SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anxiety Attacks

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Spitfire

Anxiety Attacks

I'm wanting to know what you all think on the subject of the highly publicized, so called, "anxiety attack". You know, there are so many medications out there now for this. My question is this: Do you all think it is possible for someone to be afraid to the point of panic and not know what it is they are afraid of? My mom is having so called anxiety attacks and says she doesn't know why. I don't see how it is possible to be afraid and not know what it is you are afraid of if you are truly honest with yourself. Sometimes it might take a little while to pinpoint one's specific fear, but I've never been unable to identify it when I spent some time examining my own heart. Isn't fear or faith established from our thought life? Whachall think?

2005/2/27 16:59Profile
moreofHim

Re: Anxiety Attacks

I don't have much time to respond to this right now, but...

I have had and still do have occasionally panic or anxiety attacks. Once you have one, there is always the fear of having another. When you have fear, your mind and body respond. Your body responds by having a rapid heartbeat, sweaty palms or just getting hot. You may feel light headed and dizzy because it feels like your world is spinning. You may feel like you are going to die (you don't know why, you just do)The fact is that you feel 'out of control' . Like you don't have control over your self or your body and the fear is overtaking you.

It is a horrible situation. I do not take medication because the Lord has helped me. I am learning to rely on his word to overcome fear.

But the fact is, once you have an attack like that where you feel those bodily feelings i described, one of the biggest things that makes fear or anxiety worse , is that you fear that you will experience this again-- which of course , makes it all worse. It is like a vicious cycle.

Fear (in general) is the root of all this.

Got to go, but be back later. :)

In Him, chanin

2005/2/27 19:33Profile
Spitfire

Re: Anxiety

Hey Chanin. My biggest thing concerning the anxiety attacks is this: I believe if we could pinpoint the exact fear, then we can deal with it from the word. For instance, fear of death is addressed much in the word. I want to help my mom learn to rely on God's word to take her beliefs from. Love, Dian.

2005/2/28 5:32Profile
Paulus

Celbridge Kildare Ireland

Re: Panic Attacks

Pastor Carter Conlon covers this in his testimony. He suffered terribly. I just cant recall the name of the message but I owuld say it would help your mum no end.

Paul

2005/2/28 7:53Profile

Re:

I have had panic attacks many times and the experience is similar to that described below although it does vary. Because it has happened to me so many times I have learnt over a long time to realise that it is just a physical feeling and that it will go away and it always does. I can honestly say that sometimes there is no logical reason for it and it doesn't seem to be linked to anything and sometimes I know that it is a kind of delayed reaction to something I have been majorly stressed about, sometimes even weeks before and sometimes I believe it is some kind of spiritual attack and if I rebuke it out loud then it goes away. I have and am still learning to give myself to God and receive His peace at times like this. For me, learning to cast myself upon Him is the only thing that has really made a difference as it is not always a case of mind over matter or pulling yourself together you just have to fully lean on Him and His peace does come.

Don't know if this is helpful at all.

2005/2/28 8:35
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Quote:
if I rebuke it out loud then it goes away.

I'm not an expert on this subject but when it comes to fear and panic attacks etc. I am prone to believe them to be demonic. Like our brother said in his last post (above) it can go in the Name of Jesus. Remember that perfect love casts out all fear, and demons breed fear, it is their favorite weapon for when we fear we take our eyes away from Christ.

From testimonies of other people, taking medication will only make the problem worse. It may help for a time, but the aftershocks will create worse effects. Sometimes even going on the drug will make it worse. A friend of mine can testify to this.

My father always encourages us to never take medicine but wholly rely upon God. This is nothing less than difficult as it tests your faith and your physical ability, but in the end you will always come out stronger, in faith and in body, because the Lord will deliver, as He as promised, and it is His promises that never fail.

In Christ,
-Eli

PS- Medicine is not bad or a sin! But how much better to trust in our King.

2005/2/28 10:25Profile
moreofHim

Re: deleted post

O, o, o, i had almost finished this long post and was checking it to look for errors and accidently deleted it. o , i hate when that happens! :-x

Maybe when i get more time later today i will retype it but I've got things to do. sorry.

here's somethings to chew on for a while though:

"There is no trial that has overtaken you, but that which is common to man."1 Cor. 10:13

Other's, other christians face these same problems everyday. it is not unusual. We have a sympathetic high priest who understands. we are not alone. He knows our heartache and our pain. But through it all, by the grace and power of God, He can cause us to stand. Stand and not fall.

"perfect love casts out fear". Love is stronger than fear. love is capable off knocking fear out on it's behind. Love is so busy doing today's tasks that it has no time to worry about tommorow. Fear focuses on tomorrow, or the what-if's. Love focuses on others.

The root of most fear is selfishness.

Back for more later.... :)

In his love, chanin

2005/2/28 11:53Profile
jeremyhulsey

Hi Spitfire,

I can sympathise with your mom because when I was in the 2nd grade I suffered from anxiety attacks. They are truly irrational and unexplainable. I am also truly doubtful that in most cases it's a spiritual attack, but rather chemical. Although it can have a spiritual effect on your life and a negative one at that if you don't have faith in God.

2005/2/28 12:53Profile

Re:

Hello Spitfire,

I have a little background in Psychology, so I wanted to comment...it may be of some comfort to know that panic attacks are very common - most psychologists agree that panic attacks are cognitively based. In other words, panic attacks are generally caused by maladaptive thoughts patterns.

People who experience panic attacks generally have "elevated anxiety sensitivity". So, they "misinterpret arousal-related bodily sensations because they believe the sensations to have harmful consequences such as death..." I don't think these attacks are necessarily spiritual in origin - at the same time I believe that the enemy can use various tactics to discourage us.

The good news is that people can train themselves to think differently (respond to stimuli differently) thereby eliminating the cause of the attack. And of course we must not forget that God can heal anyone of anything...I believe that the spiritual exercises of prayer and Bible study would go a long way (even to the point of eliminating the problem) in helping people like your grandmother.

And yet God has also provided us with tremendous resources for helps in these areas. If, at any time, these attacks become so problematic that they impair your grandmother's functioning then i think it would be wise to pursue some kind of help.

Anyway, I hope that was helpful - I meant it to be encouraging anyway...I'll had her to my prayer list. God bless you!

2005/2/28 13:43
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I had a very strong allergy to my cat's dander - but I didn't know it. Allergies (as opposed to allergic reactions) generally come in three flavours: an itchy rash, runny eyes and nose, or congestion in your lungs. Of the three, congestion in your lungs is invisible -- and it was the congested lung variety I had. I looked normal, but my longs became increasingly congested.

We had the cat for a couple of years, and every day, I got worse. My wife became pregnant with our first (we have three now), and because of toxiplasmosis (a disease that can pass through cat feces to unborn babies) my wife could not change the litterbox. As soon as I started doing the litter box, my health began to deteriorate quickly. One day, my wife turned our mist humidifier up too high, and we woke up in the morning, and I could barely breath.

I went to a walk in doctor, and he believed I had double pneumonia. He prescribed an antibiotic kit to take then and there, and also a take home prescription. Two weeks later I was back in his office worse off than when I had left! He noticed that I was wheezing like crazy, and on a hunch, gave me a coricosteroid asthmatic puffer to try. I gave it a puff, and found that it really helped my breathing. He decided that I had "adult-onset" asthma, and prescribed a steroid inhaler, and a rescue inhaler.

Now, because I didn't really have asthma, the long term puffer didn't do anything - but by using the rescue puffer, I could breath easier. However, one of the known side-effects of this particular steroid was anxiety attacks.

I didn't know what an anxiety attack was, and I hadn't read the side effects very carefully - so when I experienced one, I was pretty freaked out! I had no idea what was going on.

Note: It was not that sudden irrational fear came upon me - it was that I experienced a light-headed, drug-induced "rush" that I could not explain. Attacks like this, I found out later, could last for just a few seconds or even for hours! The sensation itself would not have been so frightening if I understood what was going on - but all I knew was that something was clearly 'wrong' with my mental state - and furthermore - and perhaps more significantly - that I was entirely helpless to do anything about it!

Having no idea what was happening to me - I reasoned that I must be dying, since this is pretty much what I would expect dying to be like - an unwanted and uncontrolable deterioration of my cognitive grasp on reality. Reasoning that I was likely dying was more terrifying than the sensation itself - I wasn't saved at the time. But as suddenly as it had come on, it was gone. However, having done nothing to bring it on, I had absolutely no assurance that this was a one timer - in fact, I was quite concerned, reasoning to myself that whatever it was - there was no assurance that this was going to be a one-timer. I was therefore somewhat worried that it might happen again.

Like most people, I tried to associate this effect with a probable cause. In this case, I was eating a pasta meal in a restaurant. I thought, maybe I had eaten something that did it. The next time I had one, it lasted longer, and happened at lunch time. Perhaps it was fountain drinks? The next time I was in a restaurant again - but this time it didn't last just a few minutes - but it seemed to go on and on. I was terrified.

Like I said, the fear wasn't irrational - I think it was a pretty natural response suddenly finding yourself in an uncertain, but clearly altered state of consciousness - and having no way of stopping it. The fear is that it will continue indefinitely, or continue until it kills you or something.

When I did go to the doctor, he immediately decided that I was having panic attacks. I thought he was a fool. I wasn't causing these attacks by being flighty or afraid - I certainly wasn't disposed to panic for no reason at all - and the unwritten premise that I got from the doctor was - this is all in your head. Needless to say, I went to a more sympathetic doctor, and explained how the symptoms were entirely rational, and could in no way be in my head. He ordered a variety of tests that all came up negative - but I was unconvinced. This was not in my head. Of course, if I had been wise enought to research what exactly a panic attack was, I might have understood that I was actually having anxiety attacks.

It wasn't until long after the attacks stopped that I pieced it all together.

My breathing wasn't any better, so I decided to get tested for allergies - suspecting that I was allergic to the cat. Sure enough - I was --very-- allergic. We were living in a one bedroom condo at the time, so we were selling the condo anyway (to buy a house), and when we moved we got rid of the cat. The new house had all hard wood floors upstairs, and had never had a cat in it. In about three weeks I didn't need the puffer anymore, and the anxiety attacks simply stopped.

Whatever else happened - having no control over something like that - and in my case, not really knowing what it was - did not get me a lot of sympathy. After a month or so, my wife's family just assumed that I was faking it so that I could get off work. Other's felt I was having sympathetic pregnancy symptoms, etc. But one day, in the washroom I was reading the various boxes etc (you know, tooth paste labels and whatnot...) and picking up my old inhaler, I read the side effects - anxiety attacks.

That was when I figured out what had really happened.

Either way - in my life at least, it was clear that my attacks came as a side effect of a corticosteroid puffer.

I likewise encourage anyone who has to suddenly start taking one to get checked for allergies immediately!!

2005/2/28 14:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy