SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Slandering God's Servants - SI Forums Note

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

There is often a fine line between slandering a man, and disagreeing with the man's position doctrinally. The nuances of doctrine that we often debate arise out of a man's understanding, and the simple fact that we find ourselves in disagreement means that either one of us, or perhaps both of us are wrong in our understanding of an issue.

If we find ourselves saying, "So and so is a heretic, or So and so is of the Devil", we are most likely treading into an area we should avoid. It is obvious that a man who would teach that Jesus Christ was not the Son of God and was not God in the flesh on this earth is teaching heresy. I don't think any would argue with that. But one man, such as J.G. Lake, said that sinners are annihilated in Hell, another says that sinners burn forever in eternal torment. This is not an issue of heresy, and we must be careful to discuss the issue without demeaning or slandering the man.

I disagree with some of my brothers and sisters on SI about some issues. So be it. This disagreement should not make me angry or cause me to become emotional in the discussion. It should simply point me to the fact that I need to study the Word more diligently and ask God to reveal truth to me. It has been, at times, an indication that perhaps I do not know the Word quite as well as I should. I state the way I believe it, and I listen to the reaction of my brothers and sisters to what I have said. But always I should remain in an attitude of love and humility.

My standing with God is not evidenced to the world around me by my total agreement on issues of doctrine. They shall know that I know the Father by the love that I have for my brethren. I know ministers whom I love, but I think they are out to lunch in some important areas (some doctrinally, some in maturity, some in both) and I would never recommend a person sit under their ministry. Yet, they are not heretics. They are in total agreement in the fundamentals, and I believe they are born again and my brothers and sisters in Christ. So, I walk toward them in love and do my best to walk that fine line between disagreeing with their position while trying not to slander their person.

Truly it is a fine line at times. But I believe an attitude of love and humility and a walking in the Spirit can allow us to discern between the two.

2012/10/24 9:45Profile
EverestoSama

Re:

As usual Brothertom, spot on.

2012/10/24 9:58Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

BT--

Why did you have to respond?

I don't get it.

2012/10/24 10:16Profile
notlongnow

Re:

Hmm, I have to agree with BrotherTom's first post on this issue. This forum has long confused me, sometimes being such a contradiction to all the godly sermons on here. I just cannot see how exposing clear false teaching is wrong? It may not be the aim of the forum, but still, I do not want to be found deaf and dumb when it comes to deception in the church. We are most certainly not called to. I for one do not want that on my hands.

I also agree that if this is the desire of the moderators, that they should perhaps reconsider the news items that get posted, as they do inevitably stir things up.

I am extremely concerned about the comments saying discernment ministries are not doing the will of God ?????

1 Corinthians 5: 12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

We live in a global society today. We are all lambasted with false teachings from half a world away wherever we may live, because of the internet. Does that mean we are not speak out against false teachers because they do not live in our particular 'local area'? Of course not.

I for one can live without this forum and do want anything to do with the dangerous territory it is dabbling in with these boundaries.

Not everyone who calls himself a 'servant of God' is one! Yet are seeming to be asked to blindly pretend everyone that claims that title is, and believe that it is so and not ask any questions! Jesus clearly told us to be on alert for the wolves amongst us.

Again I do not understand when there are multitudes of sermons on here preaching against that very kind of blindness and advocating being sober and using discernment.

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Exposing wickedness or false teaching is not slander. I think it is very dangerous to suggest so.

2012/10/24 10:29Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, it is true that we have obvious profits among us and obvious charlatans. we do not need a gift to disern these.what we need is someone with the gift of descernings of spirits(you know the one in the bible)because we wrestle not against flesh and blood.we need to allow folks that are on the front doing great things for God to be able to make mistakes like we all do and not be jumped.this is a spirit stemming from the accuser of the brethren(satan).beloved let us love one another...you might even cut joel some slack.jimp

2012/10/24 13:14Profile

Re:

Quote:
...you might even cut joel some slack

....naw.

Krispy

(just kidding!)

2012/10/24 13:18
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

I have often thought that it would be better to debate the issues (specific theological and doctrinal issues) rather than debating the man.

This way, we would avoid proclaiming a verdict and sentence that we think that God has in mind for a person who we disagree with.

2012/10/24 14:02Profile

Re:

Quote:
This forum has long confused me, sometimes being such a contradiction to all the godly sermons on here. I just cannot see how exposing clear false teaching is wrong?

You know Admin Greg, maybe it's time you shut down this forum for a week. A Sabbath of rest so to speak. Just for the postings in the forums, not the sites content, perhaps a rest from posting may help us from getting too involved. I do this all the time. Some may not be able to shut themselves down so the Sabbath Rest may help.

It's a worth a consideration and perhaps it could be done every once in a while.

2012/10/24 14:31
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Exposing wickedness or false teaching is not slander. I think it is very dangerous to suggest so.

Dear Brothers,

I agree it is biblical at times to expose false teachers but it matters how this is done. We do not endorse brothers who do this without love, without prayer, without being in a place of responsibility in God's kingdom. Some people in their basements post on the internet and slander anyone they disagree with including good servants of the Lord. This is not the type of ministry we endorse. "Some" are called to this and are men of God who practice what they preach.

The SI forums is not a place to allow this type of posting against everything that is false. Rather we feel to promote the old biblical gospel will be a light to the modern spurious choice. Some of the speakers do speak against false teachers and teachings but this is not the emphasis on the site nor ministry. Thus we ask brothers and sisters not to engage in this or use the forums as a personal pulpit to post against anything they disagree with.

To those that feel they must keep doing this on a consistent basis we ask them too move on from posting on the SI forums.

again our first post:

---

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I wanted to bring again this burden we have on SermonIndex to not sin with our mouths as we type messages in the forums that slander the names of God's servants. To me it is amazing that the enemy can convince so many Christians to speak ill of so many others in the body of Christ and not to busy about the work of the Lord. There is a lost world without Christ and we can argue over so many petty problems and not see our own sin in the meantime. Paul did speak out a few times in the New Testament towards a few individuals that opposed strongly the gospel or who were blatant false teachers.

Yet many of us can calmly and with calculated stroke blacken the name and character of a servant of God who perhaps does not see truth perfectly even and is still growing in grace. My wife brought this quote to my attention without any knowledge of my writing this small forum note: "I would rather play with forked lightning, or take in my hand living wires with their fiery current, than speak a reckless word against any servant of Christ, or idly repeat the slanderous darts which thousands of Christians are hurling on others." - A.B. Simpson

I write these things as reminder for myself firstly because we are all prone to judge others dear saints. I pray that the Lord would pour out His Spirit upon those who participate in the forums and that a beautiful unity and love for others would be expressed. God can make these forums a powerful testimony for His Name as we seek the best for Gods servants and to desire firstly inward purity in our private life's.

I want to also bring to attention the guiding principles for the forums and the point on slandering:

7. SLANDERING OTHERS - We have a zero tolerance on slander, evil-speaking and speaking against a person's character without warrant. 'Slander no one.' / 'to malign no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing every consideration for all men.' NASB (Titus 3:2). This is a very important biblical principle and we ask that you would especially respect the biblical method of approaching a brother privately (Matthew 18:15). Also there are hundreds of websites in the internet that exclusively post wrong teachings, errors and question the character of Christians, we do not want SermonIndex to be seen as such a ministry and ask that all forum members do not participate in posting in what is wrong. We believe simply that truth dispels errors and to focus on the truth will shine a light into all the darkness.

SermonIndex Community Guiding Principles
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44556&forum=13

Thank you for taking your time to read these things saints, there is such precious washing and cleansing in the blood of Christ for our sins. Christ was struck in the mouth for perhaps the sins of our mouths. May we have a holy reverence for our communication especially when speaking of Gods servants.

May we also pray for each other on the site, for I surely need these prayers to walk in ways that please the Lord (Ephesians 4:1) in this area of my life.

2012/10/27 21:29Profile

My dear brother Greg

i read your entreaty last night, Saturday, and felt it good to write to you on this Lord's Day, 28 Oct 2012.

in many ways, we 'grew up' together in this Most Holy Faith, and as brother, via this website, you, used by Messiah, as His servant, have given me many precious gifts, so many so, they only way i can "repay" you, is to always remember you and your new family thru prayer.

You "gave" me the teaching and exhortation ministries of both Duncan Campbell and Len Ravenhill, and this ministries have blessed and taught me, more than any human can know.

You thru Jesus have constructed a forum, and i have eyes too. i see everyday the men that just arent right, or religious institutions that just arent right.....and i could speak "out" all day long on these, but to what profit?

i'm in Luke this morning and there are a couple of Verses that just leap out at me.....that in my heart, buttress what you gently request:

"An argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest." Luke 9 and 46

Here, 12 men, so blessed to among Jesus in His earthly ministry, and they do what? argue, about which one of them is the "greatest".....millenia later, its rather sad to read of this...but they are like us, we jockey for position, and accuse, and divide.

Your request is not unwarranted, nor does it put shackles on any follower of Jesus.

Sure, there are many men and women forwarding things that are NOT of God, or FROM God, but further down in Luke 9, i read this:

"John answered, “Master, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he does not follow with us.” But Jesus said to him, “Do not stop him, for the one who is not against you is for you.”

Luke 9:49-50

Jesus has that threshing barn, where wheat will be sepearted from chaff....THAT is the "discernment ministry" of ALL such "ministries".

as for myself, i look around at this world today, or i look at this Faith, and then the exhortation of Paul comes to mind and heart:

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

this exhortation written by a dear saint under house imprisonment, i take to heart. i HAVE to, because i want to cleave to all the Good Things that Jesus is doing, each and every single day.

so i stand firmly with you, and i long for the day we can see each other. Prepare yourself for a good long, God willing, profitable discussion...your brother, neil witten in Jesus' Love.

2012/10/28 8:27

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy