SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : corporal punishment

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

corporal punishment

What is the consensus on corporal punishment? Society seems to be it as harmful to kids and a form of child abuse. I mentioned it on a FB closed group I am a part of and one of the moderators of it sent me a link telling me of the 9 ways it harms kids. When I read it I couldn't help but think of liberal thinking. I was spanked when I was little and I saw kids get spanked at school which sent me a message of respecting elders. Seems society sees it as a form of child abuse.

I realize some people use the verse 'Spare the rod spoil the child' and some say it is child abuse while others say it isn't but yet some take this to the point that they beat a kid and shout this scripture while putting a bruising on them.

I am off the opinion that this form a punishment is a piece of the puzzle as to why kids these days are disrespectful to their elders.

Give me some input on this.

John

2012/10/23 16:37Profile
proudpapa

Re: corporal punishment

Proverbs 23
13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

biblical chastisement cleanses the childs soul from guilt as what Only the Cross will do once he reaches accountability.

2012/10/23 20:11Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

It seems that many people of this world say that corporal punishment/spanking is a form of "child abuse."

I like to point out that many of our grandparents and great-grandparents believed in spanking disobedient or unruly children. So, I ask them, "Were your parents child abusers?"

Most people don't want to refer to their grandparents or great-grandparents as "child abusers."

2012/10/23 20:39Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

What I believe has happened in this arena is that political correctness mentality has run it course and has taken that which was sacred and correct and labeled it as and evil thing or distorted it to seemingly show it is bad. This is a reason why society in America is where it is today.

When it comes to corporal punishment it seems so who are against cite kids who have severe bruising and using it as evidence to support their theory. It is the smoke and mirrors evidence.

I was spanked as a kid. Not alot but only when I needed it. To the anti crowd it seems I should fear my elders. Yeah, I fear them with a healthy respect just as someone should have the Fear of God and yet sadly that is gone.

THe person who brought this up to me leaned to scientific evidence against this practice. To this I thought, someone science has a hole in this and if I had the resources and I would seek to blow that hole wide open. I think if I was still working toward a psychology degree I would do it as a side project.

Why do I feel like this is just a little pet peeve of mine all of the sudden?

John

2012/10/23 21:07Profile
proudpapa

To Train up a child by michael and debi Pearl copyright 1994 by michael pearl Pages 44-45

Guilt
Guilt only occurs when one honestly judges himself to be worthy of blame.One may inappropriately be convinced of blame,but guilt is nontheless self-incrimination for preceived wrongdoing. Bad behavior causes guilt. So does rejection and ridicule,if the child becomes convinced that he is the one in the wrong.

Emotionlly unstable parents sometimes use guilt to manipulate their children. Parents who try to shame or humiliate their children into right behavior may see the child temporarily acquiesce.But, obedience performed out of desperation of guilt only deepens guilt,putting the child further out of touch with true repentance and healing.

Guilt is never in itself restorative. That is, it does not tend toward less blameworthy actions,for,though it directs the soul away from the activity causing the guilt,there is no strength or moral courage in guilt itself. On the contrary, the guilt-ridden soul is a slave to every temptation. Compounded guilt puts one out of touch with normal psychological restraints. The despair of accumulated guilt abolishes motivation to do right. The anguish of failure and the dread anticipation of it lowers one's expectations of self. Unresolved guilt lowers self-esteem to the point where one does not expect to do other than fail.

This reality has caused modern phychologist to view guilt itself as the culprit. To address guilt as if it were the disease is like dealing with the pain of a toothache but not the tooth.

Guilt is an essential part of our nature,moral self. Without it we would be like a smoke detector with no alarm. But guilt is only means to an end, a temporary condition. It's the soul's pain, as when we touch something hot,designed to give us warning,and a strong signal to change our actions.It is a great blessing to feel genuine guilt, both as a sighn of life and as a healthy response for the sin-sick soul.

Guilty souls who are resighned to their condition are often seen inflicting pain and suffering upon themselves. It is estimated that up to 15% of adolescents have deliberatly inflicted pain or wounds upon themselves. Some children are covered with scars; others have broken their bones. In some way,they are satisfying a need to suffer for their sins. This self-abuse is an unconscious attempt to pay the "fiddler." The conscience is indeliby imprinted with a conviction that sin deserves punishment. We intuitively know that wrongdoing not only deserves,but will one day face punishment. From the earliest awakenings of conscience, a child is in the grip of this reality a basic presupposition of life.

Guilt is the law's chief witness against the sinner. If guilt is not resolved, it will shackle the dammed in the eternal misery of their sins. like a zealous and fanatical prosecuting attorney, the conscience will not drop its case untill it is sure that justice has been done. A guilty soul is a soul that feels it deserves punishment equal to the offence. This is a psychological reality. The guilt-burden soul cries out for the lashes and nails of justice. That is why the soul ofr man never rest untill the conscience has been purged by a believing look at the bleeding, crucified Lamb of God.

Christians find release from guilt from through the Savior who suffered the curse of their sins, but their children cannot understand that the Creator has been lashed and nailed in their place. Yet, parents need not wait untill their children are old enough to understand the vicarious death of Christ to purge their children of guilt. God has provided parents with a tool to cleanse their children og guilt-the rod of correction.

I observed a small child who, upon being caught in a misdeed, turned her backside to her parents, pulled her diaper down, and gave herself three slaps on the bottom. The offering, though cute, was not accepted. The lawgiver must administer this kind of chastisement in order to effectively remove guilt. A child knows but one lawgiver-his parents.

Do not follow the modern philosophy of trying to eliminate guilt by fudging on the standards or by pumping the guilty child up with false self-worth. keep the standard high-as high as the person of Christ. Let the guilt come, and while the child is yet too young to understand,purge his guilt by means of the rod. When understanding finally comes, he will readily grasp the principles of the cross.

2012/10/23 21:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

My parents were spanked, as was I (I DID NOT like it one bit!), we spanked our children and they spank their children. Does not look like anyone feels it is abusive.

Oh, BTW, our boys are college graduates. Now go figure. Of course, some would say that since they graduated from a MS university, which is a hick state full of rednecks, that does not count! SIGH

I agree. You could have added they are disrespectful to most authority figures.

2012/10/23 21:54Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Show me a child that has never been spanked, and I will show you a child that needs to be spanked.

2012/10/24 0:24Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Double post. :)

2012/10/24 0:24Profile
proudpapa

Re: Miccah

RE: ///Show me a child that has never been spanked, and I will show you a child that needs to be spanked.///

that has to be the quote of the week!! short simple and full of truth

2012/10/24 0:29Profile

Re:

Fact: the Bible commands it.

Fact: some people cant do it properly or control their anger, therefore they need to find another way to discipline their children... and also deal with their own anger.

Fact: I often times can tell the difference between a child who is properly spanked... and children who are never spanked. The difference is night and day.

We actually have several friends who are apalled that we spanked our kids... and then 5 minutes later bemoan the fact that their kids are monsters... and ask why our's are usually well behaved good kids. Duh!

Krispy

2012/10/24 11:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy