SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Response to many thoughts on Recent Revivals

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Mattie

Response to many thoughts on Recent Revivals

There is often discussion that all that happend in the Pensecola outpouring was people getting "drunk" in the Spirit or "laughing". What needs to be emphasized is that men and women repented of sinful living and gave themselves wholly to Jesus Christ, not to manifestations. Many are now preaching the gospel to the uttermost parts of the earth as a result of what God did at Brownsville. I'm not trying to glorify a movement, or a revival, but I know God did something. Does Satan produce the fruit of the Spirit? Not at all! How can Satan cast out Satan? A kingdom divided can't stand. Wisdom is always justified by her children. We must test things by the truth preached and the fruit brought forth. Yes, manifestations occured at Brownsville. But every revival throughout history had manifestations - Azusa Street, the Great Awakenings, Rochester Revival, etc. Many fell under the power as a result of God's glory, and even burst forth in joyous laughter. Is it all of it God? No. Some of it is flesh. But just because people get carnal doesn't mean we judge the entire thing as counterfeit. I disagree with the majority of what went on in Toronto. Personally I believe God was trying to pour out His Spirit but man got in the way. The emphasis became come get your "blessing" instead of turning away from sin. But I know without a doubt that night after night at the Brownsville revival sin was preached against and thousands as a result in the 4 or 5 years repented of sin and live for Jesus. Always look at a revival in light of truth.

2005/2/26 19:48Profile
Mattie

Re: Response to many thoughts on Recent Revivals

Testing Manifestations in light of Scripture

Ps 126:1-2 "When the Lord brought back the captivity of Zion, we were like those who dream. Then our mouth was FILLED with LAUGHTER, and our tongue with singing." - how much more God bringing someone out of the depth of sin, bondage and eternal damnation. that would give me a reason to dance, shout and laugh with rejoicing!

Job 8:21 "He (God) will yet FILL your mouth with LAUGHING, and your lips with shouts of joy"

Jeremiah 23:9 "All my bones shake, I am like a drunken man, and like a man whom wine has overcome, because of the LORD and because of His holy words"

Habakkuk 3:16 "When I heard, my BODY TREMBLED; My lips quivered at the voice; rottenness entered my bones; and I trembled myself"

Daniel 10:8 "..and NO STRENGTH remained in me, for my vigor was turned to frailty in me, and I retained no strength."

Daniel 8:27 "And I, Daniel, fainted and was sick for days.."

1 Kings 8:10-11 "..and the cloud filled the house of the Lord, so that the priests COULD NOT CONTINUE MINISTERING because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord FILLED the house of the Lord" - how much more the glory of God filling human vessels?!

Joel 2:28 "And in the last days..young men will SEE VISIONS"

2005/2/26 20:11Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re:

My problem with the recent revivals has not been the manifestations as much as it has been the doctrine/teaching that came out of those revivals.

Even the Azusa Street revival that was a major catylist in the birth of my denomination went into error within a few short years.

2005/2/26 21:41Profile
MarkDaniel

Midwest, USA

Re:

I have seen Christian friends, "saved" for 20-30 years, come back from these "revivals" preaching mercy and grace to support living a life of rebellion and your right to be happy and blessed. I've seen them turn away from the Bible and scripture and spirits of pride, anger, and vindictiveness if you do not swear allegiance to these movements instead of an allegiance to Jesus Christ.

I have seen them reproduce these "revivals" by spirit conjuring, showing signs and wonders, and promising blessings or healing to one's self, but never a soul won for the Kingdom. Turning away from sin, repentance, and obedience is considered old and "under the law" for them now. It's all about the "spirit" now, not about Jesus. They follow false prophets and teachers who tickle their itching ears. It has been scary and sobering to watch. I've seen the fruit. Praise God if you have seen good fruit! I have not unfortunately.

2005/2/26 23:10Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: Response to many thoughts on Recent Revivals

Hi Mattie,

Please don't take my comments as bashing revivals. I'm in agreement with you that there were some genuine conversions at Brownsville and Repentance was preached.

2005/2/26 23:25Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

You know usually I would have written a very different response to the one I am writing now were it not for the very somber fact that our Lord has been teaching me that, not all people mean well. As Dr. Tozer said, “only a fool will look at a man come at him with a bloody knife and say, “oh, he means well”…it will be the last thing he ever says!”

2 Timothy2:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

I have found it hard to accept that there are people out there who actually have no desire to see truth and light. I now tend to be more with Jeremy:

Quote:
My problem with the recent revivals has not been the manifestations as much as it has been the doctrine/teaching that came out of those revivals.

2005/2/26 23:44Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy