SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where is the list of topics of what is allowed to be posted on the forums?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Where is the list of topics of what is allowed to be posted on the forums?

I am fairly new here and just had a post locked within moments of starting it...lol. My apologies brothers if politics causes some of you to become divisive. I don't have that problem and didn't intend to offend. To avoid this going forward, where is the list kept that we should not discuss, thanks.

Mark

2012/10/20 14:42
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Where is the list of topics of what is allowed to be posted on the forums?

Dear Brother,

You are not at fault in this at all, recently all the moderators have agreed to try and not allow really any extensive discussions on politics on SermonIndex because of the upcoming elections and the heated battles that can occur and do occur very easily even amongst good saints of God.

We had in a list of community rules an extenstive list of "what not to discuss" and when we updated the rules more to principles and ideas that list was taken out and just a few point were left. I added a sentence today about this:

"We have found that discussions pertaining to politics, conspiracy theories, calvinism/arminianism and others just produce strife and not the fruits of the Spirit so we ask saints not to start these discussion threads on SermonIndex."

this has been something the moderators daily tell people and share so for those who are on the site alot they know this through inference.

Here are the: SermonIndex Community Guiding Principles
http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=44556&forum=13

Thanks for understanding dear brother.

2012/10/20 14:49Profile

In the light of eternity there are very, very few things that amount to a hill of beans. This was the comment that got my link to christians voting locked.

So, where is the list of topics that are allowed in these forums...who decides what topics are worthy of discussion "in the light of eternity"?

Or should one post whats on their heart and wait and see if it is on the accepted list? Again I am very new hear and learning my way around.

2012/10/20 14:50
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Or should one post whats on their heart and wait and see if it is on the accepted list? Again I am very new hear and learning my way around.

Dear Brother,

Below each post there is these statements:

1. The site moderators ask you before you post that you consider praying and ask the Lord if you have the right spirit to serve others and edify others in the body of Christ before posting.

2. All our communication matters in the Lord and we ask that you consider that all our words will be accounted for by God one day: Matthew 12:36, James 1:26, Colossians 4:6.

These to me are very important that we post on here to serve others and put others before ourselves. I know many dear saints on here have that heart and express it wonderfully. Hence there will be unity, growth, encouragement and love shown in this online community.

I would personally like to not have to stop discussions on some of the before mentioned topics but feel over from 9 years of experience as the other moderators that good fruit just simply does not come from some topics of discussions.

Also in my mind it is a very high privilege to be able to post our "own thoughts" amongst the great thoughts of other godly saints from the past and therefore w should be careful that our discussions are edifying and when people from all over the world read them afterwards that they would sense God in them and be encouraged.

2012/10/20 14:57Profile

Re:

Got it brother Greg, no problems. My post seconds ago crossed with yours, but I understand what you are wanting to accomplish here.

I think though, that when you have a diverse group of people, just about anything can become divisive, but this creates an opportunity for each of us to see anothers point of view and we can learn to humbles ourselves.

If I walked into a room full of believers and brought up the subject of "should we vote or not vote?"...and I was shut down this quickly, I would probably walk right out again and find a more friendly environment:) Fortunately I know your heart and I cannot take this personally, but I hope you also see how these things can be perceived by visitors? Of course the heavy handed response from others would be to "go and start your own forum"...lol.

I agree and respect the moderators request to steer away from controversial topics, yet at the same time I wish there was a better way of enforcing this, rather than locking things down so quickly, as if you are dealing with little children? I don't have the answers but I do know we should always conduct ourselves with a gentle, Christlike spirit both online and in public.

Much love to you brother!
Mark

2012/10/20 15:01

Re:

Mark I apologize that my post hot your thread locked. That was not my intention. It was a call for us to respect tbe mods decision to not engage in discussions that do not bear fruit. I have had threads licked. It is not personal but only a means to preserve unity.

If I may offer a suggestion. One I am trying to incorporate. Pray before posting. Ask the Spirit if this will edify the body. If so then post. The mods give much freedom in what can be discussed as long as Christ is glorified.

Hope this helps. And welcome to Sermon Index. I look forward to reading your thoughts on tbe board here.

Bearmaster.

2012/10/20 15:15
Trekker

northern USA

Don't feel bad Mark, i had one locked yesterday too, for the same reason. It is understandable, especially at this time of year (elections).

2012/10/20 15:25Profile
sermonindex

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I think though, that when you have a diverse group of people, just about anything can become divisive, but this creates an opportunity for each of us to see anothers point of view and we can learn to humbles ourselves.

Brother, fully agree with you that almost every discussion has the potential for division so as you said we need to humble ourselves and love each other in each discussion. Thank you for your thoughts in this way.

Quote:
"go and start your own forum"...lol.

Some have started these! and perhaps that is even good fruit by some who have. I mentioned early in this week that SermonIndex forums is not a place for everyone to discuss. I am thankful for other forums that are especially towards a specific "niche" of discussion topic in Christianity.

Quote:
I wish there was a better way of enforcing this, rather than locking things down so quickly, as if you are dealing with little children? I don't have the answers but I do know we should always conduct ourselves with a gentle, Christlike spirit both online and in public.

Brother, in my experience this has to happen from time to time and usually it can be not anything against the person that started the thread. But rather even it can be a larger example to help gear future discussions. In the end my heart is to see the body of Christ universally encouraged, uplifted and for them to hear the whole counsel of God. I am so thankful for MANY contributions that dear brothers and sisters make and it is a daily encouragement in my own life.

Thank you for your thoughts brother, I encourage everyone to pray daily for SermonIndex I feel the more prayers that are towards this ministry the more the Holy Spirit works to even adjust people's attitudes on the forums without one word from a moderator or other brother or sister.

2012/10/20 15:29Profile

Re:

Hi brother Blaine!!! You awesome crazy for Jesus man of God!!! It is great to hear from you again and I hope you are keeping well.

No harm done whatsoever brother. In all things though we must listen to what the Lord is saying to us and learn from Him.

On the subject of voting, I realize that it is inconsequential in the light of eternity but it was posted in general topics where I might also post topics about homeschooling or forms of worship or church structure or how to raise my children...all of these things are controversial and none of them amount to a "hill of beans in the light of eternity". Perhaps there should not even be a General Topics section? I don't know but I thought the subject matter that my friend Bill raised was worthy of reading and I was hoping that it would bless others. Not so it seems...and it seems also, that I am learning what an interesting place this site is to visit:)

Please do not comment on the voting part above brother...but do touch on the other issues if the Lord leads you. Much love to you brother Blaine, I do hope to catch up with you again in the flesh soon!!!

2012/10/20 15:30

Re: prayer for SermonIndex

Hi brother Greg,
I understand and will be praying more for this wonderful blessing from the Lord, site that He has called you to steward. If there is ever anything I can do to help, let me know.

I miss you and all the brothers from that exceptional Sunday in Atlanta...we must figure out a way to have a reunion:)

Love in Christ,
Mark

2012/10/20 15:34

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy