Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hebrews 4:14-16

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Hebrews 4:14-16

Here is another quick weekly assignment for the hebrews class at Calvary Chapel Bible School:

---

[b]Come Boldy[/b]
[i]by Greg Gordon[/i]

“Having then a great High priest, who hath passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we have not a high priest that cannot be touched with the felling of our infirmities; but one that hath been in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore draw near with boldness unto the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy, and may find grace to help us in time of need.” – Hebrews 4:14-16

This passage of Hebrews chapter 4 verses 14-16, bring out one of the main points of the writing of this epistle. As Andrew Murray states that this passage, “is preparing the way for what is the great object of the Epistle-the exposition of the heavenly priesthood of the Lord Jesus, and the work He has by it accomplished for us.” It is worth while noticing the words that the Holy Spirit uses in this text towards calling us to come to and be aligned with our High Priest; hold fast, draw near, may receive mercy, may find, etc. The clarion call is being given to us that we have a high priest that can be reached and who can help us, let us never doubt this.

It is interesting that this passage of scripture begins with the word ‘having’ which points to the fact that we possess a great high priest, namely Jesus. We have a Jesus to our possession that was in the heavens and came to earth, but now resides in heaven to be our help and God. We who partake and have of His Spirit have a heavenly gift in us, Jesus bringing heaven into our hearts being called the Kingdom of God. This fact alone should make every believer in Christ stand fast in what they have been called to. We are exhorted to ‘hold fast our confession’ you might ask confession of what? Newell states, “First, that Jesus is the Son of God; second, that as the Son of God He is our Great High Priest; and, third, that He has put away, at the Cross, all our sins forever; and fourth, that, raised from the dead, He passed through the heavens.” I also believe that ‘our confession’ speaks not just of words being spoken once but a whole dedication to live for the one that came from heaven Jesus Christ. Those who have followed Christ through the years have been given many names by the world, Christians being one of them but also repenters and dare I say confessors. We are those who have made the confession that enables us to partake of the heavenly nature and become like God. So we ‘having’ our possession of Christ because of ‘our confession’.

The next verse of Scripture starts with ‘for’ which ties into the last truth given stating that we do not have an advocate with the father that is foreign to who we are what and what we go through. But He became identified with all that we are and do, yet Jesus never sinning while partaking of our human infirmities. What an amazing fact that Jesus was touched with the feeling of our infirmities, our struggles, our besetting sins, He knows all about them yet conquered them all and is able to provide consolation to us who struggle under them. It’s a wonderful truth that God has been touched with all of ‘our’ infirmities not just a few. Charles Spurgeon the great English preacher in one of his sermons gives a great mental picture of this fact: “Note again, ‘the feeling of our infirmities.’ Whose infirmities? Does not “our” mean yours and mine? Jesus is touched with the feeling of your infirmities and mine. You, my venerable brother, and you, my younger sister; you who have come hither from a new-made grave, and you that will return to a bed shortly to be emptied of your dearest one; you that are slandered, and you that are sick; you that can scarce hold up your head for sadness, and you that are distracted with fear: He is ‘touched with a feeling of our infirmities.’ I do not know how you feel it, but the text draws me very near to all of you who are under infirmities even as I am. We nestle together in that little word, ‘our.’ We meet in hospital ward of that other word, ‘infirmities.’ The best of all is, that Jesus meets us all there, and is touched with the feeling of the infirmities, not only of renowned divines in their pulpits, and of great saints in their closets, but with ‘our’ infirmities-even ours, who are ‘less than the least of all saints.’” How can not anyone who reads this feel that they have been given grace and mercy by the blood of Jesus shed on the cross of Calvary. What a gracious God we serve who not only forgives us of our sins but also shares in our infirmities.

The last verse of this passage begins with ‘let us therefore’ speaking of an action that should be our conclusion in light of all the truth given in the prior verses. And what is this action? It is simply to draw near to our heavenly advocate. But not only draw near but to do that boldly knowing that we are freely accepted into his presence. Vincent explains the meaning of this phrase in the original language more adequately: “The phrase come boldly expresses a thought which the Epistle emphasizes-that Christianity is the religion of free access to God.” This free access is all because of the provision and sacrifice of our Great High Priest Jesus Christ the Son of God. Pastor Jon Courson shares another great insight in the original language in these words: “The Greek word translated ‘may’ does not mean ‘might.’ It means ‘will.’ Thus, this is not an invitation to ‘come boldly and we’ll see how you’re doing.’ No, it’s to ‘Come boldly and you will obtain mercy and find grace.’” This verse now turns into not just a wonderful commandment but a wonderful promise. It is a picture of what really Christ Jesus has done for us turning the old written law that brought death into a new a living law written on our hearts by faith. All the old commandments becoming promises in Him who calls us heavenward to partake of Him.

This whole passage personally has been a great inspiration of mine knowing that I can enter into the presence of God boldly through the work of Christ and by His bloodshed. With this great assurance I have come boldly to the throne of God and have seen many miracles happen in my life seeing the supernatural workings of God become a reality.

2005/2/27 18:44Profile
rookie

Re: Hebrews 4:14-16

Br. Gregg wrote:

Quote:
I also believe that ‘our confession’ speaks not just of words being spoken once but a whole dedication to live for the one that came from heaven Jesus Christ. Those who have followed Christ through the years have been given many names by the world, Christians being one of them but also repenters and dare I say confessors. We are those who have made the confession that enables us to partake of the heavenly nature and become like God. So we ‘having’ our possession of Christ because of ‘our confession’.

Romans 10:

8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Amen.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/3/1 10:58Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy