Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : EVERLASTING COVENANT - Gary Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 EVERLASTING COVENANT - Gary Wilkerson

“Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises” (Hebrews 8:6, ESV).

“I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt” (8:8-9).

God took His people by the hand and led them out of bondage, out of slavery, out of misery. He led them miraculously by opening up the Red Sea into the wilderness and then into the Promised Land. That is a good covenant, but Hebrews says that the new covenant is better and more excellent.

The second part of Hebrews 8:9 tells us: “For they did not continue in my covenant.” That is why a new covenant was needed.

“For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall not teach, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest. For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more” (Hebrews 8:10-12 ESV).

God says the new covenant is going to be better, more excellent than the old, not like the one He made with the children of Israel in Egypt. He is going to do something different this time; it is not just a covenant He makes but a new power that He gives. The new power will enable us so that we can be almost as faithful as He is in keeping His covenant because He is now living in us. That is the difference in this covenant, the everlasting covenant!

2012/10/15 11:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy