Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : R. C. Sproul

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

R. C. Sproul

I have heard of him but actually listened to a teaching of his today and I was blown away. This teaching was on history in England and when the Christians came to America. He made some observations about some small towns in New England with a church being in the center but now there are growing cities in which the churches are being placed on the outside of town. The observations blew me away.

What does anyone know of this teacher? I am going to look for some podcasts of his and see what else he has to offer.

John

2012/10/12 23:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: R. C. Sproul

Brother,

He is a bible theologian and for me part of the danger of a theologian is they teach others on God and encourage people read and learn teachings but to act on the Gospel is really all that matters in the end.

One major problem I personally have with the church being the centre of society is that it is not supposed to be! We are part of a kingdom that is not of this earth and though we can be accepted for a short season in the end we will follow the same path of Hebrews 11 where our fathers in the faith were maligned, mis-treated and even murdered.

When an entire society embraces Christian values this can actually at times work against the spread of the true Gospel. In the days of Whitefield and Wesley there was a large consensus of Christians yet not many were truly regenerate and born-again of the Spirit of God.

To me what matters a million times more than having a proper systematic theology is if we are praying, if we are believing God, having faith in God during our daily life. Is the Holy Spirit of God making us more like Christ? Then we will be living epistles and a true temple where God dwells by His Spirit admist the city or town where we live.

We desired many years ago to add his materials to the site and were asked not to have them up here is the discussion thread on this: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=516&forum=34&9

Just some thoughts to consider.

2012/10/12 23:13Profile
savannah

You ask,

"What does anyone know of this teacher?"

I answer,

He is excellent! All his books and tapes are highly recommended. Many, including myself, have been blessed by the ministry God has given to him.

Be blessed!

2012/10/12 23:21Profile
savannah

Re: R.C. Sproul

"I became a theologian that I might be a better pastor", one man has said. And that ought to be every theologians heart cry. The heart of such a man longs to know Christ and His Truth by His Spirit and His Word. With the intent that he may help and guide the flock of God.

R.C. Sproul is both a pastor and a theologian. He has written much in defense of the faith as an apologist.

He has also written on and taught on the practical living of the christian faith. He himself has lived the life, and to my knowlege is above reproach.

Here are a few noteworthy titles:

Pleasing God (book or audio teaching)
By R.C. Sproul

A world of people have no idea nor care about what the words sanctification and righteousness mean. Then how can the idea of a holy God mean anything to them? R. C. Sproul believes these words are still important-- especially for Christians--if we are to understand God or know how to live for him. Believers may become uncomfortable when they see Dr. Sproul's honest look at how the sins of pride, slothfulness, and dishonesty permeate the Christian's life. But Pleasing God is basically a message of hope. Sproul points out the failures, but he also points to the way out of spiritual lethargy and lackadaisical living.

The Intimate Marriage (book)
By R.C. Sproul

R.C. Sproul offers this practical guide to help married couples-or those seeking to get married-develop the skills of marriage. Dilligently scriptural, Sproul shows how marriages can have an abundance of joy when grounded in the wisdom of God. Sproul walks through some of the toughest things couples struggle with today: communication, sex, roles, divorce, anger, and more. He shares what the Bible says about each, as well as lessons he has learned from his own marriage of forty years.

Christian Living Teaching Series
by R.C. Sproul

In our discussion of God’s purpose for our lives we often forget that His will is that we become sanctified. These practical messages by R.C. Sproul are for those desiring to understand the process of spiritual growth and understand how the Word of God applies to topics such as spiritual growth, the Christian family, prayer, and worship.

Be blessed!

2012/10/13 0:15Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Greg

I understand what you say about R. C. Sproul. What fascinated me was his observations of history and how it plays as in the community as time goes by. To see the influence of a religious idea and how it affects society down the road and in different countries as it spreads makes for a fascinating read. Sort of reminds me of the book 'The Twilight Labyrinth' by George Otis Jr. Fascinating read but with him I think some of his stories are fabricated.

2012/10/13 8:55Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I have enjoyed R.C. Sproul's writings in the past but like any writer they must be approached with caution because it is the WORD that has the final authority in matters of doctrine and life.

Years ago I read where Sproul loves to teach the pre-school SS class. He says they are teachable whereas the adults have their minds made up! After I read that, I became more aware how influential a teacher is to the life of a growing child, including me. I had a wonderful SS teacher when I was perhaps 12 years old. Her methods have stayed with me to this day and are the ones I use to teach, still. Yes, this story changed my outlook on the importance of teaching children...actually, I love it. And Sproul is right, adults have their minds made up.

2012/10/13 10:34Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Just thought of something, John.

Recently you wrote in a post about your intellectual struggles as pertaining to the WORD, etc. I did not think about it then, but do now.

Have you ever listened to Ravi Zacharias? He has a radio program. These are archived on his website where you can listen to them for hours.

Anyhow. Ravi's ministry is geared to intellectuals, primarily those of a New Age mindset. He speaks to college students all over the world. I suggest you give him a listen. I used to listen to him for hours when my computer was in the same room as my sewing machine - I sewed and was preached to at the same time! Excellent combination!

BTW, Ravi is of Asian descent, born to Indian parents in India. Grew up there, went to the university in INdia before coming to Canada. Today he lives in Atlanta, Ga. Or at least he did...is married to Margie.

2012/10/13 10:48Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I have heard some of Ravi's stuff. He is a bit over the top for me. He tends to leave my head swimming is goulash at times. Just gets too wordy at times for me. I like relational stuff. Such as what what I posted in the submission post because it helps me make more sense of how relateable and reliable the bible is in our day and God shows Himself to be true and what that looks like in our society.

I can listen to Ravi's stuff but only as it is relational. I have heard some things from his program that caused me to have an AHA moment such as knowing when a man's heart is too hard in which he won't be saved or to use violence in such an incident. Something some pacifists would object to.

The R. C. Sproul post I made was in relation to how religious beliefs affect society from the top down and the observations one can make from the past. Again, how does it all relate back to them today and then answering the tough mental questions as well.

I appreciate your contribution on this?
btw, I had a crush on one of Ravi's daughter and then she went and got married on me. Can you believe that???? lol

2012/10/13 11:19Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I like R C Sproul other than he is not pro Israel and pro Infant Baptism, he is an expert in the history of Ideas

2012/10/13 14:13Profile
brothagary

Re:

if you are looking for a good video sermon from sproul

go to you tube and type THE PRESIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST

its nice to hear the blood of christ esteamed

paul washer was greatly effected spiritualy by some of rc.sprouls teachings ,,,,called the holyness of god ,,,i think that was the name

2012/10/13 20:43Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy