beginning, "We aren't a humanitarian mission. We are desiring to provide a spiritual response to the the spiritual situation that is around us."
Sure we help people as we feel the Lord leading us to, giving to him who asks because "Freely you have received, so freely give." But that is not the primary concern.
The primary concern is one of the heart. Bottom Line

My vision is to have a place in the city (for Bible Studies, meetings, like you said, a store front to interact with people) and a place outside the city (the 38.09 acres I previously mentioned...It happens to be called 'Hope Ranch'...hmmm) for discipleship and then re-introducing them back into 'society' as productive members, thereby bieng an example to the city.

Again, would continue to appreciate any feedback you could provide.
And 'Amen' about the financial miracle. I don't have two pennies to rub together but I am convinced that this is the direction God is leading us and woke up the other morning (Saturday) with the assurance that God had it all worked out.

2005/2/28 18:21Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re:

So you're in california then. I'm in the Texas panhandle right now. It's funny really because another minister prophesied to me that my final destiantion would be in rolling hilly country just like the country I'm in right now. It's a good place for a residential program because land is cheap out here. There are a few major cities within 100 miles of me in every direction too. The amazing thing is every other phase of the vision my friend saw for me has been fulfilled except this one; & it took someone stealing my home out from under me when my exwife died to get me here. My present wife & I are both from Baton rouge, La. here we are together again 900 miles from home. She was here when I got here. We hadn't seen each other since the 4th grade. Both of us are over 50. We found each other again in a church here, & she normally wouldn't have been @ that church. I'm praying hard because this fits the bill my friend gave me for my final destination to a T. he said id be living between a church house & a walled in or fenced in area in rolling hilly country. I haven't seen that place yet, but it well may be near here somewhere.

2005/2/28 18:30Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re:

I did country gospel concerts in the streets & preached there for years myself. Met a lot of people during that time that really wanted to get their lives straightened out, but I couldn't get churches in my area interested in helping me start a ministry for them. They weren't interested in anything that wouldn't benefit their church.In fact, when I got several people involved in my church & had to leave to work in another program for a while, they ran them off. so much for the agape love of Jesus :-D

2005/2/28 18:36Profile
dohzman

something to consider

Brothers I understand the heart that yearns to get people saved and trained and being productive in society---being salt and light in life. Thats on the mark. BUT--- once you move over into a for profit buisness you'll just open yourself up for dissapointment and trouble.A buisness has to make a profit , even though its a christian buisness and should operate in christian principles , you'll have trouble and should keep the buisness aspect seperate from the ministry and the vocational aspect of this work.I could write a book from the hearts of many Godly buisnessmen as well as having been in buisness for myself for many years before going into ministry.At present I still have some buisness interests out there.To mix the two is a very serious mistake and seldom works. However if you start a buisness and the Lord prospers it and out of that buisness you fund a ministry that also provides vocational training thats do-able.Or if you start a ministry that has vocational retraining and seperate from the ministry you run a buisness that supports you and the ministry, Praise God. But never the two shall cross, too much conflict of interest.

2005/2/28 19:15Profile
disciplejosh

Southern California

Re: something to consider

Hey Dohzman,
Appreciate all the input that's offered. I have a non-profit and am not looking to 'make' any money, just being obedient to what the Lord wants.
Definitely appreciate your wise counsel and will take it into the closet. Pray for us as we seek the Lord and stay walking with Him, focused on Him and yoked together with Him in where we are and what He has allowed us to be used in. What a huge blessing you are, sharing your advice. Thanks, brother.

Would really appreciate the family to lift up Open Arms as we are desiring to see God show Himself strong here in Escondido, Ca.

2005/2/28 21:22Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
My vision is to have a place in the city (for Bible Studies, meetings, like you said, a store front to interact with people) and a place outside the city (the 38.09 acres I previously mentioned...It happens to be called 'Hope Ranch'...hmmm) for discipleship and then re-introducing them back into 'society' as productive members, thereby bieng an example to the city.

brother and sisters at SI. I have been able to meet with and be-friend brother Josh and see what he is doing in Escondido. My heart has been totally a part of what he is doing and I do ask you all to pray for Josh Olson and the Open Arms Ministry that is would continue to be fruitful to God and these plans to expand and have facilities for the homeless go to!

My heart is thrilled when I think of what God is doing 8-)

and toward the main topic of the thread I firmly believe that ministry does NOT need business to fund it but rather if the call of God is there to start the ministry God will supply the need. The person involved with ministry must have his/her entire heart and devotion in that cause.

2005/2/28 22:50Profile
getrealwithg

littlefield, tx

Re:

You can delete my membership here. I've heard enough. I've been actively involved in one form of street ministry or another for 25 years, & you can't get the support you need because believers won't obey God & help with any kind of work outside the church. If a street ministry is going to maintain the independence it needs to be totally successful for God's kingdom, then it has to be self supporting for that very reason, because believers won't obey God & support those works.
Wayne
getrealwithgod

2005/3/1 9:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy